Author Topic: MadBunny - why is murder a sin but God ordering destruction of someone not?  (Read 10549 times)

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-435
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: MadBunny - why is murder a sin but God ordering destruction of someone not?
« Reply #145 on: January 05, 2014, 12:40:56 AM »
God killed all the first born Egyptian kids if their parents didn't put sheep blood on their door, that's crazy.
I want to see a thrust defend that.

This has been explained countless times. The blood represented an innocent sacrifice, foreshadowing Jesus and his sacrifice.

It's not just "something stupid" thrown into the Bible. It has a meaning and purpose.

You sound pretty sure that the death of jesus wasn't foreshadowing your own demise, as yet another sacrifice for the big guy. You know, the one he hasn't told you about yet. But don't worry. They'll tell great stories about you in Bible, Volume II.

It appears atheists are not very tolerant of Christians.
If we say that being gay is a sin, we get told to shut up. But if you guys make fun of Christianity? That's A-OK!

Hypocrisy.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #146 on: January 05, 2014, 12:43:03 AM »
God killed all the first born Egyptian kids if their parents didn't put sheep blood on their door, that's crazy.

This has been explained countless times. The blood represented an innocent sacrifice, foreshadowing Jesus and his sacrifice.

It's not just "something stupid" thrown into the Bible. It has a meaning and purpose.

It's been explained countless times, but never once in a satisfactory manner.  Your god SLAUGHTERED BABIES, dude.  EVERY FIRST-BORN child and beast in Egypt!!  And you follow this psycho?!?!  It makes me sick.
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-435
« Reply #147 on: January 05, 2014, 12:43:22 AM »
Or how about all the babies that God gets killed? Certainly not pro life.  :(

We've been over this. God allows everyone to die.
Is God evil for allowing everyone to die?

I shall be dying on my own terms, thank you. I don't need your fake god to walk me through the process. Nor do I need his permission.

I don't suppose you have any idea how boring it is to keep hearing about your god, who could do anything if he wanted, but who does nothing, except when you need to think you're proving a point. Then he comes in handy for you. Except he isn't real, which makes you sound quite silly.

Not that we're laughing, though...

Please tell me how you know that God is doing nothing.

I see God doing things every single day of my life.

I don't see god doing things every single day of my life. I haven't seen him do one thing on one day of my life. And to top it off, he isn't real anyway, so my experience isn't likely to change.

I've no idea what you're interpreting as the work of your god. Dustbunnies? Static on your TV? Those little floaty things in your eyes? Hey, I dunno, but you're not being very specific. I'd ask you to clarify, but everyone else would laugh at me for being stupid enough to ask. So never mind.

Please try to be more tolerant. Liberals love making fun of Christianity, but throw a fit if Christians say what's on their minds.

Why don't liberals throw a fit when people make fun of Christianity?
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-435
« Reply #148 on: January 05, 2014, 12:45:20 AM »

It's been explained countless times, but never once in a satisfactory manner.  Your god SLAUGHTERED BABIES, dude.  EVERY FIRST-BORN child and beast in Egypt!!  And you follow this psycho?!?!  It makes me sick.

Hasn't it been explained that those babies are God's babies? There is no guarantee of this "perfect dreamy live until you're 105" life.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #149 on: January 05, 2014, 12:52:00 AM »
Please try to be more tolerant. Liberals love making fun of Christianity, but throw a fit if Christians say what's on their minds.

You do realize there are Conservative atheists, right? Go to http://isgodimaginary.com -- plenty there.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +770/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #150 on: January 05, 2014, 12:57:39 AM »
I don't see god doing things every single day of my life. I haven't seen him do one thing on one day of my life. And to top it off, he isn't real anyway, so my experience isn't likely to change.

I've no idea what you're interpreting as the work of your god. Dustbunnies? Static on your TV? Those little floaty things in your eyes? Hey, I dunno, but you're not being very specific. I'd ask you to clarify, but everyone else would laugh at me for being stupid enough to ask. So never mind.

Toleration has its limits. When the people we are asked to be tolerant of aren't tolerant of us, then we give ourselves permission to diss back.

If it makes you feel better, I also make fun of bad drivers, tea partiers, fox non-news, reality shows, the NSA, the TSA and professional wresting. Oh yea, and a gun nuts.

It's okay to make fun of things that deserve it. If christians can live by made-up standards, so can we.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2014, 01:11:06 AM »
Hasn't it been explained that those babies are God's babies? There is no guarantee of this "perfect dreamy live until you're 105" life.
You believing something doesn't make it true.  That's why we use evidence and not declarations like yours which are based on nothing but your own particular beliefs.

And it's true, there's no guarantee that someone will have a good life, or a long life.  That's part of the reason why attempting to claim that all children are God's children doesn't really work.  He should easily be able to figure out a way to maximize the potential of each human life, so none are wasted.  He should easily be able to communicate this to every human in a way which can't be mistaken as something else.  And he should be able to set this up in a way that gives people the freedom to make decisions without allowing those people to inflict totally unnecessary harm on others.

Seriously, think about it.  Parents generally attempt to provide the best lives they can for their children.  That means God should be able to do a better job than any human possibly could, not to mention guiding all these children in an effective manner.  Instead, what do we see?  A kind of hands-off 'parenting' which essentially leaves every human fending for themselves in a spiritual/religious sense, to the point where nobody has any real idea of what's really 'right', and no way to find out either.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +770/-6
« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2014, 01:15:57 AM »
By the way, Skeptic, what part of your telling us that we're doing atheism wrong; that we should all be out killing and raping because we have no morals, shows respect? Because it was statements like that (which you've repeated ad infinitum) that has caused us to jump your butt. Had you shown respect to us, we would still be showing respect to you.

You blew your chance weeks ago. The cry baby routine you're going through now is only crocodile tears, and we know that.

Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline xyzzy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +48/-0
  • "Nothing happens"
    • xyzzy
« Reply #153 on: January 05, 2014, 01:34:13 AM »
Toleration has its limits. When the people we are asked to be tolerant of aren't tolerant of us, then we give ourselves permission to diss back.

If it makes you feel better, I also make fun of bad drivers, tea partiers, fox non-news, reality shows, the NSA, the TSA and professional wresting. Oh yea, and a gun nuts.

It's okay to make fun of things that deserve it. If christians can live by made-up standards, so can we.

Hold the 'phone.

I thought Christians took being mocked as an fulfillment of one of their so-called prophecies? Thus it would be A Good Thing to take the piss as we are affirming their faith? It was the verse that was something like: "Verily, I say unto thee, there will be those that come that will name you fools for believing this absolute load of old bollocks, but thine mockery is thine Facebook badge of honour?"

Maybe Skep isn't a True Christian, just like all those others that he dismisses for not meeting his ephemeral standards?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool -- Richard Feynman
You are in a maze of twisty little religions, all alike -- xyzzy

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #154 on: January 05, 2014, 01:54:24 AM »
If we say that being gay is a sin, we get told to shut up. But if you guys make fun of Christianity? That's A-OK!

No one is born Christian.  There are also also numerous varieties of Christianity, so if one's view of the religion changes it's possible to find a new congregation or leave the religion entirely.  A criticism of Christian doctrine is not necessarily a criticism of people who believe that doctrine, unless it has a deleterious effect on their lives or the lives of others.  (For example, I think it's fair game to criticize parents whose belief in faith healing results in harm to their children through neglect of proper medical care.)

Homosexuality, however, appears to be biological in origin rather that something that one learns.  Telling a gay man that he isn't allowed to express his love for another man is like telling someone with blue eyes that he'll burn in hell unless he keeps his eyes closed for the rest of his life.

Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #155 on: January 05, 2014, 02:00:24 AM »

You are a sick, vile, disgraceful, and disgusting, hypocritical psychopath. You make me want to vomit in your face with your monstrous attempts to rationalize the slaughter of children to save your worthless theology of superstition and death - you sick fuck.

Moderators: I apologize for this but this is one of the most vile things I've ever heard from a Christian. It makes me sick to my core to think about this man's abhorrent beliefs of justified infanticide.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 02:03:21 AM by median »
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-435
« Reply #156 on: January 05, 2014, 02:13:53 AM »

No one is born Christian.  There are also also numerous varieties of Christianity, so if one's view of the religion changes it's possible to find a new congregation or leave the religion entirely.  A criticism of Christian doctrine is not necessarily a criticism of people who believe that doctrine, unless it has a deleterious effect on their lives or the lives of others.  (For example, I think it's fair game to criticize parents whose belief in faith healing results in harm to their children through neglect of proper medical care.)

Homosexuality, however, appears to be biological in origin rather that something that one learns.  Telling a gay man that he isn't allowed to express his love for another man is like telling someone with blue eyes that he'll burn in hell unless he keeps his eyes closed for the rest of his life.

There is no evidence that people are born gay though. They can't find the gay gene. This means it's in the soul.

Skin color and eye color can not be compared to who you choose to sleep with. I can go out and find a guy to have sex if I wanted to, but I don't want to. It IS a choice no matter what anyone says.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-435
« Reply #157 on: January 05, 2014, 02:15:52 AM »

You are a sick, vile, disgraceful, and disgusting, hypocritical psychopath. You make me want to vomit in your face with your monstrous attempts to rationalize the slaughter of children to save your worthless theology of superstition and death - you sick fuck.

Moderators: I apologize for this but this is one of the most vile things I've ever heard from a Christian. It makes me sick to my core to think about this man's abhorrent beliefs of justified infanticide.

if you guys want us to take atheism seriously, you have to start being nice and respectful. Insults like this have no place in friendly tolerant discussions.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-435
« Reply #158 on: January 05, 2014, 02:19:55 AM »
By the way, Skeptic, what part of your telling us that we're doing atheism wrong; that we should all be out killing and raping because we have no morals, shows respect? Because it was statements like that (which you've repeated ad infinitum) that has caused us to jump your butt. Had you shown respect to us, we would still be showing respect to you.

You blew your chance weeks ago. The cry baby routine you're going through now is only crocodile tears, and we know that.

I can tell you guys don't read my posts, or at the very least, do not comprehend them.

I never said you SHOULD be out raping and killing.
I said there is no logical reason to condemn someone who wants to do that stuff. Animals rape and kill all the time in nature.

There is a difference there.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #159 on: January 05, 2014, 02:42:53 AM »

if you guys want us to take atheism seriously, you have to start being nice and respectful. Insults like this have no place in friendly tolerant discussions.

"Atheism" is not a worldview. It is not a positive position on anything. So there is nothing to "take seriously". Again, you misunderstand what non-belief is.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #160 on: January 05, 2014, 02:46:00 AM »

I can tell you guys don't read my posts, or at the very least, do not comprehend them.

I said there is no logical reason to condemn someone who wants to do that stuff. Animals rape and kill all the time in nature.

Yes there is a logical reason. If we value life and we define morality as the minimization of unnecessary harm and the promotion of well being then there is a rational reason (many reasons in fact) for not doing those things b/c they are the opposite of those ends.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #161 on: January 05, 2014, 02:52:48 AM »

There is no evidence that people are born gay though. They can't find the gay gene. This means it's in the soul.

Skin color and eye color can not be compared to who you choose to sleep with. I can go out and find a guy to have sex if I wanted to, but I don't want to. It IS a choice no matter what anyone says.

Another argument from incredulity fallacy. Just b/c YOU cannot understand how homosexuality exists naturally does not mean that it comes from a "soul" (which that word has no meaning or referent). There are lots of scientific studies, research, and professional academic investigation that has taken place regarding this subject. You just don't want to search for it b/c of your closed-mindedness to anything that is contrary to your presuppositions. So much for being an 'honest' person just following Jesus. Go do the research yourself by deliberately reading professional publications that DO NOT AGREE WITH YOU.

Now, who one is physically attracted to is NOT a choice. People have natural inclinations toward physical and emotional attraction. Neither of those says ANYTHING about some "soul" thing you keep trying to talk about. Sorry, trying to answer something you don't understand with superstitious magic talk of invisible things (aka - mysteries) is useless and furthers our understanding by zero amount.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 02:59:55 AM by median »

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #162 on: January 05, 2014, 03:20:55 AM »

No, Skeptic -- This isn't a simple dichotomy between a single "gay" allele on a chromosome versus some nebulous spiritual construct.  Gender identity is a composite of possibly multiple genetic traits (for example, hormonal balance, brain structure and inherited preference for certain physical traits in a partner), and possibly also some environmental factors.

Sexual attraction is also on a continuum.  Some people prefer men with large muscles and a hairy chest, or women with large breasts.  Me, I'm attracted to androgyny -- Tomboyish women, and men with delicate features.

I think you're equivocating a bit on the word "choice."  Choice is not attraction.  I don't want to go out and find a guy to have sex with either, but if I'm attracted to a woman I'll feel the attraction regardless of whether I choose to sleep with her.  Why should I remain celibate, unable to engage in a relationship with a willing adult partner, just because someone else's religion doesn't like it?
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-2
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
« Reply #163 on: January 05, 2014, 07:49:07 AM »

Currently, science seems to back up the idea that homosexuality is a choice rather than a genetic pre-disposition due to the fact a gay gene has yet to surface.  And if the human genome were perfectly understood and explained in all ways I would be inclined to agree with you.

Having met and talked with various gay people through the years it appears some did make the choice due to parental abuse.  Others seem to have been born gay in caring loving families with siblings who are heterosexual.  (Again, this is based on my experience and observations).

Hypothetically speaking, if a gay gene is discovered and shown that this gene, when active, causes people to lean toward a gay lifestyle, would you opinion about homosexuality being a choice change?

Ever curious,

OldChurchGuy
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #164 on: January 05, 2014, 08:04:47 AM »

So, if you can't find something, it is in the soul? I'm interested in how this has been shown to be true.

You may like to read this: "Left-Handedness in Twins: Genes or Environment?"
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0010945296800050 It would appear that left-handedness is not genetic: So, all those left-handed people are just doing it to annoy right-handers and demanding special rights like left-handed can-openers, etc!

Skeptic: I note that you just say the first thing that comes into your head without any thought at all. Have you always been like that? I mean, is it "in your soul"? And if so, can you change it?
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline godzilla

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #165 on: January 05, 2014, 09:35:43 AM »

[/quote]
I am a Republican....

Offline G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +43/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #166 on: January 05, 2014, 10:01:04 AM »
Outside of scientific curiosity as to what makes people tick what difference does it make if someone chooses to be gay or if they are born that way? I myself am a pretty decent nice guy who happens to be straight. Should one day come when penises excite me I will become a pretty decent nice guy who happens to be gay. Why all the hubbub about choice or born that way? Should it become known that being gay is as much a choice as being a boob, ass, or leg man what difference does it make?

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +770/-6
« Reply #167 on: January 05, 2014, 11:40:49 AM »

No, you have said you can't figure out why we aren't. That slight difference isn't worth mentioning.

The following is a selection of quotes from various threads, including this one. These are your words:

Only Christianity teaches us to love one another. Atheism teaches us nothing. Every man for himself.

In an atheistic world, it would be OK to kill your parents to get the money though. Money would get you places in life. You parents being alive wouldn't get you anywhere.

You can care about humans, but you would be borrowing from the Christian worldview that humans have inherent value and worth.

There is no inherent value on human life if God does not exist. We are just wandering blobs of chemicals. Nothing wrong with destroying blobs of chemicals unless we have an inherent value on our lives given to us by God.

Did you miss the part where I said that you got away with no witnesses. If you can get away with crime, why not do it? Who's gonna stop you if nobody ever finds out?

In an atheistic world, why can't we make slaves out of the dumb people?

If atheists came across a culture were rape was required for males to "move up in the ranks" of their society, an atheist can't tell them to stop. Different society, different rules.

Christians can tell them to stop because they are not following God's Word. If somebody wanted to rob my house, I would have no choice but to let them if I were an atheist. I would have to sit there and watch them rob my house and shake their hand before they left and say, "Keep living with your own morals, friend."

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-435
« Reply #168 on: January 05, 2014, 12:07:46 PM »
Outside of scientific curiosity as to what makes people tick what difference does it make if someone chooses to be gay or if they are born that way? I myself am a pretty decent nice guy who happens to be straight. Should one day come when penises excite me I will become a pretty decent nice guy who happens to be gay. Why all the hubbub about choice or born that way? Should it become known that being gay is as much a choice as being a boob, ass, or leg man what difference does it make?

The "hubbub" is that it is a sin like robbing, raping, killing, not worshiping God, etc etc etc. God told us to go forth and multiply. Can't do that if you are gay. You guys seem to know why murder and rape is wrong. How come no one asks, "Why the hubbub about rape and murder? What if you're born that way with no choice but to kill?"

Makes no sense right? It's because it's a choice. No one is born to kill or born to be gay.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-435
« Reply #169 on: January 05, 2014, 12:09:34 PM »

So, if you can't find something, it is in the soul? I'm interested in how this has been shown to be true.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0010945296800050 It would appear that left-handedness is not genetic: So, all those left-handed people are just doing it to annoy right-handers and demanding special rights like left-handed can-openers, etc!

Skeptic: I note that you just say the first thing that comes into your head without any thought at all. Have you always been like that? I mean, is it "in your soul"? And if so, can you change it?

if God had said, "Thou shalt go forth and write right-handed," then being left-handed would be a sin.

It's not our fault that God said homosexuality is a sin. if you guys have a problem, take it up with God. You can't shoot the messengers. It's nonsensical. Sheesh.

Think about it. If you guys created humans and wanted them to reproduce, why would you be happy if some of them are gay?

Spare the whole "other animals are gay in nature!" crap. Animals rape and kill in nature and we don't legalize that. So, this argument is bogus.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 12:11:30 PM by skeptic54768 »

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-435
« Reply #170 on: January 05, 2014, 12:13:32 PM »

Currently, science seems to back up the idea that homosexuality is a choice rather than a genetic pre-disposition due to the fact a gay gene has yet to surface.  And if the human genome were perfectly understood and explained in all ways I would be inclined to agree with you.

Having met and talked with various gay people through the years it appears some did make the choice due to parental abuse.  Others seem to have been born gay in caring loving families with siblings who are heterosexual.  (Again, this is based on my experience and observations).

Hypothetically speaking, if a gay gene is discovered and shown that this gene, when active, causes people to lean toward a gay lifestyle, would you opinion about homosexuality being a choice change?

Ever curious,

OldChurchGuy

If there was a gay gene that was discovered, it would probably be Satan creating it via gene splicing. Lots of people think Satan created houseflys via gene splicing and other annoying insects.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #171 on: January 05, 2014, 12:13:44 PM »

if God had said, "Thou shalt go forth and write right-handed," then being left-handed would be a sin.

It's not our fault that God said homosexuality is a sin. if you guys have a problem, take it up with God. You can't shoot the messengers. It's nonsensical. Sheesh.

Think about it. If you guys created humans and wanted them to reproduce, why would you be happy if some of them are gay?

Spare the whole "other animals are gay in nature!" crap. Animals rape and kill in nature and we don't legalize that. So, this argument is bogus.

Who says we can't shoot[1] the messenger? They're the ones who not only agreed with the message but implement on behalf of who they say it's from.

-Nam
 1. figuratively
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-435
« Reply #172 on: January 05, 2014, 12:16:53 PM »
Who says we can't shoot[1] the messenger? They're the ones who not only agreed with the message but implement on behalf of who they say it's from.

-Nam
 1. figuratively

Nonsensical, Nam. The messenger relays what the Eternal King says. Christians didn't make up the fact that homosexuality is a sin.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #173 on: January 05, 2014, 12:27:07 PM »

-Nam
 1. figuratively

Nonsensical, Nam. The messenger relays what the Eternal King says. Christians didn't make up the fact that homosexuality is a sin.

Did you read what I said? Of course not. YOU IMPLEMENT THE MESSAGE. YOU PROMOTE THE MESSAGE -- whether you agree with it or not is irrelevant because you blindly follow the message because of where the message comes from.

If your messenger (Biblegod ) said for you to kill all babies without brown eyes, you as the messenger would carry out the message.

That's why shooting the messenger is the best option. Words of the message are just words, they can't harm anyone. The messenger has the power not the message nor the one who wrote it.

Idiot.

-Nam