Author Topic: Religious Music at Burger King?!?!  (Read 963 times)

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
Religious Music at Burger King?!?!
« on: December 30, 2013, 10:46:08 PM »
I stopped for a burger today and sat there for quite awhile playing solitaire in my ipad. I realized that the background music was all christian. Not xmas music. It was the sort that sounds like love songs to jesus, or that says "I am forgiven" over and over again. It was really irritating. I can't recall that ever happening before, and can't imagine why a major fast food joint would play it, but if this is normal for them, they've just lost my business. :o
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
Re: Religious Music at Burger King?!?!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 10:50:36 PM »
Seems natural to me they would play songs about the King...

The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline gzusfreke

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +7/-38
  • "Are you casting asparagus on my cooking?"-Curly
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 10:51:04 PM »
I stopped for a burger today and sat there for quite awhile playing solitaire in my ipad. I realized that the background music was all christian. Not xmas music. It was the sort that sounds like love songs to jesus, or that says "I am forgiven" over and over again. It was really irritating. I can't recall that ever happening before, and can't imagine why a major fast food joint would play it, but if this is normal for them, they've just lost my business. :o

Where's it located, sounds like a place I'd like to go when I'm not eating at Chick-fil-A. ;D
A dog barks when his master is attacked. I would be a coward if I saw that God's truth is attacked and yet would remain silent. - John Calvin

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 11:02:26 PM »
Several possibilities suggest themselves... Not sure if you're in the Bible Belt or not; if you are, a Christian-privilege sensibility runs pretty broad and deep there. So it might have just been a shift manager's idea of pleasant background music.

You could ask them online, giving the location of the restaurant in question. Perhaps someone violated company policy; in that case, a complaint or two might be enough to remove the annoyance.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 11:09:10 PM »
Seems to me no matter music is played, there is bound to be a customer who isn't a fan.

Songs that don't worship God generally worship something else, such as money, success, love etc
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 12:30:38 AM »
^^^A point.

Traveler, is this a place you regularly go to? A complaint from a regular customer might carry more weight, if you're moved to do so.

In the burger joints I frequent here in California, I don't think I've ever heard music playing, let alone overtly religious music. Is this an East Coast / Bible Belt thing?
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 01:20:14 AM »
^^^A point.

Traveler, is this a place you regularly go to? A complaint from a regular customer might carry more weight, if you're moved to do so.

In the burger joints I frequent here in California, I don't think I've ever heard music playing, let alone overtly religious music. Is this an East Coast / Bible Belt thing?

I'm probably not a regular enough customer that they'd care, but if its playing next time I go there I'll say something.

I never thought of this area as overly religious, but these days many places seem to have gone fundy.  :(
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +45/-416
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 02:15:17 AM »

This kind of quibbling furthers the negative stereotype of the atheist. I guess tolerance is just a word, not an action.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-2
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 09:30:09 AM »

This kind of quibbling furthers the negative stereotype of the atheist. I guess tolerance is just a word, not an action.

You make a good point.  So am I correct if you are eating at a public dining area and there is music supporting the Muslim faith or Hindu beliefs or praising Satan, you would be tolerant? 

Ever curious,

OldChurchGuy
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 10:39:03 AM »
Dang.  Lost my post cos I timed out!
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 11:12:33 AM »

You make a good point.  So am I correct if you are eating at a public dining area and there is music supporting the Muslim faith or Hindu beliefs or praising Satan, you would be tolerant? 

Ever curious,

OldChurchGuy

Music is the one thing that divides people in the sense that they can never agree on what to play. Churches have arguments over which the right tune for a hymn for example. So what sort of music to play at a burger joint is bound to annoy some people. Personally, If I went somewhere to eat and I really didn't like the music, I would go out and find somewhere else, Businesses that annoy too many customers are bound to change sooner or later.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +263/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 11:15:05 AM »
I've actually walked out of several stores because they were playing Christian music.  Again, we aren't talking Christmas tunes but Christian pop music.  My main objection is not so much to the theme but the actual music quality -- It's uniformly horrible.  Lyrics are unimaginative, singing is for the most part amateurish and/or over-the-top histrionic, and the instrumental arrangements are somewhat less inspiring than elevator music.

If you want to play Christian-inspired classical music like Bach or Handel, though, I'll be right there humming along. 
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 03:25:05 PM »

You're going to cease going to a restaurant because they play religious music? That's stupid. Shit, I should stop going to my favorite restaurant in my hometown because on their TV's they only show FAUX NOISE (FOX News).

Pathetic.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 03:31:21 PM »
I've actually walked out of several stores because they were playing Christian music.  Again, we aren't talking Christmas tunes but Christian pop music.  My main objection is not so much to the theme but the actual music quality -- It's uniformly horrible.  Lyrics are unimaginative, singing is for the most part amateurish and/or over-the-top histrionic, and the instrumental arrangements are somewhat less inspiring than elevator music.

If you want to play Christian-inspired classical music like Bach or Handel, though, I'll be right there humming along. 

I like early Creed (first two albums only) 13 Stones, and I have every single album by Jars of Clay. However, I never buy Christmas albums unless it's original music/lyrics. Listening to everyone and their mother sing the same Christmas songs is highly repetitious and extremely annoying.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 06:03:41 PM »
My local Chik-Fil-A actually plays light jazz/muzak.  Still better than "contemporary Christian music."  I have to admit, it is odd to hear an upbeat jazz version of "Eleanor Rigby."  That's a depressing song and no version of it will convince me otherwise.

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +72/-1
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 02:06:10 AM »
I have to agree with Nam on this one. Get over yourself. This isn't a government facility, nor is there any government coercion to attend, nor is it taxpayer funded. They can play whatever they want, and that is as it should be. It might be a violation of company policy, but it also might not be, and as long as it isn't something really hateful like "god hates fags" or kkk propaganda, I see little reason to care whether it is or isn't.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +45/-416
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 02:08:30 AM »

Ever curious,

OldChurchGuy

Of course I would be tolerant. If I complained about it, does that give the atheists the right to complain about Christian music? Atheists usually complain about Christians being intolerant but atheists can be just as intolerant by walking out due to Christian music. Imagine if a Christian walked out because the song was anti-Jesus, the atheists would probably shout, "Get a life, pal! What's your problem, bigot?"

But an atheist walking out on Christian music? That seems a-OK to them. Can't you see the hypocrisy?
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 02:33:32 AM »
Where's it located, sounds like a place I'd like to go when I'm not eating at Chick-fil-A. ;D

That anti-gay restaurant that has a cock as their mascot?

Damm I hate that frickin' shoes song.  I'm right there with you on this one.

Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 05:33:27 AM »
...Get over yourself. This isn't a government facility, nor is there any government coercion to attend...

No coercion to attend ... that's exactly correct. And I will choose not to attend. I'm stumped why you guys think that I'm not entitled to have an opinion, but you guys are. I found the music obnoxious. If I want a sermon (which those songs were) I'd go to church. I don't go to church for a reason. Why the hell would I subject myself to a sermon when I'm trying to relax over a burger and fries? get over myself indeed. I'm so fucking tired of people telling me to shut up.

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-2
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 06:13:13 AM »

Ever curious,

OldChurchGuy

Of course I would be tolerant. If I complained about it, does that give the atheists the right to complain about Christian music? Atheists usually complain about Christians being intolerant but atheists can be just as intolerant by walking out due to Christian music. Imagine if a Christian walked out because the song was anti-Jesus, the atheists would probably shout, "Get a life, pal! What's your problem, bigot?"

But an atheist walking out on Christian music? That seems a-OK to them. Can't you see the hypocrisy?

Based on the responses, it may be an error to paint atheists with the broad brush statement "That seems a-OK to them".  I don's see hypocrisy as much as I see an lack of tolerance by individuals in both camps when in a situation causing either to feel uncomfortable. 

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 11:36:16 AM »
...Get over yourself. This isn't a government facility, nor is there any government coercion to attend...

No coercion to attend ... that's exactly correct. And I will choose not to attend. I'm stumped why you guys think that I'm not entitled to have an opinion, but you guys are. I found the music obnoxious. If I want a sermon (which those songs were) I'd go to church. I don't go to church for a reason. Why the hell would I subject myself to a sermon when I'm trying to relax over a burger and fries? get over myself indeed. I'm so fucking tired of people telling me to shut up.

You're right to your opinion, just like we have the right to ridicule you for it. You're complaining about nothing, essentially.

-Nam

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 09:22:55 PM »

Back when I was a christian, and I heard DC Talk, I said that [thier "music"] sucked. They [my minister] gave me this spiel that you're supposed to excuse them about the succkage because it's the "message that's important." I still didn't go to the store to buy one of thier tapes.

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 03:18:07 PM »
I don't have much of an opinion on this subject.

I'll just say I know some places like to play Holiday or Christmas Music during the holidays and it can get repetitive and stale after hearing the same songs year after year.  Some people switch to religious music even though it can be obnoxious and preachy.
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 03:45:41 PM »
Damm I hate that frickin' shoes song.  I'm right there with you on this one.

Ohh so in agreement a nice "Away in a manger" or "God rest ye merry Gentlemen" is fine in a mix that includes "Santa Baby" and "Frosty the Snowman" if the intent isn't preachy, everythings peachy.

But Christmas Shoes.....GRRRRRRR! So the singer is singing the praises of a God who killed a young kids Mom just so he isn't feeling agitated on an artifically assigned birthday of his son? "Christmas is all about" going out to buy something rather than spend time with your dying Mom, something you can't afford and she cannot use? GRRRRRR!

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 04:31:10 PM by Hatter23 »
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 04:24:37 PM »
Actually, there are a lot of xmas songs i like, including "Little Drummer Boy." The ones I like are stories, no more annoying than a song about Zeus or unicorns. Its the preachy/creepy ones that bug me.

Offline G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +42/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 04:57:00 PM »
Am I the only one who has no idea what the Xmas shoe song is?

As for music in Burger King... Burger King music will always suck. It's still better than that store the Buckle though. Where the music sucks but its loud enough to not be able to ignore it. It's as if they think that top 50 pop rock will allure me to buy their super expensive pretentious clothing. It seems as if they place the speakers outside the store to fill the mall with their toxic noise.
I personally could care less about what music is played in fast food joints. I already have really low expectations for my dining experience anyway.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 05:33:32 PM »
Am I the only one who has no idea what the Xmas shoe song is?

Let me know if you get even half way through it.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, 06:40:56 PM »
Let me know if you get even half way through it.

I didn't... about one-third, I think.  That was beyond sappy.  Jeez.  It's makes that "Teddy Bear" trucker song from the Seventies sound like heavy metal.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +263/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 07:09:07 PM »
...atheists musicians can be just as intolerant by walking out due to Christian lousy music.

FTFY.

As I said, Skeptic, it isn't so much the fact the music is Christian; it's the fact that it's bad music[1].  The harmonies tend to be trite and sometimes technically incorrect, the lyrics are wordy and badly paced, and the arrangement unimaginative.

I love a lot of music that comes from a profoundly religious base, including virtually everything I've heard from J. S. Bach.  I've played and/or sang a lot of it over the years, too:  Excerpts from Bach's St. John Passion and Handel's Messiah, "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" (Bach again); this beautiful piece by Brahms...

"

...and just about every Christmas carol you can think of.  I'm just now relaxing after the Christmas concert season, having played 7 shows with 2 different bands in 3 towns.  Counting the rehearsals, which have been underway since the middle of November, that's a lot of Christian music.

Unfortunately, I have a neurological trait that is both a blessing and a curse:  A for-real phonographic memory.  If I listen carefully to a song once or twice, it gets stored into long-term memory and can be triggered if I hear the title, a fragment of the lyrics, or  accidentally hum part of the melody.  (For example, this afternoon I somehow managed to get the song "Sooner or Later" by the Grassroots playing in My head, despite the fact that I haven't heard it in months.)

So imagine My plight if I'm trying to buy something, or sit down and enjoy an ice cream, and something gawdawful is playing on the PA system.  My only choices are cut and run, or face the prospect of being ambushed by "Jesus Died for You, You Ungrateful Wretch" at random times to the end of My days.
 1. FWIW, I also despise non-religious bad music and actually cancelled a gym membership because the gym changed the radio to a hideous hip-pop station.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles