Author Topic: Nun gives birth  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +131/-7
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
Nun gives birth
« on: January 18, 2014, 11:03:33 PM »
Hope this doesn't become a habit ...

Nun gives birth to baby boy, says she didn't know she was pregnant

A SALVADOREAN nun who said she had no idea she was pregnant gave birth in Italy this week after she felt stomach cramps in her convent and was rushed to hospital.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 11:05:09 PM by Chronos »
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Nun gives birth
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 01:06:34 AM »
Yeah...she didn't know. Just like Mary and Joseph didn't have sex before marriage. "I swear, I'm a virgin. It must have been god who gave me this precious gift. I'm going to name him after his father, Immanuel...I mean, Joseph. Joseph is his father, I swear. No, I mean, god is his father. No, he is god. Praise, Jesus!"

-Nam
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 01:08:58 AM by Nam »
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 01:17:41 PM »
I wonder what this nun's order is going to say about breaking here vows..... I did hear, though, that the nuns were going to bring it up.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 04:23:04 AM »
The baby boy is presently, of course, an Atheist.
Now, suppose the pope gets wind of this ... mightn't he figure this is THE way to boots the number of catholics in the world.
Not like the catholic church is short on horny priests, now is it?
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 04:55:49 AM »
The baby boy is presently, of course, an Atheist.
Now, suppose the pope gets wind of this ... mightn't he figure this is THE way to boost the number of Catholics in the world.
Not like the catholic church is short on horny priests, now is it?

The Church may not be short of 'horny' priests now but in many places there are juts not enough being trained for ministry. This really spans all the churches but a recent documentary about the training of Catholic priests in England showed there were very few compared with earlier times being trained. The need to recruit and train priests is actually quite urgent.

I quite like the idea of nuns giving birth and the offspring being brought up as priests but I doubt the hierarchy are as impressed
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 05:06:56 AM »
The Church may not be short of 'horny' priests now but in many places there are juts not enough being trained for ministry. This really spans all the churches but a recent documentary about the training of Catholic priests in England showed there were very few compared with earlier times being trained. The need to recruit and train priests is actually quite urgent.

Right next door to my university, there was an actual seminary. During my entire time at uni there were a grand total of ... two priest-in-training there. And both of them dropped out. Nuff said.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Retired Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 05:08:45 AM »
Don't...like...pregnant chicks get distended abdomens when they are pregnant?

How could someone not notice that?
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 05:53:35 AM »
No, actually, I've come across all kinds of women who don't 'show'.
Women of all kinds of body types. You think only overweight women could be pregnant without noticing but I've come across skinny women who could just keep wearing their regular clothes, even at 9 months pregnant.
What we have here is a woman who was probably wearing loose fitting clothes, who was probably sticking to a fairly strict diet and who would most likely have been pretty much clueless about sexuality and reproduction ... entirely possible that she indeed hadn't  the foggiest about what was going on.

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 06:03:23 AM »
No, actually, I've come across all kinds of women who don't 'show'.
Women of all kinds of body types. You think only overweight women could be pregnant without noticing but I've come across skinny women who could just keep wearing their regular clothes, even at 9 months pregnant.
What we have here is a woman who was probably wearing loose fitting clothes, who was probably sticking to a fairly strict diet and who would most likely have been pretty much clueless about sexuality and reproduction ... entirely possible that she indeed hadn't  the foggiest about what was going on.

... and she wouldn't have noticed when she was, er... inseminated?

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 06:14:25 AM »

Isn't that what's supposed to happen at the seminary?

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 07:02:41 AM »

Are we back to randy priests here?

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 07:40:59 AM »

Are we back to randy priests here?

I have come across, not personally, on TV/youtube, people who did not know sperm and pregnancy were connected somehow.
If you've never had ANY sex-ed at all, as is probably the case with this Salvadoran nun, yes, it's possible you do not know that sex can lead to babies.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 09:25:53 AM »
The first thing I thought of when I heard this story was how it would be a great for the show I Didn't Know I Was PregnantWiki.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 05:57:34 PM »
I read the OP as "Nam gives birth". I assumed he'd coughed up a lung.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 06:38:24 PM »

Now that was funny. :angel:
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 06:45:21 PM »
I have heard of teen girls who denied their pregnancies right up till, horrified, they found themselves in labor.  I have also heard of adult women who just "thought they were getting fat" and then suddenly gave birth. So, pregnancy is not always self-evident, even to the person it is happening to.

The nun could be extremely ignorant of sexuality. Or she could be in such a state of denial that she completely blocked out the fact that she had sex, or as is sadly likely, was raped.  Now she's getting media attention, plus ridicule, shame on her and her family, and possibly losing her post. Great beginning for the child. :(

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 06:48:04 PM »

Now that was funny. :angel:

I did. Assholes came out.

;)

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 06:54:30 PM »
or as is sadly likely, was raped.

What makes it more likely that she was raped than that she just met a bloke who charmed her habit off?
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 08:09:12 PM »
or as is sadly likely, was raped.

What makes it more likely that she was raped than that she just met a bloke who charmed her habit off?

The culture for women in Latin America, esp. the kind of women who become nuns in those countries. It is certainly possible that she just got "charmed" out of her habit by a nice bloke. I hope that she at least had a good time, considering all the hassle she will face now. No way to know for sure unless she says.

But, given the strict behavioral controls on latina women in general and latina nuns especially, my guess would be a less pleasant interaction.  However, culturally she is considered equally at fault no matter how the baby got made. Think there will be any paternity tests among the local priests?  I won't hold my breath.[1]

Remember that movie about the nun who had the baby? I think Jane Fonda played the Mother Superior. The young nun never explained how she got pregnant and maintained that it was god's baby....
 1. I know some El Salvadoran priests. I hope it wasn't any of them! :P

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 08:17:14 PM »
Not sure how much Latin American culture would have had to do with it, as she was at a convent in Italy. She may have lived there most of her life. We don't know. As you allude to, there is simply nothing in the article to indicate the circumstances surrounding her impregnation.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 09:42:20 PM »
This is a good thing, producing another Catholic, a worse case would have been an abortion. I doubt she would be the first nun to got that route.

;D
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 04:11:25 PM »
Not sure how much Latin American culture would have had to do with it, as she was at a convent in Italy. She may have lived there most of her life. We don't know. As you allude to, there is simply nothing in the article to indicate the circumstances surrounding her impregnation.

My bad. I read "Salvadorean" and thought "El Salvador".[1]

The article itself is remarkably sketchy...but it said the woman was 31. Could she really not know how babies were made? :?

If I was queen of the world, I would order paternity tests on all males over 12 who had been within a mile of that convent during the past year. Especially the priests--test them all twice. No reason for the nun to be blamed for a "sin" she could not have committed alone.  :P

Back in the olden days, convents were where they supposedly sent the "bad" girls; not where they were made that way. Yet, one of the complaints against the medieval Catholic church was the numbers of nuns who turned up pregnant, when they only associated with celibate monks, celibate priests and [heh] lay brothers.  ;)
 1. Where, like in Guatemala, outspoken nuns were sometimes raped by the military as punishment for being too political. Under those circumstances, a pregnant nun did not get that way by "charm".

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 04:22:44 PM »
From Garrison Keiler on Prairie Home Companion

An old priest invited the younger new priest to his house for dinner. When the young priest arrived, he was surprised to see that the old priest had a shapely, beautiful, sensuous house maid. During dinner, the young priest finally spoke up. "Father Jacob," he said, "I must ask you about your house maid. She is beautiful. Don't you find it difficult to resist temptation."

The old priest looked at him coyly and said, "Of course not."

A few days later, the house maid approached the old priest, and said, "Father, I'm concerned. I can't find the silver serving spoon. It's always right here in the drawer. I hate to say it, but it's been missing ever since you had dinner with the new priest."

So the old priest, not wanting to seem accusatory, writes the new priest a letter. "Now I'm not saying that you took the silver serving spoon, and I'm not saying that you didn't take the silver serving spoon. But the fact remains that since you were here the silver serving spoon has been missing."

A few days later the old priest received a letter from the new priest. "Now I'm not saying that you're sleeping with your house maid, and I'm not saying that you're not sleeping with your house maid, but the fact remains that if you were sleeping in your own bed, you would have found the serving spoon by now."

Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2014, 04:25:24 PM »
but it said the woman was 31. Could she really not know how babies were made? :?

When I was recently out of college (about 83 years ago), I was Asst. Manager of a fast-food place.  A college student asked the manager whether it was possible for her to get pregnant during anal intercourse.

:o

So, yeah, some women are shockingly ignorant of their bodies.  (never mind the fact that she asked her Arby's manager about anal intercourse--using much courser language--- *shiver*)
It's one of the reasons I'm an atheist today.  I decided to take my religion seriously, and that's when it started to fall apart for me.
~jdawg70

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 04:36:07 PM »
^^^Remind me never to eat at Arby's. :o

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 04:51:25 PM »

in all honesty, I'd eat at Arby's even after having worked there for a year.  The chicken fingers are particularly good.

just avoid speaking to the staff about human sexuality and you'll be fine.
It's one of the reasons I'm an atheist today.  I decided to take my religion seriously, and that's when it started to fall apart for me.
~jdawg70

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2014, 05:06:01 PM »

Don't eat at KFC, either. I knew a girl who once worked there that inserted her "special sauce" directly, and then served it to a customer.

-Nam

Offline G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +50/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2014, 05:28:40 PM »
I quite like the idea of nuns giving birth and the offspring being brought up as priests but I doubt the hierarchy are as impressed

That sounds horrible to me.
I know nothing about the children of nuns so this post may be based in ignorance.. but it wouldn’t be the first time!
That to me sounds like the biggest case of indoctrination and childhood training. Sort of like the idea of the children of soldiers would grow up to be trained soldiers.
Sure if the kid wants to be a priest then by all means. If he wants to venture out of the monastery walls then he should be allowed to. In fact the more I type this post the more I realize that is probably what you meant.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Retired Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2014, 09:57:46 PM »
Don't eat at KFC, either. I knew a girl who once worked there that inserted her "special sauce" directly, and then served it to a customer.

-Nam

That's kind of her, he probably wanted extra ketchup.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.