Author Topic: Progeria  (Read 124 times)

Online shnozzola

Progeria
« on: January 12, 2014, 10:09:19 AM »
My posts in the science section are many times simply a topic I find interesting such as this one, progeria, and think maybe others also will.   I knew such a rare disease existed, but  hadn't heard what it is called.  Science has isolated the gene - and like is always said here, when we examine the facts, humanity is responsible for every single bit of the knowledge required to try to solve this, another problem.   A deity will get some type of credit, or maybe even blame, along the way from the religious, which is simply wrong.

Sam Berns, of Foxborough, Mass., died on Friday at 17 years old, according to a statement posted on the website of the Progeria Research Foundation. Children with the rare disease live on average 13 years before succumbing to the genetic condition, which gives them the appearance of accelerated aging.

HGPS is caused by a mutation in the gene called LMNA (pronounced, lamin - a). The LMNA gene produces the Lamin A protein, which is the structural scaffolding that holds the nucleus of a cell together. Researchers now believe that the defective Lamin A protein makes the nucleus unstable. That cellular instability appears to lead to the process of premature aging in Progeria.
http://www.progeriaresearch.org/about_progeria/

edit: it seems like understanding this gene unlocks a lot of possible research.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 10:13:21 AM by shnozzola »
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Jontom10

• Graduate
  • Darwins +14/-0
Re: Progeria
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 11:08:00 AM »
I don't like to be horrible and take from the tragedy of the poor young man.

But

Any theist want to come in with why the prayers of the family, and the young man himself, didn't cure him ?
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Online Graybeard

• Darwins +463/-16
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: Progeria
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 12:04:33 PM »
Genetic research is progressing at a startling rate. Drug interaction with genotypes and gene replacement are being heavily researched. Within the next 10 years[1] we should see the first breakthroughs. I cannot say to what extent existing conditions can be changed[2] and the cost are not known.
 1. Yes, it is always "in the next 10 years, isn't it?
 2. although it should be possible as all cells in our body renew over a 7 year period
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce