Author Topic: 10 questions.... and 10 answers [#724]  (Read 300 times)

Offline DL

10 questions.... and 10 answers [#724]
« on: November 25, 2008, 08:44:43 PM »

You want answers..... here they are.
If you have any other questions, or are looking for deeper meanings in the answers, you can visit www.lds.org.

Question 1 – Why doesn’t God heal amputees?

God has healed amputees. Not a lot, but some. And just because He didn’t save their leg/arm doesn’t mean He didn’t bless them in other ways.... maybe they became stronger because of it. Maybe because of their faith in God there were unforeseen infections that they were able to bypass. Who knows? Only God....

Question 2 – Why are there so many starving people in our world?

This could actually answer a couple of your questions.... God sent man to earth to test him. He wanted to make sure we really did want to live with Him, and so He sent us all here to this Earth. And as a part of that, when God created man, He also gave man agency. The right to choose, whether that choice was good or bad. So why are there so many starving people in our world? Well God sent us all here together. For some, He sent them to wealthy homes to live in abundance. For others, they were sent to less fortunate places. It is our choice as individuals and as a people if we want to help each other out. Some spirits are stronger than others, and so they are sent to families and countries that aren’t always the best. God has a plan for us, and although we may not always know what it is, we are taught that God does, and He will pull through for us if we can pull through for Him....

Question 3 – Why does God demand the death of so many innocent people in the Bible?

In the Bible, the people were taught to live by what Christians call the Law of Moses. Because He felt that the people were not ready to receive His full law, He condensed it a little to make it more straightforward and easy to live. With the kinds of laws they had back in the day, you didn’t have to think quite as much, and there was no rationalization. We are still forbidden to commit adultery, asked to keep His Sabbath day holy, commanded to respect , obey and ‘honor’ our parents, and taught that the union between a man and a woman is divine, along with many other things. But God is now relying on us to use the agency His Son paid for with the Atonement to draw closer to Him and better ours and the lives around us. It’s a matter of preparedness.

Question 4 – Why does the Bible contain so much anti-scientific nonsense?

God is proclaimed All-knowing and All-powerful, but man can be very limited. It’s been discovered that man only uses about 2% of the actual brain power given to us.... And so some of the writings in the religious records we find are only the writings of man.... how we have interpreted what has been shown to us. There is a very good chance that man, as learned as he may be, still has made mistakes. And sometimes the things we see are un-interpretable. We are still very much limited by our own minds....
Do science and religion always have to be at odds? Science should be the tool we use to discover God’s greatest creations and mysteries.
Do Evolution and Creationism have to be completely exclusive? Have you ever thought maybe God created the world BY evolution? Our time and God’s time are not the same. It may have been 6 days to Him, but can you imagine how long it might have been according to our measurements?
There has been research into a Great Flood a couple thousand years ago, and there have actually been evidence of one unearthed.... I don’t know the specifics, but it’s something about layers of rock that weren’t supposed to have been covered in water because of the location, but skeletons and bacteria have been found.
Creating Adam from the dust.... doesn’t evolutionism say something about how we evolved from single-celled organisms and bacteria? Referring to what I said above about our minds being limited.... single cells can be very small. To see a change like that occur, one might think a living being sprang right out of the dirt! Something to think about....

Question 5 – Why is God such a huge proponent of slavery in the Bible?

As I said before.... a different people, a different time. God is not a proponent of slavery.... that was another of man’s choices that God has stepped back and said “Alright. I’ve told you what I think about it. It’s your decision.” Also, it was a part of their culture to have servants. Are we not also taught to respect our employers, to do what they ask us to?

Question 6 – Why do bad things happen to good people?

Again, God has given men their agency. A man will be blessed if he is living righteously and endeavors to follow God. But if another man steps in and makes his own not-so-good decisions, God cannot control that individual. He may grant the first strength to endure, a patience he didn’t have before, or a chance to prove his promises. Good things happen to bad people, and bad things happen to bad people, along with good things also happening to good people. We are the ones who choose where we want to be.... and God can give a little nudge in the right direction once in a while, if we ask.

Question 7 – Why didn’t any of Jesus’s miracles in the Bible leave behind any evidence?

I’m afraid I don’t understand what the question is. Are you asking if He left actual physical evidence? Are you asking for evidence that we could prove the miracles today? If so, I’m sorry you haven’t gotten it.... but it happened a long looong time ago, any physical evidence that may have been left behind would be erased. Too bad, huh? It’d be fun to see stuff like how He turned all that water into wine, and how so many people came away from meetings with Him physically and spiritually healed....

Question 8 – How can we explain the fact that Jesus has never appeared to you?

I know this answer may not satisfy some of you, but it’s what I believe. There is a certain amount of faith required for this kind of vision.... and sad to say it, but people just aren’t perfect, and a lot of us find it hard to believe to that extent. Not to say it hasn’t happened.... It’s more a matter of preparedness than anything else. But honestly, have you ever knelt down and actually prayed? Have you ever looked for an answer from God? You cannot be cynical when you do it. It has to be sincere if you are looking for an answer. I can say He has answered prayers of mine.... not always like I wanted them answered, but enough to leave a reassurance that He is listening....

Question 9 – Why would Jesus want you to eat His body and drink His blood?

The eating of His body and drinking of His blood is completely symbolic. We call it the Atonement. Jesus suffered a lot of pain so that we may come to Him and repent of the wrongs we have done to others and ourselves. He wanted to make sure that we could return to live in the presence of our Father in Heaven. He suffered a vast amount of agony to ‘pay’ for the wrongs we have done. Then He was crucified, a perfect sacrifice that we couldn’t do for ourselves, because He loves us. And so, because no unclean thing can dwell in the presence of God, He performed the Atonement so that we may be washed clean of our sins and return to live with our Father in Heaven. The partaking of the bread (His body) and water (His blood) are symbolic. They help remind us of what was done for us, and that there is a way to return to live in the presence of God.

Question 10 – Why do Christians get divorced at the same rate as non-Christians?

One more time – we all have our agency, and nobody is perfect. We are all mortal, and we all fall victim to temptations and snares from the Devil. Marriage can be such a wonderful thing! That is, if people are willing to work together at it. But there are those, both Christian and Non-Christian alike, who are not willing to try hard enough for it. We are not perfect, and we can fall. That is why God set up His Atonement. He knew we would fall, and because He loves us so much, He wants to do everything He can for us to help us return to Him.

As for your last question....
I want you to know that I care because I have a received a witness that God is not imaginary. He is our Father in Heaven, and has sent us to Earth for a specific purpose. You may not believe that Jesus is our Savior, and you don’t have to. I just want you to know that I do, and that He loves both you and I. I testify that Jesus is the Christ, that he was crucified for the sins of this world, and that He will help us through this life if we are willing to take His outstretched hand. He lives, and will one day return for us. I testify of these things to you in the name of Jesus Christ.

Question - do I sound delusional......?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
Re: 10 questions.... and 10 answers [#724]
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 10:09:29 PM »
Yes, you are delusional.  Jesus was imaginary.  Why did he die for sins.  If he was god then he could just say they are gone.  He sacrificed himself to himself to exploit a loophole that he put in the plan himself to save us from a terrible lake of fire that he made himself that he himself makes everyone go to if they don't believe that god sacrificed himself to himself to exploit a loophole in the plan he made himself to save us from a fire that he made himself.  Sounds delusionsl to me!!!
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline GotMooo

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 03:05:04 AM »
Question 5 – Why is God such a huge proponent of slavery in the Bible?

As I said before.... a different people, a different time. God is not a proponent of slavery.... that was another of man’s choices that God has stepped back and said “Alright. I’ve told you what I think about it. It’s your decision.” Also, it was a part of their culture to have servants. Are we not also taught to respect our employers, to do what they ask us to?

Why didn't God make a commandment that bans all slavery?  He made this one:  Exodus 20:4 KJV "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:"

Question 8 – How can we explain the fact that Jesus has never appeared to you?

I know this answer may not satisfy some of you, but it’s what I believe. There is a certain amount of faith required for this kind of vision.... and sad to say it, but people just aren’t perfect, and a lot of us find it hard to believe to that extent. Not to say it hasn’t happened.... It’s more a matter of preparedness than anything else. But honestly, have you ever knelt down and actually prayed? Have you ever looked for an answer from God? You cannot be cynical when you do it. It has to be sincere if you are looking for an answer. I can say He has answered prayers of mine.... not always like I wanted them answered, but enough to leave a reassurance that He is listening....

I was a Christian and I had the faith of a mustard seed and I had hard times in my life where I had no choice but to be sincere as I had nowhere else to turn.  But the answers are never quite much to tell me that God answered them.  I guess you just have to be more superstitious to allow such nonsense.  You don't have to pray though and the results still happen the same way.  That's because God doesn't answer prayers.  Besides, what about his divine plan?  Seems like a big waste of time to even bother praying when what he wants will happen anyway no matter what you do.

Question 9 – Why would Jesus want you to eat His body and drink His blood?

The eating of His body and drinking of His blood is completely symbolic. We call it the Atonement. Jesus suffered a lot of pain so that we may come to Him and repent of the wrongs we have done to others and ourselves. He wanted to make sure that we could return to live in the presence of our Father in Heaven. He suffered a vast amount of agony to ‘pay’ for the wrongs we have done. Then He was crucified, a perfect sacrifice that we couldn’t do for ourselves, because He loves us. And so, because no unclean thing can dwell in the presence of God, He performed the Atonement so that we may be washed clean of our sins and return to live with our Father in Heaven. The partaking of the bread (His body) and water (His blood) are symbolic. They help remind us of what was done for us, and that there is a way to return to live in the presence of God.

Maybe so.  But it still sounds kind of strange, and sadistic to me.  You should look up the origins of this strange ritual.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 07:49:53 AM »
Lds.org, eh?

A simple moral question for you;

Do you think that the actions of your church were justified in recent California politics?

* If yes, why and did you actively support it?

* If no, what did you do to thwart those actions?

If you can't answer convincingly, I don't see a reason why I should take the word of someone who promotes the LDS seriously regardless of any theological truths that may be there.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer