Author Topic: "...and lean not on your own understanding"  (Read 974 times)

Offline Grendel

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
"...and lean not on your own understanding"
« on: January 21, 2014, 09:30:24 PM »
I heard that platitude over and over growing up, and it just hit me recently - isn't that the most ass backwards, ignorant, fascist/authoritarian sentiment ever? I mean it pretty much sums up religion as a whole, right? "Don't rely on your own understanding of anything - sit back unthinking and let the leaders tell you what to think instead."
This 'free will' nonsense didn't seem to bother your god when it set up the sting operation in the Garden of Eden with two magic trees and a Talking Snake™

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +223/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
Re: "...and lean not on your own understanding"
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 09:47:18 PM »
Proverbs 3:5

So you will find favor and good repute In the sight of God and man. 5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.…

I think it's predicated on the idea that you believe the Jewish God exists, first. But it could be abused to make you believe any shit.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 10:33:04 PM »

I think it's predicated on the idea that you believe the Jewish God exists, first.

Of course it is. And subsequently makes absolute sense to those that do.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +223/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 10:50:16 PM »
You aren't Jewish, though. You would need Paul to say something like it.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +301/-32
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 10:54:07 PM »
I heard that platitude over and over growing up, and it just hit me recently - isn't that the most ass backwards, ignorant, fascist/authoritarian sentiment ever? I mean it pretty much sums up religion as a whole, right? "Don't rely on your own understanding of anything - sit back unthinking and let the leaders tell you what to think instead."

It doesn't even make sense in that context.  Because one still has to lean on one's own understanding of what the leaders say about what to think.  The only way to actually follow that line is to cease thinking entirely.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 11:22:00 PM »
That is what the medieval Christians were supposed to do. Just follow what the church leaders said. But some troublemakers leaned on their own understanding so far that they fell right out of the Catholic Church and started Protestantism. Lucky for many of today's evangelicals.

Right, MM? You are not Catholic, as I recall.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +57/-453
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 01:19:07 AM »
This verse is about how we should follow God and keep our trust in Him.

Imagine a father taking their child to a doctor for a shot. The child may scream and shake in terror but the father says "lean not on your own understanding and trust me" and the child does and eventually learns why he had to get the shot. It's not because the father hates the child and wants him to suffer in agony, even though it may seem like that when the child is shaking in terror before the shot.

So, if someone tells you something and it contradicts the Word of the Lord, why should anyone listen to that person? Would you rather trust God or a mere mortal?
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +301/-32
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 01:21:23 AM »
A father would not tell his son never to lean on his own understanding.  For then the son would never grow up.

By the way, skep, whose understanding do you lean on to understand the Bible?
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +57/-453
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 01:27:59 AM »
A father would not tell his son never to lean on his own understanding.  For then the son would never grow up.

To be honest, I lean on God's understanding. God gave us a brain for a reason. Everything is a test to see if we can pass it. This is why if a scientific fact contradicts the Bible, it can not be a fact. It must be wrong based on flawed understanding. Science allows us to study the orderly universe God made for us. This is why I feel that Creation Science is the perfect type of science.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +301/-32
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 02:46:00 AM »
So wait...to use your brain is to employ "God's understanding".  What, then, is the "your understanding" to which that bible passage refers?  Because everyone uses their own brains, for good or ill.  We can hardly do otherwise.

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 02:46:19 AM »

To be honest, I lean on God's understanding. God gave us a brain for a reason. Everything is a test to see if we can pass it. This is why if a scientific fact contradicts the Bible, it can not be a fact. It must be wrong based on flawed understanding. Science allows us to study the orderly universe God made for us. This is why I feel that Creation Science is the perfect type of science.

Classic.
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +301/-32
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 02:48:00 AM »
Of course, since skep is really his own god, it makes sense for him to say that he uses "God's understanding" when he uses his own brain.

His own brain is God's own brain.  He sits on that big 'ol throne and preaches downward to all.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-93
  • "Question Everything"
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 05:01:49 AM »

Yea that really don't make sense to me.  It's not a personal relationship with God.  The only person I trust with my soul is me.  Every belief I have is based on my own journey and the love/hope I have for mankind.

Peace and Joy,

JB
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline penfold

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +67/-4
  • ...buzz buzz buzz...
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 05:12:31 AM »
A little bit of etymology for you all:

Orthadoxy: from ancient Greek; orthos - straight / right  &  doxa - belief

Heresy: from ancient Greek; hairesis - choice

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." - P.K.D.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 04:53:18 PM »

If by "perfect" you mean pointless in explanation, useless in application and lacking all predictive capability, then yeah, the science of the bible is perfect.

You do not seem to understand that for the past 2000 years, people have already tried using the bible as if it was a science manual. It failed miserably. It was not until people stopped trying to rely on the bible and started investigating the real world that we began to get scientific advances.

Unless I missed the parts of the bible that taught how entire populations could be cured of the black plague and vaccinated against smallpox. The bible is not unique in its lack of treatment for leprosy or mental illness, lack of basic understanding how disease is transmitted, lack of ways to reduce infant and maternal mortality. Nobody knew that stuff back then, which is why it is not in the bible!

People tried to accept the bible as fact and authorities even punished the people who pointed out places where the bible and the real world did not match up. (Geocentrism vs heliocentrism, anyone?) Even the supposedly instructional stuff is useless-- nobody has ever been able to build seaworthy boats like Noah's ark using what the bible said. Like, they figured it out and then immediately forgot how to build them? It took years of real science, math and engineering to build large seaworthy vessels that can actually transport people and animals over long distances. It is ludicrous to think that people had that capability in ancient times but only used it once.[1]

Besides being entirely wrong on everything from the age of the planet to the composition of the stars, to the evolution of modern living beings, and the extinction of thousands of past species, religion completely missed the boat on many of the most basic principles that help us live better today than in ancient times.

Like:
Wash hands before eating, and after handling sick people, dead bodies or excrement.
Isolate sick people from the healthy ones whenever possible.
Protect people, especially children and babies, from rats, flies and mosquitoes. 
Boil water before drinking.

Those simple, practical additions to the bible or any other ancient religious text-- taking up far less space than one paragraph of pointless begats-- would have saved millions of real lives and convinced people of the powerful wisdom of god.

Instead, we get lists of hundreds of commandments that don't make any sense. How about a simple controlled experiment to teach people why washing hands before eating, or boiling water before drinking is a good idea? 

The lord sayeth unto thee: Have 10 people wash hands and 10 not and count how many in each group get sick during one month. Then predict how many will get sick if you increase the numbers to 100 in each group. Try it again. Record the results. Come up with some explanations about what you have observed and do some more experiments. Tell another group of people to test your conclusions. See if they get the same results. Thus sayeth the lord.

Boom. Explanation, application and prediction. That's science. God could have done that, right? Would that have been so hard?

That would have been far more useful to humanity than pages of instructions on how to properly sacrifice an animal, why you should never pick up sticks on the sabbath, or stories about a guy who was swallowed by a whale. And it would encourage thinking, discovery, and learning instead of following rules without knowing why, or obeying commandments by rote out of fear.

If I am mistaken and there is some useful, applicable science in any ancient religious text, show me, and I will retract my rant.
 1. It is so clearly mythical that I can't imagine how anyone today can really believe the story.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +296/-38
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 04:55:24 PM »
Adding to nogodsforme's post, has anyone pointed out the Bible's "cure" for leprosy? You know, with the birds and the blood?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Xero-Kill

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • Wait... what?
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 05:35:13 PM »
To be honest, I lean on God's understanding.

How do you know? How do you discern between your own understanding and the divine understanding? Are there times when you think you understand something but God contradicts you with a different understanding? How can you be sure that you are not being deceived?

God gave us a brain for a reason. Everything is a test to see if we can pass it.

Excellent! So, God gave us a brain so that we might pass his tests... and you are certain that you are passing this test? Why? How do you know that the test isn't actually designed to test a persons gullibility and that accepting a wildly inaccurate and contradictory source such as the bible constitutes a failure of said test? Why are you so certain about your answer?

This is why if a scientific fact contradicts the Bible, it can not be a fact. It must be wrong based on flawed understanding.

So there is absolutely zero room for any competing point of views? If the bible says it, it's true... full stop? And yet, we are the ones constantly being accused of closed-mindedness.

Science allows us to study the orderly universe God made for us.

The strike through is there to illustrate a principle known as Occam's Razor. The extra information at the end of the sentence is meaningless and adds nothings but conjecture to an otherwise completely true statement. I struck out "orderly" as well because it is also unnecessary and when you get right down to it, there is very little order in the Universe. Maybe in our little macrocosm things appear to be orderly but when you get down to the atomic and quantum scale... shit be cray! The same is true of the exceptionally large scale, such as in stars and galaxies.

This is why I feel that Creation Science is the perfect type of science.

The underlined portion belies the "truth" of your entire worldview... it is what you feel, not what you know, not what you understand, not what you observe.
"Our fathers were our models for God. If our fathers bailed, what does that tell you about God? You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you. He never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. This is not the worst thing that can happen."

~Tyler Durden

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 06:25:50 PM »
This is why I feel that Creation Science is the perfect type of science.

and this is why we think you are of limited intellect
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +602/-19
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 12:39:40 AM »
Like:
Wash hands before eating, and after handling sick people, dead bodies or excrement.
Protect people, especially children and babies, from rats, flies and mosquitoes. 
There's a lot more really simple things that could easily have been included in the Bible that would have made so much of a difference to literally millions of lives.  From cleaning rags and implements used to treat injured people with boiling water, to separating sick and injured people from each other to keep them from catching opportunistic diseases, to using metal casks for long-term storage of potable water, to making sure people eat enough fresh fruits and vegetables, especially on long sea trips, to not dumping trash in the bay, to keeping streets clean of animal leavings and chamber pot residue...

I read a book a while back about humans who had to flee Earth to keep hostile aliens from wiping them out.  Most of the colonists were in cryo-sleep and were programmed to believe in a religion intentionally concocted by the leader of the expedition in order to stifle human advancement and prevent the survivors from catching the notice of the hostile aliens.  Their holy book, written by people who had access to advanced human knowledge, included all the things I mentioned and more as ways to prove the veracity of the religion.  People who followed the 'religious' laws thrived, people who didn't got sick and died a lot of the time.

If technologically-advanced humans can do that good of a job of writing a religious book with actual, legitimate knowledge in it that prevented a lot of needless human suffering, why then don't we see an even better job coming from the holy books which are purportedly written (or at least dictated) by actual gods?

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +438/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 11:37:14 AM »
There's a lot more really simple things that could easily have been included in the Bible that would have made so much of a difference to literally millions of lives.
Like a small disclaimer at the beginning of the book:

"Don't believe everything you read.
You have a mind.
Please use it responsibly."
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +105/-2
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 02:42:34 PM »

I admire the depth of your faith.  Yet, it also confuses me at times which, I presume, is due to not having the same depth of faith as you. 

Can you give me an example of a scientific fact which contradicts the Bible?  Please note I am not asking for a scientific theory or hypothesis; rather a scientific fact.

It appears through various satellite photos that there are galaxies in the process of colliding with each other.  How are colliding galaxies a sign of an orderly universe?

Ever curious,

OldChurchGuy

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 03:29:22 PM »

It appears through various satellite photos that there are galaxies in the process of colliding with each other.  How are colliding galaxies a sign of an orderly universe?

Ever curious,

OldChurchGuy

he's a Pinball Wizard, there HAS to be a twist!!
It's one of the reasons I'm an atheist today.  I decided to take my religion seriously, and that's when it started to fall apart for me.
~jdawg70

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +355/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 11:36:17 PM »
That would have been far more useful to humanity than pages of instructions on how to properly sacrifice an animal, why you should never pick up sticks on the sabbath, or stories about a guy who was swallowed by a whale. And it would encourage thinking, discovery, and learning instead of following rules without knowing why, or obeying commandments by rote out of fear.

If I am mistaken and there is some useful, applicable science in any ancient religious text, show me, and I will retract my rant.

This would be, assuming Biblegod knows science.

;)

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +57/-453
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 01:40:28 AM »

If by "perfect" you mean pointless in explanation, useless in application and lacking all predictive capability, then yeah, the science of the bible is perfect.

You do not seem to understand that for the past 2000 years, people have already tried using the bible as if it was a science manual. It failed miserably. It was not until people stopped trying to rely on the bible and started investigating the real world that we began to get scientific advances.

Unless I missed the parts of the bible that taught how entire populations could be cured of the black plague and vaccinated against smallpox. The bible is not unique in its lack of treatment for leprosy or mental illness, lack of basic understanding how disease is transmitted, lack of ways to reduce infant and maternal mortality. Nobody knew that stuff back then, which is why it is not in the bible!

People tried to accept the bible as fact and authorities even punished the people who pointed out places where the bible and the real world did not match up. (Geocentrism vs heliocentrism, anyone?) Even the supposedly instructional stuff is useless-- nobody has ever been able to build seaworthy boats like Noah's ark using what the bible said. Like, they figured it out and then immediately forgot how to build them? It took years of real science, math and engineering to build large seaworthy vessels that can actually transport people and animals over long distances. It is ludicrous to think that people had that capability in ancient times but only used it once.[1]

Besides being entirely wrong on everything from the age of the planet to the composition of the stars, to the evolution of modern living beings, and the extinction of thousands of past species, religion completely missed the boat on many of the most basic principles that help us live better today than in ancient times.

Like:

Those simple, practical additions to the bible or any other ancient religious text-- taking up far less space than one paragraph of pointless begats-- would have saved millions of real lives and convinced people of the powerful wisdom of god.

Instead, we get lists of hundreds of commandments that don't make any sense. How about a simple controlled experiment to teach people why washing hands before eating, or boiling water before drinking is a good idea? 

The lord sayeth unto thee: Have 10 people wash hands and 10 not and count how many in each group get sick during one month. Then predict how many will get sick if you increase the numbers to 100 in each group. Try it again. Record the results. Come up with some explanations about what you have observed and do some more experiments. Tell another group of people to test your conclusions. See if they get the same results. Thus sayeth the lord.

Boom. Explanation, application and prediction. That's science. God could have done that, right? Would that have been so hard?

1. It is so clearly mythical that I can't imagine how anyone today can really believe the story.

Suppose all that stuff WAS in the Bible. You know what people would say? "Of course it's in the Bible. It's common knowledge! Everyone knows about hygiene."

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2014, 10:27:27 AM »
Suppose all that stuff WAS in the Bible. You know what people would say? "Of course it's in the Bible. It's common knowledge! Everyone knows about hygiene."

Do you really think everyone would say that if this stuff was proved to have been written BEFORE it was common knowledge?
It's one of the reasons I'm an atheist today.  I decided to take my religion seriously, and that's when it started to fall apart for me.
~jdawg70

Offline Xero-Kill

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • Wait... what?
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2014, 10:41:15 AM »

You are right, it would be common sense... so the fact that something so trivial is not only absent from the book but is directly contradicted in SO many cases doesn't make you wonder, even a little? Why don't you look up what the bible has to say about hygiene as far as menstruation is concerned, or the method of curing leprosy, or the dictates on mating donkeys. So, because there are somethings that ARE common sense, and you cling so fiercely to a book that flies in the face of that common sense; what does that tell you about your faith in the bible as a source of ultimate truth and understanding?

If I wanted to breed a striped donkey, which book do you suppose will help me achieve my goal; the bible or a scientific textbook on genetics? Mind you, BOTH books have something to say on the subject.
"Our fathers were our models for God. If our fathers bailed, what does that tell you about God? You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you. He never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. This is not the worst thing that can happen."

~Tyler Durden

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2014, 10:41:35 AM »

Just because you are intellectually bankrupt, don't assume everyone else is also.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2014, 05:43:07 PM »

Do you really think everyone would say that if this stuff was proved to have been written BEFORE it was common knowledge?

Sorry, Boots, but it is clear to me now.  There is no Tooth Fairy, no Santa Claus, no joy in Mudville, no god in heaven, and no hope for skeptic. How many ways can you miss the point?

Point is, skeptic mon ami, that simple basic hygiene stuff is most decidedly NOT in the bible.

Point is, skeptic mi amigo, that using the bible gets you absolutely NOWHERE in terms of scientific or technological advances.

Point is, skeptic my friend, that cultures all over the world did far BETTER (Chinese, Mayan, Inca, etc.) in terms of scientific discovery--astronomy, geometry, medicine, agriculture, you name it-- by investigating the natural world, instead of using the bible.   

Point is, skeptic you braniac, that there is NOTHING in the bible that indicates any special knowledge that one might reasonably expect of the supreme being and creator of the universe.

Parody of skeptic: "Suppose that prayers to my god really did start to work like it says in the bible, and arms grew back on. You know what people would just say? 'It's no big deal. Who cares if prayer makes arms grow back--I still love sin.'  Because people want to hate on god more than they want to heal amputees."

Hopeless. Just hopeless. If I could roll my eyes to the back of my head it would not be far enough. &)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 05:45:59 PM by nogodsforme »

Offline Grendel

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2014, 07:01:07 PM »
Can you give me an example of a scientific fact which contradicts the Bible?  Please note I am not asking for a scientific theory or hypothesis; rather a scientific fact.

Ever curious,

OldChurchGuy

It sounds like you need to brush up on exactly what a scientific theory is. Don't worry, it's a common problem with theists.
This 'free will' nonsense didn't seem to bother your god when it set up the sting operation in the Garden of Eden with two magic trees and a Talking Snake™