Poll

Do you believe Governor Chris Christie was behind the Fort Lee/GWB fiasco?

Yes - he ordered it
4 (25%)
Yes - he had knowledge of it
7 (43.8%)
No - he didn't order for his staff to close the GWB
0 (0%)
No - he had no prior knowledge
1 (6.3%)
I don't know nor care
4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: April 10, 2014, 02:00:08 PM

Author Topic: GWB vs. Christie  (Read 1303 times)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
GWB vs. Christie
« on: January 10, 2014, 02:00:08 PM »
I've been watching this since last year when Rachel Maddow firsted reported on her show. Frankly, I think not only he did he order it, I think he's one of the mastermind's behind it. The guy is a bully but I never really had a problem with that; I just saw it as him taking no "bull" from anyone; and I don't agree with all his positions or policy choices but even though he is a conservative Republican (based on his record) at least, at times, he would work with the other side unlike many conservatives today. Now, whether I would vote for him vs Hillary Clinton (if he/she got the 2016 pres. nomination) I didn't know before recent news. Now, I wouldn't vote for him for anything because either he's actually so incompetent that he didn't know what friends of his who were employed in his administration were doing, or he gave the order. Either way: he shouldn't be president. All someone would have to do is piss him off and he'd, metaphorically, push the red button because his red button was pushed or someone else would and he'd be the dummy.

If he's behind it, or had part in it he should resign or be impeached (by New Jersey), if he had no part he should resign for utter incompetence.

Just an opinion.

-Nam
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:02:34 PM by Nam »
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline shnozzola

Re: GWB vs. Christie
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 02:55:04 PM »
Yes I believe he ordered it.  Npr panel today discussed his history of doing things like this. But I do not believe it will effect his nomination chances as much as it should
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 04:27:19 PM »
Yes I believe he ordered it.  Npr panel today discussed his history of doing things like this. But I do not believe it will effect his nomination chances as much as it should

If it is found out he ordered then he flat out lied to everyone plus since it crossed from New Jersey to New York there could be federal laws that were broken.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 08:45:29 AM »
Where is Nick?
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 11:50:09 AM »

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 01:09:32 PM »
Christie is a little too much of one thing and not enough of another.

We all love the political figurehead who doesn't want to put up with bullshit -- we've even made and enjoyed movies with such characters. Christie projects this to the public and the public eats it up. It also helps that in New Jersey this type of political bantering is not only expected and demanded, but heavily admired when dished out. The average New Jerseyian fashions himself as the take-no-bull kinda guy. The problem with this amazing personal attribute is that it masks other problems. Puffing takes place of actual thinking.

Christie's no-bull, dog-eat-dog method of management can (and should) leave people cold. When "Sharon" (I think that was her name), a New Jersey mother of school-aged children, asked Christie why he criticizes public schools while sending his kids to private schools, Christie chose to lash out at her as asking him a personal question that was none of her business. Nothing could be further from the truth. She doesn't need to know which specific school his kids attend and I don't think any reasonable person would assume that was what she wanted to know, but the the thrust of her question is why are you sending your kids to private school and then criticizing the public school system? What do you know about public schools if your kids aren't enrolled in them?. The way he handled that moment defined him as a bully. There have likely been many other moments that have defined him as a bully, but that one was made public to the nation. He showed no tact, no care and proved that he was all spinal-flinching, acid-in-the-face, fuck-you-and-the-broom-you-fly kinda guy. He also showed no remorse afterward. Meanwhile, New Jerseyians who fashion themselves as tough-guy-loving-public-school-despisers leaned forward in their Lazy Boys and shouted approval that caused spittel to land on their television screens. It was a show.

A man who isn't afraid to bully and bitch-out a constituent on live television but somehow cannot muster any anger at his own staff for nearly shutting down the busiest bridge in America is ... what ... ? We now find him dishing out bullshit of the lowest kind. At this moment New Jerseyians should be eating him alive.

This is not to say that Chris Christie hasn't accomplished some things and may even contribute to positive public conversations. However, his style of management in public administration masks the problems that a figure like Christie has in actually managing government: all bravado.

I think Christie had knowledge of what was happening and likely approved it. Whether it was his original idea, I don't know and I don't care. He cannot micro-manage New Jersey and then pretend to have no knowledge whatsoever about a giant traffic jam on the George Washington Bridge. That kinda bullshit just doesn't fly.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 07:26:31 PM »
When I watched his hour long "apology", it felt like two things, and only two things: 1. "I don't care but I'm going to apologize because that's what people want" and 2. his body language, the way he responded to questions felt like he was asking himself, "Why is this happening to me?" and it appeared as if he was making things up.

I've heard him speak before on Morning Joe, separate interviews, and varying clips and he seemed to speak highly defensively in the hour plus "apology". Why would he be defensive if he had nothing to do with it?

-Nam

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 06:08:27 PM »
Snow in northeast US.  In New Jersey,  Governor Christie is asking people to stay off the bridges.  :)

Offline relativetruth

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 07:53:26 PM »
It is entirely possible that Christie did not know of the lane closures before they happened.

I think that Christie's modus operandi is that he dictates to his staff where he wants pressure/influence/retribution etc to be applied but leaves the details up to them. By doing that he hopes to minimise any email trail which can incriminate himself. He has learnt all these tricks from being a state prosecutor previously.

However, after/during day 1 of the actual lane closures I think Christie was completely updated with the plan and he left it to run its coarse.
God(s) exist and are imaginary

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 08:02:28 PM »
However, after/during day 1 of the actual lane closures I think Christie was completely updated with the plan and he left it to run its coarse.

If that's true: he lied. Which means his career might be over; plus, if true: he joked about it as if it were no big deal.

Republicans don't keep him in office, Democrats do.

-Nam

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +903/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 08:22:16 PM »
I voted yes, he ordered it, basically because he does not seem to be the kind of person who lets his staff do stuff without his knowledge and/or approval. Can you imagine how he would react if an employee did something he did not want? Yeesh.

He is no "I can not recall" Reagan character. He is politically savvy and sharp. And mean. I saw that interchange where he attacked the mom about the public schools. People ask that kind of question to politicians all the time, including asking Obama and Clinton why they had their kids in private school. The correct political answer for politicians from either party:  "All parents want the best possible education for their kids, and I hope that all kids would be able to get the kind of education available in private schools and that is what I am fighting for." ;)

What he said to that woman, a voter yet,  is unforgiveable. >:(
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 09:00:32 PM »
   It doesn't look like his weight loss surgery is working.
   He's one cannoli away from the ICU.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +75/-1
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 09:22:38 PM »
Why would he be defensive if he had nothing to do with it?

People who've been falsely accused can also be quite defensive. A guilty liar might look shocked and say: "What? I wasn't there. I had nothing to do with it." Likewise the guy who wasn't there and had nothing to do with it.

I'm not saying he's innocent, and I'm not at all a fan. I just don't think there's enough evidence revealed at this point to start sharpening the guillotine. (figurative, of course)

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 09:24:57 PM »
I live in NJ. Watching this Bridgegate unwind is wonderful.

CC talks a good talk but the evidence always says something different. He based much of his re-election campaign on balanced budgets and lower taxes, when in reality NJ has had a balanced budget for the past 40+ years. And while he pushed through some tax reform (cut taxes) he took from elsewhere. He signed off on raising the tolls (GWB) and other NJ/NY tolls, those are called user fees, not taxes. He took out the Homeowner tax rebates, yes taking money back in a tax refund is not raising taxes. This guy is so full of shit, his stench can be smelled on the moon. It is really disgusting listening to his apologists spin for him. The first words out of their mouths are "if Obama" or "when Obama." They try so hard to misdirect the questions

This article is short but what is says about NJ is totally different from the portrait painted by CC.

As if New Jersey Governor Chris Christie didn't have enough problems dealing with the Bridgegate scandal and Hoboken allegations, a new study by Sarah Arnett, a professor of Public Policy at Georgia State University, ranks New Jersey dead last among the 50 U.S. states for financial stability.

http://www.ibtimes.com/chris-christie-has-more-problems-bridgegate-new-jersey-dead-last-study-states-budget-solvency

I've hated this guy for a long time. He hollered at a passerby on the Seaside Heights Boardwalk, called a Navy Seal/Law Student an "Idiot" and attacks become personal with him when anyone questions his judgment. I could spend months looking up all the stuff this guy has done, but trust me, CC is a big fat liar.

Oh Yeah, I voted he knew, only because the connection to him ordering it has not been found. That should end when the buddies he dumped over Bridgegate start squealing, and that has already started.

And for your extra pleasure, CC's NEW JERSEY COMEBACK!

On taking office, Christie cut state aid for education by $1.1 billion, slashed property tax relief for senior citizens and cut government worker pensions — breaking campaign promises in all three cases, as The Star-Ledger, the state’s largest newspaper, recently reported

Read more at:  http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/80237.html
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 10:01:13 PM »
The real problem, stuffin, I think, is Democrats voted him in. I know Jersey politics are different than other states but in other blue states Democrats vote in Republicans as, I guess, a way to punish the governor in office when, in actuality, they are, in the end, punishing themselves.

-Nam

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 12:51:38 AM »
He is lying out of his lying lie hole.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 09:02:06 AM »
The real problem, stuffin, I think, is Democrats voted him in. I know Jersey politics are different than other states but in other blue states Democrats vote in Republicans as, I guess, a way to punish the governor in office when, in actuality, they are, in the end, punishing themselves.

-Nam

Yes, alot of DEMs voted for him, not me though. The problem was in his first election, he was up against Corzine (Corslime to Republicans). I voted for everything on the ballot that year except for Governor. Corzine/Christie were equally bad choices, IMO. The Democrats can't seem to get a good candidate for Governor, what a sad fucking State                 

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +683/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 11:19:47 AM »
I've been following this closely.  I live in NJ and I've hated that fat bastard from the start.  He's a bully, a fraud and a crook.  And his popularity annoys and perplexes me to no end.  I just don't get it. 

I find one particular video most telling (which his own people record, edit and post on youtube, because that is the image they are selling).  It is the one where he confronts a man at the boardwalk.  The guy told him to give teachers a break.  Christie charges him, shouting at him, telling him to "just walk away!  Just! Walk! Away!"  All the while with a vanilla ice cream cone in his hand.  Why don't you have another one with sprinkles, governor?  Who does that?  Do adults behave that way?  I remember that kind of agressive nonsense from high school, but not since. 

I have wondered about his relationship with his wife.  Does she know?  Does she approve?  Or has she worked out a dual concept of her husband, ignoring what he does at work, and only judging his "home" self?

I am grateful to see that now he is a dead man walking.  He knows it.  You can see it in his demeanor.  All it takes now is one email or one employee getting immunity and it is over. 

Four terrific posts from Esquire on on The Big Chicken, as Charles Pierce calls him.
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/chris-christie-countdown-clock-012914
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/wildstein-christie
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/christie-super-bowl
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/chris-christie-allies-020314

They make a good case for the inevitability of it.  He will not finish his term and I suspect he will serve some time in jail.  I hope so, anyway.

But I think these also show the inevitability of corruption in our system.  It seems the only people who even want to work in goverment in the first place are those who would use it to enrich and empower themselves, no?  Only those who are most driven, who are most willing to do or say whatever it takes, end up in office.  Psychopaths.  You could fire or arrest the entire state government and in three months we'd be in exactly the same place we are now, only with different names and faces.  Our system of government was supposed to prevent this.

I don't know what the answer is.  Is it just America?  Is it like this everywhere?  Should we draft our representatives and legislators?  How do we appoint benevolent despots?

The Democrats can't seem to get a good candidate for Governor,

it is because of the structure and hierarchy of the NJ dems.  Everything goes through party bosses.  As a result, candidates are hand picked by the bosses because they will do what they want, not because they are seen as viable candidates by the public. 
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 12:22:10 PM »
I've been following this closely.  I live in NJ and I've hated that fat bastard from the start.  He's a bully, a fraud and a crook.  And his popularity annoys and perplexes me to no end.  I just don't get it. 

I too have been following it very closely, almost obsessed. Everything you said in that statement!

I want the proceedings to move rapidly but I'm enjoying his prolonged discomfort. I hope he does go to jail. And shame on some those Democrats who played the game with this monster, put them away too.

I once thanked an acquaintance from Illinois for Illinois because they made New Jersey only the 2nd most corrupt state in America.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 11:15:58 PM »
I live in NJ and I've hated that fat bastard from the start.

He's a bully ...

It amazes me that the people of NJ put up with the bullying behavior.  Anti-bully programs in the schools, but fuck it -- when you are governor you can bully anyone into the ground.

I think that his personal characteristics would have been painful to watch in a presidential election. That bully attitude alone will not fly outside of NJ (maybe NYC, nothing upstate). Judging by the little he has been challenged by harmless comments of NJ citizens, Christie would go rabid at any moment in a national election and completely fuck it up. Ann Coulter couldn't have been more wrong no matter how right she thought she was.

I find one particular video most telling (which his own people record, edit and post on youtube, because that is the image they are selling).  It is the one where he confronts a man at the boardwalk.

I never knew about that scenario, which must be this?

Who does that?  Do adults behave that way?  I remember that kind of agressive nonsense from high school, but not since. 

Nobody does that, well, except for Christie.

I have wondered about his relationship with his wife.  Does she know?  Does she approve?  Or has she worked out a dual concept of her husband, ignoring what he does at work, and only judging his "home" self?

She had dreams of becoming First Lady.

I am grateful to see that now he is a dead man walking. 

I'm not convinced of that yet, but he's going to be very occupied in the coming months.

He knows it.  You can see it in his demeanor.  All it takes now is one email or one employee getting immunity and it is over. 

He's definitely on the defensive, and I bet he's hoping for a chemical spill into the local water supply to take the focus off him.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 12:37:20 AM »
^and he'll probably create such a thing if he feels like he's really losing.

-Nam

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 06:01:13 AM »

He's definitely on the defensive, and I bet he's hoping for a chemical spill into the local water supply to take the focus off him.

^and he'll probably create such a thing if he feels like he's really losing.

-Nam

Exactly, I'm not convinced they got him. Not only is he a fat bastard, he's a slippery bastard. On his way up the political ladder he did some very questionable things but nothing ever happened. I hope a bunch of his rats jump ship and they put him away for a long time.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +683/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 08:24:21 AM »
It amazes me that the people of NJ put up with the bullying behavior. 

I'm not a native new jersean and I cannot say that I understand the state or the people in it.[1]. The closest I can come to explaining it is people see him as plain spoken, bipartisan (ha!) and a strong leader.  That plus the halo effectWiki
 1. then again, I cannot really say I understand anyone, anywhere else either...
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 09:23:36 AM »
I once thanked an acquaintance from Illinois for Illinois because they made New Jersey only the 2nd most corrupt state in America.
You're welcome, we're always trying to raise the bar.  It gives us something to be known for besides Chicago and Abraham Lincoln.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 10:05:32 AM »
Well, on the bright side: with Christie in political hot water, Mike Huckabee is now the 2016 Republican front-runner.  Even years away, Dems have to be pleased with that.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +259/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2014, 11:07:06 AM »
What about option: I do not have sufficient information to hold a solid opinion on the subject.

Christie seemed the least corrupt and insane of Republicans, and I can't fathom him spoiling a possible Whitehouse run with some sort of petty revenge. However, as he is a New Jersy Politician and Republican, he's more inclined to do that sort of thing.

So, with those two tendencies canceling each other out, and a lack of solid evidence;

I do not have sufficient information to hold a solid opinion on the subject.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +276/-31
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2014, 11:46:40 AM »
He seems really similar to our beloved mayor of Toronto, Rob Ford.  Heard of him on the news yet?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2014, 02:13:52 PM »
He seems really similar to our beloved mayor of Toronto, Rob Ford.  Heard of him on the news yet?

Awhile back.

Rachel Maddow covers it all. ;)

-Nam

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +903/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2014, 04:05:48 PM »
He the guy who smoked crack?

I know we had one of those, too. The DC guy who, after being caught on film doing drugs said, famously, "beyatch set me up". Seriously, I know that there can be entrapment, where some political foe targets a weakness. (Send a prostitute with a cell phone camera to Bill Clinton's hotel room, and Hilarity ensues....)

But how can someone entrap you into using drugs if you don't already use drugs? I would not  know how to smoke crack even if someone laid out all the fixings in front of me. :?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 05:00:02 PM by nogodsforme »
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.