Author Topic: Utah Supreme Court grows a pair  (Read 339 times)

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Utah Supreme Court grows a pair
« on: December 20, 2013, 06:55:50 PM »
I know, I know; I just posted a link about New Mexico joining the 21st century. But to a Californian who ground my teeth when Prop 8 passed (in no small part thanks to Mormon money), this is sweet, sweet karma:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/12/20/utah-same-sex-marriage-ban/4146907/

From the linked article:
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A federal judge has struck down Utah's same-sex marriage ban, saying it is unconstitutional.

U.S. District Judge Robert J. Shelby issued a 53-page ruling Friday saying Utah's law passed by voters in 2004 violates gay and lesbian couples' rights to due process and equal protection under the 14th Amendment.

Shelby says the state failed to show that allowing same-sex marriages would affect opposite-sex marriages in any way, and the state's unsupported fears and speculations are insufficient to justify deny allowing same-sex marriages.

I'm sure this isn't the end of it. The Mormon Church may even mobilize enough reactionaries to get it reversed or circumvented. And it doesn't magically end prejudice.

But it's still an increment of change for the better, in a bastion of homophobia. So good to see.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
Re: Utah Supreme Court grows a pair
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 07:06:13 PM »
Wright, are you equating courage with possessing testicles?
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-1
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 07:28:07 PM »
^^^(looks again at thread title, winces) No. My apologies if I caused any offense.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 07:32:26 PM »
No offence. I personally don't believe there is any connection between courage and genitalia, and I'd never have the balls to suggest it if I believed it.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 07:48:18 PM »
I wish to point out that Wright has given me a completely undeserved and unnecessary up-vote in this thread. I was just being silly - I'm in a silly mood this morning.

In my opinion there is nothing even remotely controversial, sexist or offensive in the thread title. "Grow a pair" is a common expression used to convey a meaning, and I doubt very much that anybody suspects that use of this phrase is indicative of any literal truth in the saying.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-1
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 08:48:06 PM »
magic, I understand you didn't take offense, and appreciate the clarification. Nonetheless, it was a sexist thing to say and I'm usually more careful about my language. I was just pleasantly surprised at the Utah Supreme Court's decision and indulging in a bit of schadenfreude, imagining all those Prop 8 chickens coming home to roost.
--Marcus Aurelius

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 08:52:01 PM »
Nonetheless, it was a sexist thing to say and I'm usually more careful about my language.

It's an expression; same with calling boats and cars "she". It's not sexist. IMO anyway.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 10:55:35 PM »
I'm sure this isn't the end of it. The Mormon Church may even mobilize enough reactionaries to get it reversed or circumvented. And it doesn't magically end prejudice.

Given how much effort the Mormons put into getting California voters to vote for Prop 8, this decision is not just ironic but savory.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline godzilla

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 07:56:21 PM »
Really excited about this. :)
Remember, this state voted more for Romney than any other state!

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 12:25:26 AM »
Utah, the state with the highest-producing unions in the country, now must content with unions that are likely to drag down their average significantly:

Table ST-F1-2000. Average Number of Children Per Family and Per Family With Children, by State: 2000 Census

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.