Author Topic: do you study apologetics?  (Read 572 times)

Offline gzusfreke

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +7/-38
  • "Are you casting asparagus on my cooking?"-Curly
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
do you study apologetics?
« on: December 22, 2013, 10:31:14 PM »
Years ago I found the forum and found how little I knew about what I thought I believed, so this led me to study apologetics.  I was curious to know how many theists on the forum have done any apologetics study, how long they have studied, and whose writings they study.

I enjoy William Lane Craig, Gary Habermas, and Michael Licona's writings, debates, and teachings, but also look to several relatively unknown apologists.

Peace and grace.
A dog barks when his master is attacked. I would be a coward if I saw that God's truth is attacked and yet would remain silent. - John Calvin

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
Re: do you study apologetics?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 05:34:15 AM »
Hi there gz!

No I haven't.  I am glad that you have found a way to explore. 

I have studied life.  I am SBNR, spiritual but not religious.

I am curious though.  Would you share the fundamentals with me?
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 09:07:06 AM »
wrong place, so sorry!
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline Black Dwarf

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 01:32:14 PM »
Years ago I found the forum and found how little I knew about what I thought I believed, so this led me to study apologetics.  I was curious to know how many theists on the forum have done any apologetics study, how long they have studied, and whose writings they study.

I enjoy William Lane Craig, Gary Habermas, and Michael Licona's writings, debates, and teachings, but also look to several relatively unknown apologists.

Peace and grace.
Hmm. No posts on this for >60 days? Pity.

Yes, I've read, listened to and watched lots of William Lane Craig stuff. I've found Daniel B. Wallace good on stuff about the reliability of the NT texts. I've also read a fair bit of Dawkins and some Hitchins stuff (not very good, really). I'm off to a Church of England day on apologetics in May, so I'm looking forward to that as part of my Reader development stuff. There is also an "Unbelievable?" conference in July that I am to go to, having gone to one in 2012 which was good.

The church scene in the UK is a real mixed bag, but one thing that both Christians and non-Christians tend to find useful is "Unbelievable?" on Premier Christian Radio where, usually, a Christian and non-Christian spend about 90 minutes on a Saturday afternoon discussing stuff. It is nearly always done very civilly and there are podcasts to download. See http://www.premier.org.uk/unbelievable For example the last two Saturdays have been Bart Ehrman and Simon Gathercole discussing the books "When Jesus became God" and the response book "When God became Jesus". Gathercole is from Tyndale House at Cambridge and Peter J. Williams from there is good too.

Offline Ataraxia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "I am large, I contain multitudes."
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 03:04:36 PM »

Peace and grace.

Yes, I've read, listened to and watched lots of William Lane Craig stuff. I've found Daniel B. Wallace good on stuff about the reliability of the NT texts. I've also read a fair bit of Dawkins and some Hitchins stuff (not very good, really). I'm off to a Church of England day on apologetics in May, so I'm looking forward to that as part of my Reader development stuff. There is also an "Unbelievable?" conference in July that I am to go to, having gone to one in 2012 which was good.

The church scene in the UK is a real mixed bag, but one thing that both Christians and non-Christians tend to find useful is "Unbelievable?" on Premier Christian Radio where, usually, a Christian and non-Christian spend about 90 minutes on a Saturday afternoon discussing stuff. It is nearly always done very civilly and there are podcasts to download. See http://www.premier.org.uk/unbelievable For example the last two Saturdays have been Bart Ehrman and Simon Gathercole discussing the books "When Jesus became God" and the response book "When God became Jesus". Gathercole is from Tyndale House at Cambridge and Peter J. Williams from there is good too.

I've listened to this, but only the two debates between David Robertson and Matt Dillahunty. While you could say it was a civil engagement, Robertson bombarded Matt with ad homs.
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

Offline Black Dwarf

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 07:32:08 AM »

Peace and grace.

I've listened to this, but only the two debates between David Robertson and Matt Dillahunty. While you could say it was a civil engagement, Robertson bombarded Matt with ad homs.
Hmm, that was a particularly lively discussion, shall we say. Nearly all others are more civilised than that. :)