Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 655 times)

Offline charlie24

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-8
  • WWGHA Member
Introduction
« on: December 26, 2013, 06:10:20 AM »
Hello everyone! My name is Charlie, and I am a Christian. I'm not a preacher, I am a construction engineer. I hope no one considers me the enemy because I consider no one to be my enemy. I have read many of the posts and found some very interesting. I joined the website to hopefully give and receive constructive information concerning the existence of God.
I have never really given much thought to the atheist belief, but I have found some of the posts interesting. I will do my best to abide by the rules of the website. If I begin to preach just say so. If anyone would like to know the basic Christian point of view on any subject, I will be happy answer any questions, as I will probably be asking the same. My belief is centered in the Word of God, so at times I will have to refer to scripture. I don't consider referring to scripture as preaching when I must do so to make a point. Agreed, it will be difficult communicating scripture to those who don't believe in holy scripture. But I will respect your point of view and hopefully you will respect mine. 
It is impossible for me to take offence at anyone concerning the topics we will be discussing. So don't worry about playing hard ball, I'm very laid back.

Thank You,

Happy Holidays to EVERYONE!

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 09:27:10 PM »
Welcome to the forum, charlie24. I'm not a Moderator, but generally speaking, quoting religious scripture to make a point isn't seen as preaching.

I have never really given much thought to the atheist belief, but I have found some of the posts interesting.

I know it can be a hard thing for theists to grasp, but atheism doesn't require belief. Atheism is the lack of belief in a god or gods.

Agreed, it will be difficult communicating scripture to those who don't believe in holy scripture. But I will respect your point of view and hopefully you will respect mine.

Well, if the meaning of Biblical scripture was unambiguous, then there wouldn't be so many different Christian denominations. So it's not only atheists who have difficulty in that area.

It is impossible for me to take offence at anyone concerning the topics we will be discussing. So don't worry about playing hard ball, I'm very laid back.

Thank You,

Glad to hear you don't take offense easily. This forum can be kinda rough-and-tumble sometimes. Some people don't feel that  having their opinions and other ideas attacked is different than being personally attacked.

Hope to see you around the forum.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 12:36:42 PM »
Welcome Charlie!

one thing to keep i mind: folks here are quick to call people on logical fallacies.  Some of them might have slightly offensive names (argument from ignorance springs to mind), particulalry if you're not familiar with logical fallacies.  Keep an open mind (as it sounds like you may) and you'll learn a lot here, as I have.

cheers!
It's one of the reasons I'm an atheist today.  I decided to take my religion seriously, and that's when it started to fall apart for me.
~jdawg70

Offline wolfunchained

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 01:26:21 PM »
hey charlie

im relativly new here as well and i can tell you it heats up quick when you have a good old fashioned debate.
i am an ex christian (seventh day adventist) which means i know my scripture and i now have rational thought to draw on for debating.

i hope you enjoy the forum as you joined up knowing what this place is all about. im not here to convert anyone to atheism, im here to mix and mingle and throw around ideas and opinions.

see you around mate

Wolfie
now I've broken through the glass, im lacerated from my past, I climbed over my prison walls, the pain was delightful.

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 09:03:58 PM »
Welcome charlie! ;D

-Shaffy
We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it.

~ParkingPlaces

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +131/-7
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 11:12:38 PM »
Hello everyone! My name is Charlie, and I am a Christian. I'm not a preacher, I am a construction engineer. I hope no one considers me the enemy because I consider no one to be my enemy.

Good because we don't have enemies.

I have read many of the posts and found some very interesting. I joined the website to hopefully give and receive constructive information concerning the existence of God.

It's unlikely that you can give us constructive information concerning the existence of god because we've heard it all. But if you have something unique we will listen -- just don't be surprised when you find your information is not unique.

I have never really given much thought to the atheist belief, but I have found some of the posts interesting.

Atheism isn't a belief. Atheism means a- (without) theism (theology). An atheist is a person without beliefs, which is an important distinction.

I will do my best to abide by the rules of the website. If I begin to preach just say so. If anyone would like to know the basic Christian point of view on any subject, I will be happy answer any questions, as I will probably be asking the same.

We know the basic Christian points of view, as well as some rather advanced points of view. Among our members were former members of catholicism, methodism, southern baptist, jehovah's witness, judaism, etc etc, as well as members who are currently active in their religions.

OldChurchGuy is a good resource for being a theist member while following the rules of the forum.

My belief is centered in the Word of God, so at times I will have to refer to scripture. I don't consider referring to scripture as preaching when I must do so to make a point. Agreed, it will be difficult communicating scripture to those who don't believe in holy scripture. But I will respect your point of view and hopefully you will respect mine.

Using scripture to reinforce circular references should be avoided. Some members (like me) will dismiss scripture because we do not believe that an entity can exist that has the attributes of your god, so the bible is not the work of god. Ergo, scripture is meaningless. If you want to posit that one person is a better Christian than another based upon how each religion interprets a particular scripture you can do that, but then you won't be engaging in a discussion about atheism.

Very good that you recognize that you do not have a right to not be offended. This concept is not understood and/or is totally rejected by most Christians.

Sarah Palin says you are ruining Christmas for everyone and you are making baby jesus upset.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 08:22:35 PM »
Hi everyone,
I am new on here and was just getting a feel for some of the poster in the religious thread but you shoul know this might not last long as I am already called a troll and threatened with banning by an adminstrator  :(
Peace
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 08:27:00 PM by Jesuis »
According to Theists: Theists know God, Atheists don't.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +131/-7
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 08:29:19 PM »
Hi everyone,
I am new on here and was just getting a feel for some of the poster in the religious thread

You are supposed to have your own introductory thread. This thread is to ask charlie24 a question or comment about something he said.

but you shoul know this might not last long as I am already called a troll and threatened with banning by a moderator.  :(
Peace

That should tell you something, not us.

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with standard forum decorum.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 09:02:15 PM »
standard forum decorum.

And until you are familiar with forum decorum you'll have no thread cred.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 11:35:00 PM »
standard forum decorum.

And until you are familiar with forum decorum you'll have no thread cred.

Unless you befriend me--I'll be Boots in cahoots!
It's one of the reasons I'm an atheist today.  I decided to take my religion seriously, and that's when it started to fall apart for me.
~jdawg70

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 02:01:55 AM »
All this nonsense you guys spout ...
cut it out!

Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline mcjkiupoliu

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 11:29:36 PM »

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +438/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 11:14:02 AM »

Careful there.  This is still the Internet.  Do not underestimate the ability of others to offend, especially on a discussion forum rife with emotionally-charged topics.

But welcome aboard.  Strap yourself in and make liberal use of the 'Preview' button.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/