Author Topic: What is The Word?  (Read 4199 times)

Online Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
Re: What is The Word?
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2014, 05:24:01 PM »
The Word is almost universally accepted by theologians as a reference to God the Son, part of the triune God-head and who became human as Jesus.
So they do not know or do they?

Of course they don't know, because gods are imaginary. How could they know? But, that is what the book says, so you should probably presume that's what it means.
I did not ask about God. I asked about "The Word" I was very specific.

What part of

But, that is what the book says, so you should probably presume that's what it means.

did you not understand?

Since MM knew, does that mean you'll end the thread?

Pretty please?

Guess not. Drats.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Online lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-21
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2014, 05:26:41 PM »
"In the beginning was the WORD and the WORD was with God and the WORD was God." and the Word became Flesh.
What is the WORD?

This is John 1:1.

Whoever wrote John 1:1 would have been better off claiming that people corrupted the Book of Genesis and removed all references to the "Word", like how Muslims believe that the Quran came first, and that the Jews and Christians corrupted the Quran and made it into the Bible. But no, the Gospel of John gets included in the Christian Bible along with Genesis.

If John 1:1 is true, every single book of the Old Testament is overlooking something extremely important.

However, if you realize that John 1:1 is nonsense, the entire picture makes complete sense.

The Bible is such bullshit from every angle. It's so amazing how people can believe such stupid shit.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2014, 05:30:29 PM »
"In the beginning was the WORD and the WORD was with God and the WORD was God." and the Word became Flesh.
What is the WORD?

Fiction.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-9
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2014, 05:34:49 PM »
What is the WORD?

Abracadabera?

Supercalafragilisticexpialidocious?

Green?
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2014, 05:35:01 PM »
I think I know the answer to the question "why wont God heal amputees"?
According to Theists: Theists know God, Atheists don't.

Online Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-9
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 05:35:39 PM »

Oh, do tell!

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2014, 05:40:48 PM »
What is the WORD?

God.

The answer is contained within the first assertion.  The last part of the assertion says that "the WORD was God".

All I see in this statement is as follows:

"In the beginning was the God and the God was with God and the God was God”.

The same thing occurs when you say the WORD is the Son of God.  The Son of God is God.  So the WORD is God.  God is God.

This is why I gave a negative karma for preaching.

It’s the circular logic that is common when someone claims something that ends up being a logical paradox.

Who or what created God?  God always was.  So God created God.
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2014, 05:42:26 PM »
It doesn't matter what the WORD is. Humans can call it whatever they want. No god was involved, so applying anything supernatural to the WORD is just to make humans feel better. There is no validity to any meaning of the WORD, because anyone can give it any meaning they want and be right. Since there is no wrong.

And as an atheist, I care less about imaginary specifics. I've got more interesting things to do that play pretend.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Online JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +227/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 05:50:02 PM »
What is the WORD?

This is an easy one....

The WORD was 2 things at different times.  At first, the WORD was God.  It says so right in the sentence you quoted.  I bolded it for you.  So at the very least, we know that at one point in time (in the past) the WORD was God.  But since your question is 'What IS the WORD?" and not 'What WAS the WORD?', we are forced to look further into the sentence. Thankfully, it tells us more... It says 'the WORD became flesh".  So, it WAS God, but it CHANGED to flesh.  With no further knowledge on the subject, we can (albeit unsafely) assume that the WORD still IS flesh, because nowhere does it tell us that the WORD became something else. 

Definition of flesh:  the soft substance consisting of muscle and fat that is found between the skin and bones of an animal or a human.

So there you have it...  The WORD is the soft substance consisting of muscle and fat that is found between the skin and bones of an animal or a human.

Pretty weird if you ask me. 

Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2014, 05:54:18 PM »

Not understanding how God always was doesn't have to mean mean God created Himself. 
Go on up you baldhead.

Online Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-9
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2014, 05:56:14 PM »
Not understanding how God always was doesn't have to mean mean God created Himself.

That mean mean god....... ;)

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2014, 05:57:41 PM »

Oh, do tell!
The WORD

Online Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-9
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2014, 05:58:16 PM »

Oh, do tell!
The WORD

oh god......

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2014, 06:00:38 PM »
What is the WORD?

This is an easy one....

The WORD was 2 things at different times.  At first, the WORD was God.  It says so right in the sentence you quoted.  I bolded it for you.  So at the very least, we know that at one point in time (in the past) the WORD was God.  But since your question is 'What IS the WORD?" and not 'What WAS the WORD?', we are forced to look further into the sentence. Thankfully, it tells us more... It says 'the WORD became flesh".  So, it WAS God, but it CHANGED to flesh.  With no further knowledge on the subject, we can (albeit unsafely) assume that the WORD still IS flesh, because nowhere does it tell us that the WORD became something else. 

Definition of flesh:  the soft substance consisting of muscle and fat that is found between the skin and bones of an animal or a human.

So there you have it...  The WORD is the soft substance consisting of muscle and fat that is found between the skin and bones of an animal or a human.

Good point. 

It all really depends on what "the flesh" is.

I made the assumption that the flesh refers to the Son of God.

If the WORD was God, and the WORD became flesh, wouldn't that mean God became flesh?

Flesh is God.

That would explain why sex is awesome.

"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2014, 06:05:34 PM »
What is the WORD?

This is an easy one....

I could have misquoted the book cause I do not know it as well as others. I just want to focus on the word WORD.
I think the actual quote is more like the Word was "with" God and not was God
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 06:36:47 PM by Jesuis »

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +259/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2014, 06:21:48 PM »

If the WORD was God, and the WORD became flesh, wouldn't that mean God became flesh?

Flesh is God.

and steak lets not forget steak is flesh.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2014, 06:24:11 PM »
What is the WORD?

Frequency
one?

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2014, 06:26:20 PM »
What is the WORD?
The word is you'd gone... What are you doing?
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2014, 06:28:05 PM »

You are possibly correct.  This is a very complex subject.  Something which is eternal is an extreamly difficult concept to comprehend. 

We really would have to have a long conversation and I would have to explain a lot of how I define things and what I understand.

Could I be wrong?  Absolutely.  Am I wrong?  Maybe, maybe partially or maybe not.

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2014, 06:30:19 PM »

Flesh is God.

and steak lets not forget steak is flesh.

Oh yes.  Steak.

Wait, didn't the flesh become steak?  So Steak is God?

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2014, 06:33:01 PM »
What is the WORD?

This is John 1:1.

Whoever wrote John 1:1 would have been better off claiming that people corrupted the Book of Genesis and removed all references to the "Word", like how Muslims believe that the Quran came first, and that the Jews and Christians corrupted the Quran and made it into the Bible. But no, the Gospel of John gets included in the Christian Bible along with Genesis.

If John 1:1 is true, every single book of the Old Testament is overlooking something extremely important.

However, if you realize that John 1:1 is nonsense, the entire picture makes complete sense.

The Bible is such bullshit from every angle. It's so amazing how people can believe such stupid shit.
John might have been one person who knew what the WORD was because he wrote it.

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2014, 06:35:20 PM »
What is the WORD?
The word is you'd gone... What are you doing?
Addiction or trolling. Take your pick. Or maybe trying to get an answer to a burning question of mine!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2014, 06:37:07 PM »
The word is the word but not the word but a word and that word is also a word but still just a word that is a word. In that word is rod and word. This is significant since word means god in the ancient language of idiot but it's not the defining moment of the word because the wrod is defining. Still, yet, and other trivialities the word is the word is a word in definition of a/the word yet spelled backward is just drow which lacks any intelligence. Like, god backwards is dog....PLUTO.

The word, I have deducted is Pluto.

Where's my cookie?

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2014, 06:41:52 PM »
I gave a positive karma to negate the negative karma I gave.

I forgot this was General Religious Discussion forum which means asking a question about religous text is not preaching.

My bad.

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2014, 06:51:25 PM »
The word is the word but not the word but a word and that word is also a word but still just a word that is a word. In that word is rod and word. This is significant since word means god in the ancient language of idiot but it's not the defining moment of the word because the wrod is defining. Still, yet, and other trivialities the word is the word is a word in definition of a/the word yet spelled backward is just drow which lacks any intelligence. Like, god backwards is dog....PLUTO.

The word, I have deducted is Pluto.

Where's my cookie?

-Nam
Couldn't that logic be applied to everything we say we "know".

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2014, 07:26:34 PM »
Couldn't that logic be applied to everything we say we "know".
No. http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/private-language/ -> Wittgenstein's private language argument.

You have created a word in a private language "frequency/ies" Apparently, you feel you know what you mean - nobody else does.  On the other hand, the main meaning[1] of "dog" is known by English speakers, showing that it is not from a set of words within a private language.

You are suggesting that only John (or whoever wrote "John") knew what "word" meant. In the extremely unlikely event of your being anywhere near correct, as John is dead and has taken his secret to the grave, there can be no answer to your question. It is lost for ever.

Old Church Guy did point you to a reputable site that did define "word" as it appeared in John. You did not accept this definition despite your education in the area being abysmal.

I suspect you are now trying to drag others into your delusion. But do not worry: the "real" meaning will come to you; be revealed unto you; will appear in your brain with astonishing clarity, but, like "frequencies" you will not quite be able to explain it to others, nor will you (without resort to fantasy and non-sequiturs) be able to say how "word" fits with any known theory.
 1. there will also be many who know alternative meanings
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2014, 07:42:48 PM »
It's sad when my mocking turns into a serious discussion.

;)

-Nam

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2014, 08:46:47 PM »
What is the WORD?

God.

The answer is contained within the first assertion.  The last part of the assertion says that "the WORD was God".

The same thing occurs when you say the WORD is the Son of God.  The Son of God is God.  So the WORD is God.  God is God.

It’s the circular logic that is common when someone claims something that ends up being a logical paradox.

Wouldn't the first assertion be "In the Beginning"?

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2014, 08:55:38 PM »
What is the WORD?

God.

Wouldn't the first assertion be "In the Beginning"?

You're not very good at leaving, are you. Thanks for getting our hopes up and then dashing them.

Drivel on.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.