Author Topic: A theists explanation  (Read 259 times)

Offline 1makesitwrong

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
A theists explanation
« on: December 30, 2013, 08:26:50 AM »
I have read through a lot posts on this site. I have yet to see the theists explain how the bible is from a perfect god. For example, god says slavery is ok. Please tell me who is wrong. How can you interpet anything else other than slavery is ok. Are you saying that man can make immoral what god has made moral. Didn't he sit back and look at what he made and proclaim it is good and then take a day off? It's a simple question.  Either he is right or we are wrong. I look forward to hearing the complicated  responses from all the theists.
The bible was pronounced dead at the scene

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-2
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
Re: A theists explanation
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 09:04:26 AM »
I have read through a lot posts on this site. I have yet to see the theists explain how the bible is from a perfect god. For example, god says slavery is ok. Please tell me who is wrong. How can you interpet anything else other than slavery is ok. Are you saying that man can make immoral what god has made moral. Didn't he sit back and look at what he made and proclaim it is good and then take a day off? It's a simple question.  Either he is right or we are wrong. I look forward to hearing the complicated  responses from all the theists.

Speaking for myself I believe I am in touch with a perfect god but am also aware that as a human I am imperfect and inconsistent.  Therefore, I believe the Bible is an attempt by a variety of people over many centuries trying to explain what it is like to experience God. 

If you are seeking proof that my understanding is correct, I am afraid I can't help you. 

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 12:52:18 PM »

Speaking for myself I believe I am in touch with a perfect god but am also aware that as a human I am imperfect and inconsistent.  Therefore, I believe the Bible is an attempt by a variety of people over many centuries trying to explain what it is like to experience God. 

If you are seeking proof that my understanding is correct, I am afraid I can't help you. 

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy
so is it God who is wrong or not..... Or slavery being the norm in the time of the PEOPLE who wrote the Bible seeing that it was ok to attribute it to God?

Like most theists OCG you seem to embrace the loving God and dismiss the evil God at it is written in the Bible
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 12:56:01 PM by 12 Monkeys »
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline 1makesitwrong

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 01:18:57 PM »
I believe it's a very simple question.  Who is right god or man.  The bible is very clear about slavery being ok, even encouraged.  So why can't I get a answer from theists?  Why can't you own up to the evidence, that the bible is wrong? I am feeling generous oldchurchguy and I will never hassle you again if you admit to this one mistake.  There is one caveat you must admit that the mistake is made in both the old and new testament, since it is condoned in both. 
The bible was pronounced dead at the scene

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 01:40:08 PM »
Theist love to attribute anything good in the Bible to God and anything bad to the men who wrote the Bible,it's just that simple

Slavery is still alive and well today,just under the illusion of extracting valuables in foreign lands,employing the locals and taking all the profit out of the countries they exploit
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-2
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 04:45:52 PM »

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy
so is it God who is wrong or not..... Or slavery being the norm in the time of the PEOPLE who wrote the Bible seeing that it was ok to attribute it to God?

Like most theists OCG you seem to embrace the loving God and dismiss the evil God at it is written in the Bible

Guilty as charged.

As always,

OldChurchGuy

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-2
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 05:01:11 PM »
I believe it's a very simple question.  Who is right god or man.  The bible is very clear about slavery being ok, even encouraged.  So why can't I get a answer from theists?  Why can't you own up to the evidence, that the bible is wrong? I am feeling generous oldchurchguy and I will never hassle you again if you admit to this one mistake.  There is one caveat you must admit that the mistake is made in both the old and new testament, since it is condoned in both.

I agree it is a simple question.  I am unable to give you a simple answer as I do not see the Bible as being the divinely inspired inerrant word of God.  For me, it is a life long journey of discovery and understanding and part of that is through this web site.  Stay patient with me.  Perhaps sometime in the future I can provide a simple answer to your question.

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy