Author Topic: How realiable in the so-called God gene in predicting religious affiliation?  (Read 543 times)

Offline rickymooston

I mean, apparently, that gene gives you a spirtual experiece.

Does the suicide bomber as a bad example have this or does he just believe the programming without the spirituality thing.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline Deus ex Machina

• Fellow
  • Darwins +23/-3
  • non-cdesign-proponentsist
I doubt there's a connection. People can be as zealous about political ideologies as religious ones. (Or perhaps, for them, their politics is their religion.)
No day in which you learn something is wasted.

Offline rickymooston

I doubt there's a connection. People can be as zealous about political ideologies as religious ones. (Or perhaps, for them, their politics is their religion.)

This is my intuition too.

I suspect I have the God gene actually. Not sure tho.

I did have a religious period. I was born in an atheist background. I'm still "spiritual"
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline Whitney

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Happy Atheist
    • Happy Atheist Forum
From what I have read...research into the "god gene" is still fairly preliminary.  All they really know so far is that certain areas of the brain "light up" during religious experiences and they can make people have religious experiences through g-force machines (like for pilot training).

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
I think people can have innately higher or lower levels of religiosity, but not affiliation.  That can be caused by genetics but may as well be caused by physical development tied to environmental factors, and the type of emotional and interactive environment the person grows up in.   I'd give genetics an important but not overriding influence on overall development.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline rickymooston

From what I have read...research into the "god gene" is still fairly preliminary.  All they really know so far is that certain areas of the brain "light up" during religious experiences and they can make people have religious experiences through g-force machines (like for pilot training).

Makes sense.

Would be nice to know what sort of individuals are tested and what sort of experiences.

I want to test the suicide bomber guy when he is praying to mecca.