Author Topic: Not much discussion?  (Read 693 times)

Offline b.a.worldchanger

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-3
  • WWGHA Member
Not much discussion?
« on: January 20, 2014, 02:36:05 AM »
I guess I was expecting more discussion in here since it is supposed to be a specialized area for theists to interact with atheists without being overwhelmed or bombarded.  Are there not many theists here in the shelter?

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
Re: Not much discussion?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 04:08:24 AM »
I guess I was expecting more discussion in here since it is supposed to be a specialized area for theists to interact with atheists without being overwhelmed or bombarded.  Are there not many theists here in the shelter?

Many who get sent here leave.

Others simply do not get sent here.

Some get banned.

Generally there is no real theist argument that is valid, so anything that is made is swiftly debunked anyway.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline b.a.worldchanger

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 10:55:11 AM »

Many who get sent here leave.

Others simply do not get sent here.

Some get banned.

Generally there is no real theist argument that is valid, so anything that is made is swiftly debunked anyway.

I requested access from the mods thinking there might be more discussion without so much bombardment like I see in many of the main threads.  The main threads also tend to be fairly aggressive, at times.  But, moreso overwhelming since there are so few theists here.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 10:58:36 AM »
There are definitely more atheists than theists on this forum.

The Shelter is a safe place for theists to come and discuss issues of importance to them in a respectful environment.  All theists are welcome to join the Shelter, and a select number of atheists have been invited to participate in the discussions here.

If there is a topic you are interested in discussing, please start a thread.  I'm sure that there will be folks who join in.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 01:13:55 PM »
You don't have to be sent to the shelter.  It was meant to be voluntary.  When I was a theist I started some topics here that I preferred to explore without dealing with some of the more antagonistic, aggressive members weighing in.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +654/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 02:00:03 PM »
Just as a general FYI, nobody gets "sent" to the Shelter.  Anyone who identifies as a theist gets access in addition to the forum at large.  Only certain atheists - those who are less agressive or antagonistic - get access to the Shelter.  It was an effort to keep theists around.  Generally the pattern is theists show up, get bombarded, freak out, and leave.  The Shelter was an experiment to try to given them a place to acclimate without being overwhelmed.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline b.a.worldchanger

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 07:01:20 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for giving me a bit more information on the purpose of the shelter.  I like the concept.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 06:29:21 AM »
Hello BA,

I'm junebug, nice to meet you.  I am a surviving theist on the forum.  I have been tempted many times to leave but I'm hooked on this place. 

I am not a Christian I am spiritual and religion pretty much disgusts me. 

Peace and Joy,

JB
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline b.a.worldchanger

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 03:45:29 PM »
Nice to "meet" you virtually, June Bug!

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 05:08:19 AM »

Nice to meet you BA.  If I can ever be of service to you let me know!

So what brings you to an atheist forum?
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline b.a.worldchanger

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 01:40:41 PM »

Nice to meet you BA.  If I can ever be of service to you let me know!

So what brings you to an atheist forum?

Thanks JB!  I came here because I felt drawn to talk with atheists.  I have a few friends who are atheist, and I see a trend in Western Culture of a rising group of people who have no religious affiliation.  So, I wanted to get more information, rather than just simply reading about trends.  I wanted to meet some people in a community outside of my own and interact rather than just reading about it from a distance.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 06:04:46 AM »
You're very welcome BA.  Brace yourself.  It's hard to handle.  These folks are very smart and angry.  They're not angry with you personally.  They are just angry because they want people to think rationally and they don't.  I'll have to say I am with them on that one.

So why do you think you were lead here?  I know you think you were lead here I'm not questioning that I'm asking you, what do you believe the reason is?

I was frustrated with my boss at work so I typed God into my search engine.  This place popped up.  I've been here ever since.  I've learned so much.

JB
Thomas Paine

Offline b.a.worldchanger

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 08:56:18 PM »
You're very welcome BA.  Brace yourself.  It's hard to handle.  These folks are very smart and angry.  They're not angry with you personally.  They are just angry because they want people to think rationally and they don't.  I'll have to say I am with them on that one.

So why do you think you were lead here?  I know you think you were lead here I'm not questioning that I'm asking you, what do you believe the reason is?

I was frustrated with my boss at work so I typed God into my search engine.  This place popped up.  I've been here ever since.  I've learned so much.

JB

Well, as I said, I have a few friends who are atheists (that didn't use to be).  Plus, I wanted to meet some people in a community outside of my own and interact rather than just reading about atheism from a distance.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 06:01:06 AM »

JB

Well, as I said, I have a few friends who are atheists (that didn't use to be).  Plus, I wanted to meet some people in a community outside of my own and interact rather than just reading about atheism from a distance.

Well I would suggest that you be very very careful what you say here.  Most religious folk come here with their biblical beliefs and just end up encouraging non belief.

There is absolutely nothing in the bible that will change minds around here.  Most of these guys know the bible inside and out.  I wish I had listened more before I started speaking here. 

Are you anti-gay BA?  I'm asking because of that link you posted in another thread.  It was about a gay man that married a woman.  Well I guess he is bi-sexual instead of gay.  We will see if that marriage lasts.  The gay community will keep him "straight". lol 

I doubt very seriously his life has been threatened.  Where's the proof of that?  It was a terrible suggestion to use that article to counsel a young gay man, IMO.

I am gay. 

Sincerely,

JB
Thomas Paine

Offline b.a.worldchanger

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 04:15:58 AM »
Well I would suggest that you be very very careful what you say here.  Most religious folk come here with their biblical beliefs and just end up encouraging non belief.

There is absolutely nothing in the bible that will change minds around here.  Most of these guys know the bible inside and out.  I wish I had listened more before I started speaking here.

I have definitely observed this, which is why I have said very little.

Are you anti-gay BA?

No.

I'm asking because of that link you posted in another thread.  It was about a gay man that married a woman.  Well I guess he is bi-sexual instead of gay.  We will see if that marriage lasts.  The gay community will keep him "straight". lol

He would be bi-sexual if he is, indeed, attracted to men.  It's been awhile since I posted the article, but I thought he claimed to be straight.

I doubt very seriously his life has been threatened.  Where's the proof of that? 

They are his own claims, which may or may not be accurate.  But, in our society today, lives have been threatened by others for all kinds of seemingly unfathomable reasons.

It was a terrible suggestion to use that article to counsel a young gay man, IMO.

I don't recall the purpose being to counsel an individual. I thought the articles, originally, were requested for a group discussion topics, but it was some time ago...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:17:38 AM by b.a.worldchanger »