Author Topic: 13-year-old girl declared brain-dead  (Read 350 times)

Offline shnozzola

13-year-old girl declared brain-dead
« on: December 21, 2013, 07:33:51 AM »
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/bioethicist-tragic-case-cant-change-reality-brain-death-2D11775879

A Northern California hospital has agreed to keep on life support a 13-year-old girl declared brain-dead after having surgery to remove her tonsils.

“This case is so sad it is almost beyond description,” wrote Arthur Caplan, head of the division of medical ethics at NYU Langone Medical Center in a blog he posted Thursday on the NBC News website. “But that fact should not be a reason to take the view that we don’t know what to do when someone is pronounced brain dead. Brain dead is dead.”

As tough as this is, it is a good measure of our society today.  Looking at it from the view of this website, a theist in the long run has no problem, knowing that this young girl can be in heaven.  An atheist doesn't have that choice.

But what about the choices involved here.    It involves everything from Obamacare to ethics to insurance money to the definition of death to the fact that science still does not understand a lot about the brain, especially the healing capacity of young bodies.

I say keep this young lady (I almost choke up as I type) alive for now and allow her parents to grieve, with a sliver of a chance that our understanding of medicine can always be surprised.  Not a miracle, just the possibilty of our amazing ability to heal and struggle for life.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 07:40:05 AM by shnozzola »
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +544/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: 13-year-old girl declared brain-dead
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 08:07:03 PM »

A Northern California hospital has agreed to keep on life support a 13-year-old girl declared brain-dead after having surgery to remove her tonsils

But what about the choices involved here. It involves everything from Obamacare
I’m not sure how this is so. What we have is a mistake. The healthcare system does not exist that does not have mistakes. You are usually warned before any surgery that there is a risk to all surgery and there is something obvious about that. I doubt there is one operation that has a 0% death-rate.

It seems to be to ethics
I am not sure ethics come into it. The young girl is dead. There are few ethics that are applicable to a dead body as far as medical care is concerned.
to insurance money
That is interesting. The hospital says they are keeping the girl on the machine for no valid reason. Who will pay? The hospital? It is their choice to do this. The insurance company? The insurance company seem to be being penalised for a non-medical reason.
to the definition of death
Brain death: that's the definition.
to the fact that science still does not understand a lot about the brain, especially the healing capacity of young bodies.
Brains do not heal. Once starved of oxygen for a few minutes, they are so much fat and no use to anyone. From the report, “Jahi had lost, irretrievably, all brain function.”

I say keep this young lady (I almost choke up as I type) alive for now and allow her parents to grieve,
Whereas I have some sympathy, if she is on the machine, “grieve” is not the correct word. Being on the machine gives the rhythmic rise and fall of the chest and maintains colour and texture to the skin: the “appearance” of being alive is strong. Can you imagine what the parents, hoping against hope must be thinking? They will be in denial. Once it is switched off, then they can grieve.
with a sliver of a chance that our understanding of medicine can always be surprised.
Not in this case.
Not a miracle, just the possibility of our amazing ability to heal and struggle for life.
It cannot be done. Sorry. It never will be done.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +544/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: 13-year-old girl declared brain-dead
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 05:28:17 PM »
Brain dead girl Jahi McMath released to coroner, mother: hospital

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/06/22197615-brain-dead-girl-jahi-mcmath-released-to-coroner-mother-hospital?lite

God did nothing... (See T-shirt)
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”