Author Topic: Timeline of the Far Future  (Read 159 times)

Online DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +40/-7
Timeline of the Far Future
« on: January 10, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »

It looks like by current trends the end of man is about 5,000,000 years out.  ;)  But honestly, who thinks we'll make it even another thousand years.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140105-timeline-of-the-far-future
Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
Re: Timeline of the Far Future
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 01:37:00 AM »
That depends on whether or not you ascribe to the technological singularity idea.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
Re: Timeline of the Far Future
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 10:25:31 AM »
Interesting, but predicting the future is a tough process. Look at the past.

* Who in 1900 would have said we would be flying supesonically to the USA from the UK in 80 years time?

* In the 1,000 - 1,200CE period, when the Arabic scholars were making progress with science and maths that one cleric could stop the lot in their tracks and return the area to the Dark Ages.

So though guessing the future is fun, my best guess is that we are going to be wrong whatever we say. Maybe a disaster to the USA, but if the Yellowstone volcano was to erupt, global warming would cease to be an issue as there would be so much dust in the air that we would get global cooling.

That said, I would love a time machine and to the year 3,000CE (like Futurama). It would be fascinating to see what had changed!
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)