Author Topic: Non Religious Charity and Mother Theresa  (Read 160 times)

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
Non Religious Charity and Mother Theresa
« on: December 27, 2013, 12:40:48 PM »
We've discussed the lies about Mother Theresa before, and christians have challenged us to provide information about "atheist charities."

This article touches on both. Written by a man who worked in one of Mother Theresa's horrible hospitals for a couple of months, and who now runs a humanist charity.

http://thehumanist.org/january-february-2014/the-humanist-interview-with-hemley-gonzalez/
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +99/-2
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
Re: Non Religious Charity and Mother Theresa
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 07:28:45 PM »
WOW!  A very interesting article.  I need to do some reading on Mother Theresa.  Thanks for the viewpoint.

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Offline xyzzy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +48/-0
  • "Nothing happens"
    • xyzzy
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 08:47:57 PM »
WOW!  A very interesting article.  I need to do some reading on Mother Theresa.  Thanks for the viewpoint.

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy

Here's some links that you might find interesting. You can get the book from the library, but Amazon hyperlinks come with pretty pictures - http://www.amazon.com/The-Missionary-Position-Mother-Practice/dp/1455523003/

Two videos. One by Hitchens, the other Penn & Teller.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool -- Richard Feynman
You are in a maze of twisty little religions, all alike -- xyzzy

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 10:30:01 PM »
Coincidentally, I just finished reading a memoir by someone who was a nun for the Missions of Charity (Mother Teresa's group).  She was a nun for 20 years before leaving. Very interesting.  It is NOT a scathing denunciation of Mother Teresa although the book is not 100% positive either.

I would recommend it if you want to learn a bit about the "behind the scenes" of being a nun and a bit about Mother Teresa.  The author had some access to her and definitely knew a lot about the running of the order.

I was impressed by this quote from the end of the book and actually wrote it down.  She is speaking, in this quote, about her conversation with a priest who she knew from when she was a nun and then met up with at a conference after she left the order. 

I particularly like the concept of "god" being the best part of you (rather than external).  I don't believe in god, of course, but I do think that any spirituality that we have as human beings comes from within us (our brains) and that is the only rational way to think about it.

Here's the quote:

“…I don’t have the courage to tell him about the afternoon near dusk when I sat on a hill overlooking a pond in Vermont.  That day I called out to God, loudly.  I yelled, “So are you out there? And if you are, what are you like? Tell me.  I’ve got to know.”  I don’t tell Father Bob about the still, small voice I heard within.  Look inside yourself, the voice said. God is like the best parts of you.

From there it was a short step to God IS the best parts of you.

I don’t tell Father Bob how the stories about God no longer ring true, how physics and literature and music feel so much more honest than theology.  I don’t tell him that I’ve learned to be content with mystery, that the universe and its secrets excite me.  I don’t mention that living mindfully, trying to do good while avoiding harm, works better than keeping the Rules [of the religious order] ever did.”

--Mary Johnson, An Unquenchable Thirst: Following Mother Teresa in search of love, service, and an authentic life.