Author Topic: Afghani given asylum in the UK for being atheist  (Read 185 times)

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Afghani given asylum in the UK for being atheist
« on: January 14, 2014, 07:46:52 AM »
Good job IMO.

The case was prepared by second-year law student Claire Splawn under the supervision of clinic solicitor Sheona York.

Ms Splawn said: "We argued that an atheist should be entitled to protection from persecution on the grounds of their belief in the same way as a religious person is protected."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25715736

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Afghani given asylum in the UK for being atheist
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 07:53:13 AM »
The case was prepared by second-year law student Claire Splawn under the supervision of clinic solicitor Sheona York.

Ms Splawn said: "We argued that an atheist should be entitled to protection from persecution on the grounds of their belief in the same way as a religious person is protected."

Bold mine. B+
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Afghani given asylum in the UK for being atheist
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 08:13:53 AM »

Bold mine. B+

the outcome and the message is clear even if you don't agree with the wording i.e. Non belief is as valid as belief and persecution on the basis of non belief is simply not allowed.