Author Topic: US Christianity and Politics  (Read 123 times)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
US Christianity and Politics
« on: January 16, 2014, 11:46:41 PM »
I was thinking about this earlier and everyone knows the unity of protestants in the US is varying; meaning that they are not usually unified, in anything. There are a plethora of different sects of Christianity in the US that new ones pop up all the time. Even in the same sect "unity" doesn't always play a role. Take my family church (maternal) it originally came from another church (also a family church) but 100 years ago some of the congregation disagreed on one single issue (no one remembers what that issue is, nor is anyone alive to tell) so they split off and built another church. Many churches have and probably still do, go through similar problems.

Then there's politics. In the Democratic party Christians (in my opinion) are not unified unless it's about a particular agenda though voter turnout isn't necessarily dictated by that[1] yet they are growing more in certain demographs than others, and in that sense are unified.  The Republican party is ruled by unity[2] and, I tried looking it up but wasn't quite able to but I find they are mainly of the vein of those in protestant Christian sects which, as stated, doesn't really seem to be unified based on the fact that there are a plethora of sects.

I just wonder why that is? When it comes to their religion they can't be any more disagreeable[3] but when it comes to politics, especially for Republicans, that just doesn't seem to be the case.

-Nam
 1. of course those in non-blue states may find it more difficult to vote when the opposite party in control does everything it can to make sure they can't vote; non-whites and women being the most oppressed
 2. even if they are currently in a "Civil War" between Moderates and Conservatives
 3. well, they can
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey