Author Topic: The Growth of Superstition  (Read 521 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
The Growth of Superstition
« on: January 03, 2014, 07:17:56 AM »
Belief in evolution declines among Republicans as party lurches rightward

http://www.theage.com.au/world/belief-in-evolution-declines-among-republicans-as-party-lurches-rightward-20140103-hv7ck.html

Washington: The number of Republican voters who do not believe in evolution has jumped from 43per cent to 54 per cent in  the past four years,  research has found.

The survey on religious views by the Pew Research Centre found that over the same period the number of Democrats believing in evolution climbed from 64 per cent to 67 per cent.

Just 60 per cent of Americans agreed that ‘‘humans and other living things have evolved over time’’;  33per cent rejected the notion, a number barely changed since 2009, when Pew last conducted this research.

The researchers reported that this partisan difference remained even when the racial and ethnic differences in party make-up were accounted for.
Advertisement

Larry Sabato, professor of politics at the University of Virginia, said the high level of belief in creationism and its rapid rise in Republican ranks shocked him.

‘‘I knew it was bad, but I didn’t know it was this bad,’’ he said.

I can only shake my head. I cannot find any stats for European opinions but this staggering stupidity defies all logic. I don't suppose that in one's daily life believing that Adam was real and looked like the "All-American Jesus" really makes much of a difference to most people. But, to me, that people will not accept evolution is on the same level as insisting that the world is flat - why would anyone believe that - it must be blindingly obvious that it is not the case?

Why are people wilfully ignorant and, not only that, they wallow in their ignorance and wear it as a badge of pride... words fail me.

Is America becoming 2 nations? A sensible one and one that has gone back to the 18th century?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 07:19:46 AM by Graybeard »
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline shnozzola

Re: The Growth of Superstition
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 07:37:12 AM »
I've been telling my wife lately, "Remember, Bush got elected the second time."

There are many idiots in the US that want more government services and less taxes, while they max their credit cards and can't pay their bills, so the connection you would expect simply isn't there.

One thing I believe is happening.  The politicians say the ridiculous things to pander and get reelected while maintaining more good policy than the Bush voters can follow.

For example, around the Chesapeake Bay, along the coast, local municipalities are starting some infrastructure for higher tides and seas and stronger storms while the Rush Limbaugh climate change deniers argue it isn't happening.  That's not to say US policy has actually gotten excellent - we, like all governments, have a long way to go.

And if you dig through information contained in Obamacare, like research at Johns Hopkins and the Mayo Clinic concerning experiments in preventative health care, there are good things that smart, albeit quiet people, are doing in the US.

If things go south (no pun intended), is there room for another million immigrants in Great Britain?  We are hard workers.  :)

edit:  There was a good NPR story yesterday about northern European (think Norway) high government service and the impact on average happiness.

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2014/01/02/big-government-radcliff
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 07:44:16 AM by shnozzola »
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 07:51:57 AM »
I have found some stats...

The Republicans need to beat Turkey...
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 07:59:13 AM »
You think the republicans have silly ideas when it comes to science?   You should hear their ideas about economics!

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 08:19:16 AM »

There are many idiots in the US that want more government services and less taxes, while they max their credit cards and can't pay their bills, so the connection you would expect simply isn't there....
If things go south (no pun intended), is there room for another million immigrants in Great Britain?  We are hard workers.  :)
Although I have an idea why people vote Republican, I cannot see that your post has much to do with evolution... perhaps I am missing something?

Online Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 08:56:32 AM »
Is America becoming 2 nations? A sensible one and one that has gone back to the 18th century?

This could happen. There are already numerous places and ideas for seccession (Colorado and Texas are the most prominent), just so they don't have to follow the secular laws and ideals and can keep their collective heads buried in the sand, and up their asses regarding the science of evolution, climate change, etc.....

It's emabarrassing, frankly, to read accounts of these ideas, and to hear coworkers talk about them. And none of these people will listen, at all, to reason. They don't want a discussion, they don't want facts. All they want is to keep their delusions in place, by any and all means necessary.

I'd be willing to give them everything from Texas to Florida.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 09:58:12 AM »

There are many idiots in the US that want more government services and less taxes, while they max their credit cards and can't pay their bills, so the connection you would expect simply isn't there....
Although I have an idea why people vote Republican, I cannot see that your post has much to do with evolution... perhaps I am missing something?

It is all superstition!  Children are educated by their families and church, not through funding to public schools.  Roads and bridges in infrastructure just magically appear and maintain themselves.  Prayer is preferable to funding for healthcare.   

Corporate profits are good for our nation because the wealth trickles down to the rest of us.  Who cares about the impact of fracking or oil spills?  It is not like planet earth is going to be here after the rapture anyway. 

And government oversight of industry just interferes with profit.  It is not like the faithful are going to fall off unsafe scaffolding or get smooshed by machinery or eat tainted meat.  Is it?  And if they do, it is god's will.  And we will pray for them.

In terms of credit card debt, you know, the lord provides.  And he sure as hell never gives you and burdens you can't bear.  If the debt gets too big, we can just pray to win the lotto. 

I sure didn't come from no monkey.  And the human eye!  Think about the human eye!  There has to be a creator.

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 04:30:33 PM »

I understand we need to keep topics separated, and I apologize.  I tend to combine things that I believe have a lot in common (Republicans, bigotry, antievolution, etc.).  Actually, I had already posted this topic showing the pew research, in the evolution section, just maybe not as well as you had:

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,26133.0.html
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 08:06:58 AM »
My apologies. I did not see your earlier post.

Offline blue

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • Not cool, Zeus.
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 11:38:42 AM »
I think a large part of it has to do with brand identification. Republican politicians tend to allow or support ID and other religious (primarily Christian) positions. This gets people taking that position because this is what a Republican or "conservative" does. It's opposite of what those Democrats or "liberals" believe so it must be right.
There’s no difference between a bunch of theologians sitting around debating scripture than a bunch of D&D nerds sitting around debating which version of the Player’s Handbook to use.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 01:50:19 PM »

This could happen. There are already numerous places and ideas for seccession (Colorado and Texas are the most prominent), just so they don't have to follow the secular laws and ideals and can keep their collective heads buried in the sand, and up their asses regarding the science of evolution, climate change, etc.....

It's emabarrassing, frankly, to read accounts of these ideas, and to hear coworkers talk about them. And none of these people will listen, at all, to reason. They don't want a discussion, they don't want facts. All they want is to keep their delusions in place, by any and all means necessary.

I'd be willing to give them everything from Texas to Florida.

Florida is not Texas. For one Texas is a deep red state where as Florida is a purple state, and has been for quite some time. Floridians just need to stop electing Republicans (at least for awhile) to state-held positions, like Governor. The last Democratic Governor Florida had was in the 90's. Charlie Christ has a good chance of becoming Governor as a Democrat. But even in saying that, even in capitulation to the far-right, most of the Republican governors have been moderate Republicans rather than what Texas produces.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.