Author Topic: Bill Nye plans to debate Creation Museum founder Ken Ham  (Read 3312 times)

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Bill Nye plans to debate Creation Museum founder Ken Ham
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2014, 10:10:35 AM »
I wouldn't hold Nye to blame for the resumption of the 'ark' project.  If he hadn't done anything, Ham would have pulled some stupid publicity stunt and gotten the funds he wanted some other way.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2014, 10:14:39 AM »
One thing that i found stupid, is how ken ham can claim that the ark was "magically" better, despite the best human engineers (even today) cannot make such a large vessel (that can store stuff) out of wood.

He literally did a "god did it" argument...
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2014, 11:46:52 AM »
I wouldn't hold Nye to blame for the resumption of the 'ark' project.  If he hadn't done anything, Ham would have pulled some stupid publicity stunt and gotten the funds he wanted some other way.

But that's not what happened.  Nye did do something, despite a whole bunch of people correctly predicting that what happened would happen, and Ham didn't have to contrive any other publicity stunt.  Now, Nye is complicit in helping stupid Ken Ham fleece stupid people raise money for the stupid creation museum and the stupid ark park.

Is that the end of the world?  No.  Does that make Nye a bad person?  No. 

It just makes Nye a naive tool with good intentions.  But as Screwtape Sr says, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.  True, that.

Hopefully this was a good lesson for a lot of atheists.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2014, 12:22:37 PM »
One might hope that maybe if it the ark attraction is built and people see it for themselves they might start thinking about it and realize that the flood story is indeed a myth.  Then the investors will realize they wasted their money.  I have doubts that the attraction will even pay for itself.

Although, I have to admit, that is a seemingly slim hope and those who were opposed to the debate were right.  Quite an embarrassing lesson for science advocates.
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Offline Brad the Bold

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +17/-0
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2014, 12:32:57 PM »
Hopefully this was a good lesson for a lot of atheists.

Agreed.

As I argued previously in this thread public debate is NOT how science gets done. I've heard it said that debate is essentially a "drive by shooting" of scientific argument. Debate is political. "Winning" a debate almost never sways your opponent and rarely sways most members of the audience. It actually may serve to make them dig in even harder to relive the cognitive dissonance. That makes it useful as a publicity stunt and fundraising tool to "rally the base".

Science should politely decline to debate and simply say that's not how science is done. If you disagree with someones conclusions in science, feel free to review the literature, write a grant, perform experiments, collect data, write it all up and submit it for peer review. But lectures are for teachers, sermons are for preachers and debates for politicians.