Author Topic: MadBunny - why is murder a sin but God ordering destruction of someone not?  (Read 10274 times)

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +113/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
Re: MadBunny - why is murder a sin but God ordering destruction of someone not?
« Reply #406 on: January 15, 2014, 02:21:43 AM »
Who was that question aimed at?

Because i cannot imagine anyone wanting anarchy... ;D

This was an exchange with Skeptic.  He stated something to the effect that atheists would logically conclude to embrace anarchy.  I was wondering how he reached that conclusion and am still wondering. 

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy

Well considering that his version of Christianity is a bit more SPAG than most it's all a guess, but here are my two cents on the idea.

I suspect that he's one of those people who figures that there was no Morality before the bible, or Christianity in general.  He'll probably try to get around it with the old canard: 'God writes morals/law/truth on your heart'.  Atheists, naturally won't have this text.

This is of course objectively untrue as there are plenty of moral atheists, and plenty of people who follow other religions who are moral.  These people are 'objectively' good people.  It's one of the fundamental problem literalists have to deal with : do people who sin (in the sense of not following specific Christian doctrine) all go directly to hell, regardless of circumstance?  Based on the rules of the bible, some of the large sects like the RCC, then yes they do.  Based on what we intuitively know about morality they shouldn't.

If we treat society as a unit we always ALWAYS see that the ones with consistent and 'fair' rules work well.  No real surprise really.  If just anybody can take your crop/food/children because they're stronger than you it leaves very little incentive to have a nice family farm.  Whereas if we have a pretty good idea that if there are laws protecting against this sort of thing that the society with rules and laws will tend to be more stable.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
Re: MadBunny - why is murder a sin but God ordering destruction of someone not?
« Reply #407 on: January 15, 2014, 09:51:34 AM »
highly recommended by Oprah Winfrey

Don't get me started on Oprah.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.