Author Topic: The Other Side of Abortion  (Read 164 times)

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
The Other Side of Abortion
« on: January 14, 2014, 12:12:56 PM »
The headline that got me thinking about this topic is related to the following: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/13/report-arian-foster-sued-for-harassing-woman-to-have-an-abortion/

We've all either eard or made the contention that a woman should have the right to choose to abort a pregnancy for various reasons including and especially if she does not want the responsibilities and life-altering duties of being a mother. If we can understand and empathize with this contention; how much consideration should we give to the other unwilling procreator?

This leads to additional questions like:
- To what extent should a woman's right to choose to have a baby affect a man's right to choose to support the baby? Why?
- In the event of a pregnancy where one party wants the child to be born and the other party does not want the pregnancy to continue; who gets to choose? (I say the woman because it's her body)
- If both parties can't agree and the party that wants the baby to be born wins out; should that party have a right to force the other party to take responsibility for the unwanted child?

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
Re: The Other Side of Abortion
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 12:50:12 PM »
As I understand it, child support (and similar legal arrangements) are not imposed out of any sense of fairness or justice, but to offer financial benefit to the raising of the child once born.  Biological fatherhood is not even a strict necessity for child support.  The court's priority is the benefit of the child above other concerns.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Wasserbuffel

• Student
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Re: The Other Side of Abortion
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 09:56:18 AM »

- To what extent should a woman's right to choose to have a baby affect a man's right to choose to support the baby? Why?

I don't believe it should have any effect. I think if a woman wants the baby, but the man doesn't, then she should bear the entire burden, and enjoy 100% of the parental rights and custody. If he were to later decide he wanted to be part of the child's life, then he should be accountable for back child support to the child's current age and from then forward.  Although for such a system to work it would take a lot of legal documentation, proper notification, etc.

Complex as it might be, it's really the only fair way. Just as I don't think a woman should have to pay out tens of thousands of dollars to care for a child she could otherwise abort, I don't think a man should have to bear the financial burden of a child he had no choice to abort.

- In the event of a pregnancy where one party wants the child to be born and the other party does not want the pregnancy to continue; who gets to choose? (I say the woman because it's her body)

No question here, the woman. For a man to make a child the only bodily cost he pays is to have an orgasm, and since that's generally his goal when engaging in sexual intercourse it negates any physical toll he might otherwise claim it cost him.  There is no comparison there to the physical costs the woman must pay to bring a child to term. If pregnancy were as simple, easy, and pleasurable as whacking off in the shower, this question would be more complex, but it's not.

- If both parties can't agree and the party that wants the baby to be born wins out; should that party have a right to force the other party to take responsibility for the unwanted child?

No. In the case of the man not wanting the child, but the woman bearing it, the answer is in the first question. I think the same should hold true in the reverse. If there were a case in which the woman didn't want the child, but bore it because the man did, she should have the same rights to absolve her rights and responsibilities I outlined above, and the same requirements in the event she wishes to regain them.