Author Topic: WEST COVINA WAR ON CHRISTMAS  (Read 403 times)

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
WEST COVINA WAR ON CHRISTMAS
« on: January 07, 2014, 05:56:45 AM »
From Chapter 42,878 of the compelling work THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS comes this ...

Teacher Tells Student "Jesus Not Allowed in School": Lawyer

A Southern California school district is under fire for preventing a first grader from handing out to his classmates candy canes with religious messages, a lawyer for the student said.

As if this were the idea of a 6-year-old first-grader to hand out candy canes to his fellow elementary school students to tell them about jesus. It really irks me to no end when I see parents sticking their kids into controversies that they don't have the stomach to handle at a school board meeting or the simple ability to stifle themselves when it comes to people who simply don't share their worldviews.

The "sister", who seems rather old enough to understand some basic concepts of reality, is put on TV saying that she never imagined that her brother's gifts of Jesus-branded candy canes in an organized gift exchange at school[1] would cause any problems. Really?   REALLY?!?!  What kind of idiots do you think we are?  Oh, I see, you have a lawyer involved .... not staged at all. Hahaha!  Fuckwits.

1. Organized gift exchanges at Christmas are not allowed in our schools because that would be an implicit acknowledgement of a single religious holiday, so I don't know what the hell West Covina is thinking, but there they are.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: WEST COVINA WAR ON CHRISTMAS
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 05:00:43 PM »
It is sort of low of the parents. If they were just candy canes I don't see a problem but with Christian messages wrapped around them and obtaining a lawyer beforehand (if that's what they did) yeah, they knew what they were doing was wrong. Of course a 6 year old won't read the message they just want the candy.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 08:47:57 AM »
It is sort of low of the parents. If they were just candy canes I don't see a problem but with Christian messages wrapped around them and obtaining a lawyer beforehand (if that's what they did) yeah, they knew what they were doing was wrong. Of course a 6 year old won't read the message they just want the candy.

-Nam

Candy Cane Communion, a new shift to get younger people to take an interest in coming to mass.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 09:09:23 AM »
Candy Cane Communion, a new shift to get younger people to take an interest in coming to mass.

If the cracker is supposed to represent flesh, and wine is supposed to represent blood, what is the candy cane meant to represent?  Was Jesus prone to tooth decay?  :P
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 10:06:24 AM »

If the cracker is supposed to represent flesh, and wine is supposed to represent blood, what is the candy cane meant to represent?  Was Jesus prone to tooth decay?  :P

The white is for the purity of spirit and red was for the blood spilled for your sins. And it is shape to represent to shepards crook as he is the shepard of all us unworthy sinners guiding us to the father. The sweetness is to represent the sweetness of the afterlife promised, and the mint is that which cleans the foulness of the sins when our mouth denys the glory of the lord.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 10:47:08 AM »
The white is for the purity of spirit and red was for the blood spilled for your sins. And it is shape to represent to shepards crook as he is the shepard of all us unworthy sinners guiding us to the father. The sweetness is to represent the sweetness of the afterlife promised, and the mint is that which cleans the foulness of the sins when our mouth denys the glory of the lord.

Well I would say that's a load of bunk, but then looked up the origin of candy canes.  I sit corrected![1]
 1. Although I still think it's bunk
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 11:34:38 AM »

Well I would say that's a load of bunk, but then looked up the origin of candy canes.  I sit corrected![1]
 1. Although I still think it's bunk

Actually the history you looked up is most likely bunk. Yet another completely synthesized mythology passed around by Christians because it sounds good to them.

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/candycane.asp

Funny, they go around stating that there isn't any way the Jesus rising from the dead could have been legend and mythology...yet we have a fairly good example of something accepted as truth, to the point of books being published, which is documented to be bunk, happening in the Christian community
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 11:36:28 AM by Hatter23 »

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 03:40:04 PM »
Ha! I Wiki'd "Candy Cane" to check your story, and it matched, citing the "keep the kids quiet in church" story.

According to Snopes...
This is charming folklore, but one should not lose sight of the fact that such stories of the candy cane's origins are, like Santa Claus, myths and not "true stories."

Par for the course I guess.

-- Bernie Katz

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 12:09:57 AM »

To think what I have used the candy cane for in the past.

;)

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.