Author Topic: Water Vapor on Dwarf Planet in Asteroid Belt  (Read 125 times)

Online DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +40/-7
Water Vapor on Dwarf Planet in Asteroid Belt
« on: January 22, 2014, 04:39:36 PM »

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140122132535.htm

Jan. 22, 2014 — Scientists using the Herschel space observatory have made the first definitive detection of water vapor on the largest and roundest object in the asteroid belt, Ceres.
Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +74/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Re: Water Vapor on Dwarf Planet in Asteroid Belt
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 05:40:15 PM »
Very interesting; thanks, DVZ3. There must be a lot of volatiles in Ceres, if we can still observe their release in the present era. Bodies like that could provide useful resources for future exploration / exploitation of the solar system.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +296/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Water Vapor on Dwarf Planet in Asteroid Belt
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 12:37:26 AM »

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140122132535.htm

Jan. 22, 2014 — Scientists using the Herschel space observatory have made the first definitive detection of water vapor on the largest and roundest object in the asteroid belt, Ceres.

I read this yesterday, I was going to post it as well but a bit busy. I thought it was cool.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.