Author Topic: Features of Atheist worldview  (Read 212 times)

Offline dennis

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +12/-16
  • WWGHA Challenger
    • My Intro
Features of Atheist worldview
« on: December 18, 2014, 07:29:26 PM »
(Giving the 'Shelter' a crack - not sure if it will be boring :))

I am really interested in understanding 'where you are coming from.
Just learned on main board that atheists (and the like) don't believe evil exists, for instance. Never knew that.

What I have learned so far and what I assume of your worldview (and or consequences of adopting a materialist/naturalist mindset) is that its features are:

<> There is no objective meaning to life (create your own).
<> Evil does not exists (just a version of bad)
<> Life events are driven completely by chance
<> Morality is subjective
<> Everything is comprised of matter
<> Laws of nature (physics) are just so

and so on.
I am keen to add to the list and/or to be corrected - even nuances - so that I can understand your POV better.

Thx

God loves atheists more than many christians.
Revelations 3:16
---------
My Intro contains my POV if you want to know where I stand on issues.

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,27546.0.html

Offline Ataraxia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +86/-1
  • "I am large, I contain multitudes."
Re: Features of Atheist worldview
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 08:00:22 PM »
There is no reason to believe there is an objective meaning to life.
There is no reason to believe evil exists.
There is not enough information to say conclusively that events are driven completely by chance.
There is no reason to believe that morality is anything but subjective.
There is no reason to believe that there is anything else but nature to be "just so".

Fixed those for you. Notice how your list turned negatives into positive assertions? Sorry, but I've seen through this transparency all too often.
If you keep on living your life as though your purpose is to be saved and go to heaven, you are missing the heaven that you are living in right now.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 08:24:54 PM »
(Giving the 'Shelter' a crack - not sure if it will be boring :))

I am really interested in understanding 'where you are coming from.
Just learned on main board that atheists (and the like) don't believe evil exists, for instance. Never knew that.

Well, this particular atheist believes evil exists; it's just that I recognize my definition of "evil" is subjective.

What I have learned so far and what I assume of your worldview (and or consequences of adopting a materialist/naturalist mindset) is that its features are:

<> There is no objective meaning to life (create your own).

Pretty much. That doesn't happen in a moral / social vacuum, of course. Our social and cultural upbringing generally has a heavy influence on such things.

<> Evil does not exists (just a version of bad)

See above.

<> Life events are driven completely by chance

It's not entirely clear what you mean here, but I'll assume (unless corrected) that you mean most atheists don't believe in an intelligent agency behind ordinary events. That is, we believe that Hurricane Katrina devastating New Orleans happened because of certain natural conditions, not because of some god's "plan". If so, yeah.

<> Morality is subjective

People's morality tends to be influenced by the prevailing cultural and social norms, so yeah.

Those bits that aren't energy, sure.

Again, I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean, as opposed to the Fine-tuned Universe argument?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-tuned_Universe

If so, then yes.

and so on.
I am keen to add to the list and/or to be corrected - even nuances - so that I can understand your POV better.

Thx

Sure thing. Just keep in mind I'm not (for the most part) claiming to speak for any atheist but myself. We're a pretty varied bunch, as I hope you're starting to see.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline dennis

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +12/-16
  • WWGHA Challenger
    • My Intro
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 09:18:37 PM »
There is not enough information to say conclusively that events are driven completely by chance.
There is no reason to believe that there is anything else but nature to be "just so".

Fixed those for you. Notice how your list turned negatives into positive assertions? Sorry, but I've seen through this transparency all too often.

I really don't understand what you are referring too (wrt transparency')?

I don't think it is an unreasonable question to ask what it is that you ACTUALLY believe (as opposed to not believe.)

I don't believe Unicorns existed is different to I believe in unicorns existed.
The first says almost nothing and the latter says something specific.

What I am trying to understand is the ACTUAL things that make up your belief system

It is frustrating to debate with people who simply say 'I don't believe in...' - so I am trying to understand what it is you believe in.

---------

Offline dennis

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +12/-16
  • WWGHA Challenger
    • My Intro
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 09:28:21 PM »
@wright
Sorry screwed up the quoting but:

Those bits that aren't energy, sure.

So energy is NOT matter as in it is not made up of anything at all, is that right?

Again, I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean, as opposed to the Fine-tuned Universe argument?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-tuned_Universe

If so, then yes.

Actually that is not what I mean.
I am trying to understand why you think there are laws. e.g. the first law of thermodynamics.
I want to know, in your opinion, how come there is such a law?
---------

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 09:50:26 PM »
Dennis. This is a real question.

I'm 6'2" tall. Do you think that my height plays an important role in my "worldview"? That is, when confronted with reality in some way, do you imagine that I say "Hey, I'm sort of tall, I should react accordingly!"? Or do you understand that my height is normally irrelevant unless the situation involved bumping my head or ducking gunfire?

I ask because that is how relevant my atheism is to my every day life. I have merely removed the concept of god from my world and I look at it assuming there isn't one. But that assumption is not an active part of my thought process. I don't need it for anything unless I'm discussing the issue. It is a given, just like needing to breathe air, knowing that pigs don't fly and/or understanding the ineffectiveness of mistletoe when it comes to getting my ugly mug kissed. The information is there in the background, and available to me if I need it, but I don't confront the good, the bad or the ugly by remembering I'm an atheist before doing something ungodly.

When a tsunami kills thousands, I recognize that our planet can do some amazing and, in cases such as these, terrible things. I see the deaths as in inevitable by-product of such natural power, combined with everything from ineffective warning systems to people just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I don't assign any evil the the tragedy. I see only unfortunate circumstances.

A school shooting, on the other hand, is a human being doing something to other human beings for reasons I simply can't comprehend. Yet any "evil" I assign to the act is merely me recognizing that the bad people involved were selfish SOB's with various mental and social problems that could perhaps have been addressed before the tragedy, thereby saving lives. So I see it as evil in the sense that someone was the opposite of good, but not evil in the sense that satan or original sin was involved.

No, life has no meaning. Other than what we humans assign to it. For our convenience or comfort. I've certainly done my share of assigning some sort of meaning to my life and the lives around me, but I don't for a second assume my POV to be absolutely accurate. It is part of the story I tell myself about living on earth. I'll get back to the story thing shortly.

Life events are indeed driven by chance, overall. Each of us are very lucky to be here, because it would have taken so little for any of us to not be born in the first place. Any change in history a few days or earlier prior to our conception would have either halted said conception or resulted, at best, in another combination go sperm and egg and we wouldn't be us. Right now I'm reading a history book about WWII, which took place before I was born. There were several instances where major naval attacks were planned but as the ships got ready to leave, people realized that it was Friday the 13th, and sailors consider it bad luck to embark on that date. So the ships left a day later, to avoid bad luck, and hence the battles ended differently. Victory might have gone to the other side, certainly different men would have died, and the whole course of history would have been changed enough that by 1950, when I was conceived, the odds of that specific egg and sperm getting together would have been unestimateably low. Since there is no god to know everything, my existence, and yours, was far from a given, even a few days before conception. Yet alone years before. If there is anything besides chance (and biology and a few other minor players), we don't know about it yet, and it probably isn't a major influence on existence. Things like gravity and the speed of light might have been influenced by factors other than chance, but once life got involved, chance indeed started to rule the day.

Morality is subjective. I wish it wasn't. I hope we can find a way to universalize and humanize morality so that young black men don't get shot and slaves don't get owned and soldiers stop killing, but there is a factor involved that prevents such an ideal world. And that is the humans that live in it, none of whom live by the same rules all the time. Stories are involved with here as well. Again, I'll get back to the stories in a minute.

I don't know that everything is comprised of matter (and energy, which is the same thing in a different form), but so far, it kind of looks that way. However, stories about gods and magic and wonders beyond all imagination have been a part of our human story for tens of thousands of years. This brings us back to stories. Which I shall now discuss.

All humans require stories. There is no way to exist on this planet and not have story after story in our heads explaining various aspects of reality. There is no requirement that any of these stories be accurate. They only need to be functional.

For instance, I have my own story about how American government works. It is simplistic, naïve, and inaccurate. I have never had access to good information about what goes on behind closed doors, about how big money influences politics, about what inspires a person to be a politician, about the general realities involved with governing millions of people, etc. But I've swallowed enough of the propaganda (democracy is the best way to run the world, we are a democracy, we are free, our country is great, etc.) and combined that with my own story and poof, I have ended up as a fairly decent, fairly well behaved citizen of my country, based almost entirely upon my acceptance of, and my manipulation of, a story that is totally bullshit.

And that's how humans operate. We tell ourselves stories about marriage and driving cars and the importance of our job and the relevance of entertainment and we put it all together with us inside it and poof, things seem to make sense. Even when they don't, in any accurate sense of the word.

And one of those stories often relied on is religion. Which is a story the provides a simplified view of reality, easily accepted, by the ignorant and the educated alike, so long as it matches their other stories, or influences their other stories, enough to seem plausible.

Little accuracy is available for any of our stories. No matter how much a realist a person is, they simply don't have enough information to ditch the stories and replace them with some accurate representation of reality. From time to time we have to face reality, like when a loved one dies or a partner wants a divorce or something, but most of the time we are all floating around in our individual fantasy lands, blatantly aware that our own story beats the crap out of most of the other stories, and humming along, erroneously thinking that we have our shit together.

I try to avoid the stories that are too obviously stories. Hence I'm not religious. That makes me an atheist. And I'm just as wrong as everyone else about everything else. But not about religion.

Everyone's worldview sucks. Most of them work. We would be better served if we all took it upon ourselves to add accuracy to all of our stories. We won't. And in the meantime, the religious want to stress the importance of their particular inaccuracies a bit more than I like.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 09:52:29 PM »
@wright
Sorry screwed up the quoting but:

So energy is NOT matter as in it is not made up of anything at all, is that right?

I'm just an interested layman, but this distinction seems serviceable:
In physics, energy is a property of objects, transferable among them via fundamental interactions, which can be converted into different forms but not created or destroyed.

From the wiki:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy

Maybe a more accurate way would be to say the universe is entirely material, and that matter just resides at varying levels of energy? Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

If so, then yes.

Actually that is not what I mean.
I am trying to understand why you think there are laws. e.g. the first law of thermodynamics.
I want to know, in your opinion, how come there is such a law?

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Why are there such laws, or as Sagan said, patterns of nature? I haven't the foggiest idea.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline dennis

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +12/-16
  • WWGHA Challenger
    • My Intro
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 10:11:54 PM »
Got that @Wright thanks
---------

Offline dennis

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +12/-16
  • WWGHA Challenger
    • My Intro
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 10:33:52 PM »
Dennis. This is a real question.

I'm 6'2" tall. Do you think that my height plays an important role in my "worldview"? That is, when confronted with reality in some way, do you imagine that I say "Hey, I'm sort of tall, I should react accordingly!"? Or do you understand that my height is normally irrelevant unless the situation involved bumping my head or ducking gunfire?
I know this is an analogy to make the point and they tend to break when stretched. But I think it is a good one and I think I can make a point by continuing it.

I believe that your height actually does influence you - albeit in ways you don't recognise.

You are less afraid of other people. People treate you differently. You are more likely to assume authority in a situation. You are a different person you would have been at 5'6".

Whilst your height IS irrelevant to the extent that you don't think about it when going about your life, it is NOT irrelevant to the decisions you make.

<...>

All humans require stories. There is no way to exist on this planet and not have story after story in our heads explaining various aspects of reality. There is no requirement that any of these stories be accurate. They only need to be functional.

All true. But in addition we also want our our stories to have meaning.
Now one of two things can happen, you can create the meaning - as you do - or you seek objective, transcendent meaning. The fact that most people instinctively search for it is evidence that it is the way we are made (and not evidence of that it exists).

But here is the thing. If you go and search for it, you actually can find it. The only evidence for that is a your personal experience of that meaningfulness.

<...>
And one of those stories often relied on is religion. Which is a story the provides a simplified view of reality, easily accepted, by the ignorant and the educated alike, so long as it matches their other stories, or influences their other stories, enough to seem plausible.

Little accuracy is available for any of our stories. No matter how much a realist a person is, they simply don't have enough information to ditch the stories and replace them with some accurate representation of reality. From time to time we have to face reality, like when a loved one dies or a partner wants a divorce or something, but most of the time we are all floating around in our individual fantasy lands, blatantly aware that our own story beats the crap out of most of the other stories, and humming along, erroneously thinking that we have our shit together.

I try to avoid the stories that are too obviously stories. Hence I'm not religious. That makes me an atheist. And I'm just as wrong as everyone else about everything else. But not about religion.

I think the idea of 'story' shouldn't be equated to fiction.

In this example we are both talking about the narratives and the meaning and purpose and values we seek as we make sense of the world. We 'organise' these ideas into a cohesive narrative and call it a story. But it is not a story in the same sense as a bedtime story or a movie story.

I agree with the points about accuracy etc. But the fact that we don't understand completely does not mean it is not essentially true.

It is not a bad thing if cobble together the stories to make a whole; a worldview should be cohesive and have explanatory power otherwise it is a useless diversion.

You acknowledge that we all have stories (some better/worse etc) but still we have them as part of the human condition.

Does it therefore not stand to reason that (at least) one of those narratives of our lives will end up being the true one?

Everyone's worldview sucks. Most of them work. We would be better served if we all took it upon ourselves to add accuracy to all of our stories. We won't. And in the meantime, the religious want to stress the importance of their particular inaccuracies a bit more than I like.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Whilst I responded to your comments, I don't particularly want to debate each element (yet) of the respective stories - I am trying to compile a list that will give me a framework for understanding the non-theistic view better.

Is there anything you want to add to the original list?

So far I have only received agreement/ explanation, but nothing new - and that is what I would like to learn more about.

---------

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 03:24:00 AM »
There is no atheist (note the lowercase "a") worldview. There are worldviews (note the plural; no two atheists are alike) held by atheists, and nothing more. Atheism says one thing and only one thing about someone: that they don't believe in any deities.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Ataraxia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +86/-1
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 03:34:13 AM »

I really don't understand what you are referring too (wrt transparency')?

I don't think it is an unreasonable question to ask what it is that you ACTUALLY believe (as opposed to not believe.)

I don't believe Unicorns existed is different to I believe in unicorns existed.
The first says almost nothing and the latter says something specific.

What I am trying to understand is the ACTUAL things that make up your belief system

It is frustrating to debate with people who simply say 'I don't believe in...' - so I am trying to understand what it is you believe in.

I've seen the ploy too many times where positive assertions are attributed to someone (I'm talking in general here and not about theism and atheism) in order to catch them out in some way so that they would be in a position to justify their assertions, when in reality, they actually hold a position of non belief. If you're not doing that, that's fine and I retract the veiled accusation.

Regardless of that, I hope I managed to make a generalised correction of the statements you made in order to ease your understanding. Now I'm not saying it's all universally applicable to all atheists, because they can apply to some theists and not to some atheists.

Personally, I don't look in introspection and make a list of the things I believe in to form a worldview. I could, and it's a conversation I could have, but I don't know what that would achieve. The view of the world I have changes with every passing moment, so I struggle to see what it is I'm supposed to try and pin down with regards to a worldview when the view I have isn't static, but in constant flux.
If you keep on living your life as though your purpose is to be saved and go to heaven, you are missing the heaven that you are living in right now.

Offline dennis

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +12/-16
  • WWGHA Challenger
    • My Intro
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 04:23:21 AM »
artaraxia

would you then say 'relativism' is part of your view, or maybe 'non_absolutism'?
---------

Offline Ataraxia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +86/-1
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 04:33:20 AM »
Dunno. Perhaps some of the time they are, and at other times not. If you want to try and attach a label, try AtaraxiaWiki.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 10:47:15 AM »

Whilst I responded to your comments, I don't particularly want to debate each element (yet) of the respective stories - I am trying to compile a list that will give me a framework for understanding the non-theistic view better.

Is there anything you want to add to the original list?

So far I have only received agreement/ explanation, but nothing new - and that is what I would like to learn more about.

I guess my point was that we have stories, not worldviews. And if we ignore the human propensity to rely on our stories rather than information that conflicts with our story, then we'll be stuck in the wrong ones more or less forever.

Your list is from your story. We don't have to agree with it. You are wanting to talk about our "worldview" by using your criteria. Each of us (including you) is an individual, and trying to discover important things by going all generic on our asses won't quite cut it.

Ask us how we think we see the world differently than a religious person does or something. Find out what array of "worldviews" we actually have. Diluting them to a few poorly worded assumptions accomplishes nothing.

For instance, I don't see the world as merely chance. Because of some that chance has gained structure, via evolution, via geologic processes, via cycles (weather, for instance) and hence some of our reality contains predictable features. If the world were merely chance, A walk in the woods here in the Rocky Mountains where I live might take me through pine trees then jungle trees then deserts then vast plains. But all we have here are the pine trees and species dependent upon pine forests to live. There is a structure to life, and it does effect some of the things that can and cannot happen. Nothing genetic, for instance, has beat the ability to be a**holes out of us humans, so we oft times structure out slaughter of others on well-worn excuses that are good enough for us. The nonchalant killing of Indians, blacks and various asians is easy for christian America because our non-random, non-chance social order allows us, via our stories, to justify blowing up schoolhouses full of children in Pakistan or to shoot black kids in Ferguson. There is little random about such things. So your "Life events are driven completely by chance" is completely inaccurate.

I'd suggest you rewrite your initial post rather than putting effort in to justifying your over-gereralizations.

Offline dennis

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +12/-16
  • WWGHA Challenger
    • My Intro
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 10:41:16 PM »
JeffPT
All i want to know is what is the prism of your perspective? What do you actually believe? I am not trying to force anyone toaccept my wording - I merely set those out as an example of the types of things thta could be said. Those are the types of statements i have concluded about atheism, but i am often told i am wrong and now i am asking you guys to tell me that is all.

i am experiencing on the forum that all i get is thecouter-punch criticim of every idea put fwd by me or a theist. so now i am asking tell me what the principles/features of atheism is...

sorry typos because on tablet
---------

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +411/-5
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 05:39:39 AM »
i am asking tell me what the principles/features of atheism is...

No belief in god or gods. 

That's it.

Above that, there is no atheist worldview.  So e of us may be communists or capitalists.  Some think there is free will, others that the universe is deterministic.  Some believe in aliens, some not.  Some may believe there is an objective reality, some not.

I sympathise because it is much easier to pigeonhole everyone into the same bracket - it's a human tendency, and one which many here (myself included) also to with believers - although to be fair, we have similar justification since the majority of believes talk of the One True God, so it is only fair to assume they all believe identical things.

Bottom line, my advice is that other than to accept my first line of this post, is not to pursue an overall model of atheism.  There isn't one, same as beyond "belief I a god or gods", there is no uniformity amongst those who believe.

Question for you to ponder.  Would you, as a believer, be content to be placed by us in the same category as a Catholic, a Mormom, a Muslim, a Hindu.....and believes in the gods of Norse, Egyptian, American Indian, and Roman times?  After all, you all share the same worldview, you're all believers.....right?

The answer to that question will hopefully help you understand why there is no "atheist worldview" over and above "no god or gods".
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +252/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 04:03:01 PM »
JeffPT
All i want to know is what is the prism of your perspective? What do you actually believe? I am not trying to force anyone toaccept my wording - I merely set those out as an example of the types of things thta could be said. Those are the types of statements i have concluded about atheism, but i am often told i am wrong and now i am asking you guys to tell me that is all.

i am experiencing on the forum that all i get is thecouter-punch criticim of every idea put fwd by me or a theist. so now i am asking tell me what the principles/features of atheism is...

sorry typos because on tablet
Each atheist is different, but I'll tell you where I stand on some things. 

I believe that the world functions completely naturally in every respect. 
I believe that all gods that have ever been invented by man (so far) are equally false.
I believe there is no such thing as free will, but admit that the illusion is strong. 
I believe there is no objective, cosmic meaning to life. 
I believe evil is an adjective, not a noun. 
I believe evolution accounts for the diversity of life on our planet, but I don't know how life started.   
I believe our planet has been around for billions of years, not thousands.
I believe the scientific method is by far the best way to determine what is true and not true.
I believe that after we die, we just cease to exist. 
I believe morality is completely subjective. 
I believe there are laws of nature and I don't know how they came to be. 
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline dennis

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +12/-16
  • WWGHA Challenger
    • My Intro
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 05:50:37 PM »
i am asking tell me what the principles/features of atheism is...

No belief in god or gods. 

That's it.

Above that, there is no atheist worldview.  So e of us may be communists or capitalists.  Some think there is free will, others that the universe is deterministic.  Some believe in aliens, some not.  Some may believe there is an objective reality, some not.

I sympathise because it is much easier to pigeonhole everyone into the same bracket - it's a human tendency, and one which many here (myself included) also to with believers - although to be fair, we have similar justification since the majority of believes talk of the One True God, so it is only fair to assume they all believe identical things.

Bottom line, my advice is that other than to accept my first line of this post, is not to pursue an overall model of atheism.  There isn't one, same as beyond "belief I a god or gods", there is no uniformity amongst those who believe.

Question for you to ponder. Would you, as a believer, be content to be placed by us in the same category as a Catholic, a Mormom, a Muslim, a Hindu.....and believes in the gods of Norse, Egyptian, American Indian, and Roman times?  After all, you all share the same worldview, you're all believers.....right?

The answer to that question will hopefully help you understand why there is no "atheist worldview" over and above "no god or gods".

We DO share the same worldview - obviously - only up to a point.

Like @JeffPT pointed out some are captialists and some are communists etc. etc. The same applies to theists, too. But there is not denying that a range of theistic religions have SOMETHING in common.

It is not about pigeonholing, it is honestly about trying to find the common ground.

I have just posted the 10 atheist commandments on the general forum - because I am seriously interested in understanding.

So it is not just ME that thinks there must be some commonly held beliefs that unite atheists beyond 'no belief in god', just like there IS something that unites theists in 'belief in god'.
---------

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 09:18:38 PM »
So it is not just ME that thinks there must be some commonly held beliefs that unite atheists beyond 'no belief in god', just like there IS something that unites theists in 'belief in god'.

Okay, you're right. There is the occasional forum.

No, we're not united. We don't have churches or anything. I do know that there are atheist groups in larger cities around the country, but they are not universal. I've known atheists that were right wing, communist, entrepreneurs, welfare recipients and yes, even men of the cloth. We have one thing in common, the fact that we do not believe that gods exist, and other than that, we all wing it, just like most other people do.

I would assume that most atheists accept the current understanding of various scientific disciplines. None of us pray. But those are not things that hold us together so much as byproducts of our singular agreement about the no-gods thingy.

You might as well be wondering if we all wear the same color socks or drive the same brand of automobile. You're searching for commonalities beyond that one specific conclusion we've reached. But there is nothing there. Carry on.

Offline dennis

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +12/-16
  • WWGHA Challenger
    • My Intro
« Reply #19 on: Today at 02:25:17 AM »
^^
@ParkingPlaces:
Is there a difference in your mind between"
(a) no belief in god
(b) belief in no god

?
---------

Online wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #20 on: Today at 06:13:07 AM »
Dennis,

It is more that, being no evidence for any gods, atheists live their lives without any belief. The existence of gods is possible, though, given the evidence, very unlikely, and so it is a braver person than me who would affirm that all gods are fiction. The fact is that the evidence for the sort of god that is worshipped most around the world the Christian and Jewish YHWH and the Muslim Allah is basically nonexistent so why believe in any of them?
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)