Author Topic: Woman chooses to humiliate attacker rather than prss charges  (Read 253 times)

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
Woman chooses to humiliate attacker rather than prss charges
« on: December 20, 2013, 09:47:53 PM »
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/woman-chooses-to-publicly-shame-man-who-beat-her-after-he-expressed-remorse-on-facebook/story-fnihsrk2-1226787976094

I don't understand this - if there is clear evidence available that a serious assault occurred, how is it up to the victim to decide what the punishment is? Can't police prosecute the guy independently, and if so why wouldn't they?
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
Re: Woman chooses to humiliate attacker rather than prss charges
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 12:09:19 AM »
Honestly, he would have gotten a lot worse in prison, if anything this woman was being kind to him.
According to Cpt. Obvious: Theists think they know God, Atheists require evidence.

---

Do not assume I was religious in any way, I have never been religious.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 03:34:55 AM »
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/woman-chooses-to-publicly-shame-man-who-beat-her-after-he-expressed-remorse-on-facebook/story-fnihsrk2-1226787976094

I don't understand this - if there is clear evidence available that a serious assault occurred, how is it up to the victim to decide what the punishment is? Can't police prosecute the guy independently, and if so why wouldn't they?

Women seeking justice for sexual assault face daunting obstacles; here's one example:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2013/12/10/whats-it-like-to-be-a-woman-victim-of-assault/

Please note I'm not saying the police who handled Ms. Hessler's case were as unprofessional as the ones in the incident I linked to. But there are a lot of reasons women may choose to not report, much less press charges, about being sexually assaulted. They might be afraid of further violence against them, of being stigmatized, of censure from others (even friends and family). They might even be ashamed.

And police, at least here in the US, often trivialize such crime. They and other law enforcement display a marked reluctance to follow such things up unless pressure is exerted. There's a well-established culture of victim-blaming with regards to violence against women.

All this may have some bearing on Ms. Hessler's particular case. The article doesn't go into detail.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 10:36:22 AM »
Women seeking justice for sexual assault face daunting obstacles; here's one example:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2013/12/10/whats-it-like-to-be-a-woman-victim-of-assault/

Please note I'm not saying the police who handled Ms. Hessler's case were as unprofessional as the ones in the incident I linked to. But there are a lot of reasons women may choose to not report, much less press charges, about being sexually assaulted. They might be afraid of further violence against them, of being stigmatized, of censure from others (even friends and family). They might even be ashamed.

And police, at least here in the US, often trivialize such crime. They and other law enforcement display a marked reluctance to follow such things up unless pressure is exerted. There's a well-established culture of victim-blaming with regards to violence against women.

All this may have some bearing on Ms. Hessler's particular case. The article doesn't go into detail.
I took a women's studies course when I was in college, and the sexual assault portion of the class made me feel some type of way. I am not in any way trying to trivialize or downplay this very serious topic. But believe me there are some gray areas that as a man are cause for concern. And I dont think, in a situation as serious as this one, that simply taking the word of one side is a fair method to bring any resolution. And the consequences of making a mistake can be monumental.

In the case of what the thread is about, I dont think there should be a choice involved. He needs to be arrested and prosecuted to the full extent of the law. As a father and older brother I dont see a way I could allow this guy to roam the earth without putting hands on him. Perhaps it is one of my character flaws.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 05:35:45 PM »

Fair comment.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.