Author Topic: Divine Indifference and Moral Character (Humans vs. God)  (Read 8493 times)

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
Re: Divine Indifference and Moral Character (Humans vs. God)
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2013, 07:44:40 AM »
Are you familiar with martial arts?  How do students become better skilled?  By facing opponents.  Sometimes facing opponents stronger and better skilled than they are.

Satan and his minions can be used by God for good in someone's life if it brings that person into a better understanding of God and their relationship to Him and others.

And what is the ultimate purpose of martial arts?  To defeat those who would harm us.  If we would never meet anyone who would harm us, what would be the point of those arts?

Similarly, the "goal" of troubles in life, you say, is to better understand god and their relationship with him.  But what you are saying then is that the best possible way to get to know someone is by them arranging for bad things to happen to you.  Really?  You don't think that the best way to understand someone would be for them to sit down in person and talk to you and answer your questions?

When YOU want someone to understand YOU.....what methods do you use?

- - - - -

Incidentally, you mentioned free will.  Why do you regard it as so important to have?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline jtk73

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-1
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2013, 10:57:29 AM »
"Why would God save any?"

Save them from what? Oh yeah. His own arbitrarily selected rules, his anger management issues and his frequent habit or overreacting.

For being an all-powerful being/entity, Yahweh behaves very human. Spiteful, vindictive, jealous and egotistical. It almost seems like his behavior and manners were no more advanced than the culture that was writing about him. Odd that.

So tell me again why Yahweh is worthy of worship if he exists...?

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2013, 06:15:14 PM »
So, you - like all other xians he's asked - will never, ever answer the question of why a rapist/murderer gets free will by divine decree but the victim does not.
I apologize if that was not clear. Both parties have free will. The rapist murder has more power than the victim. In result in this case the murderer's will wins over the victim's will.
So then why pray if God has no power to help,,,and why praise such a weak creature?....But then again you ONLY praise a God who has the POWER to send you to Hell.

So God is no better than the Rapist
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline gzusfreke

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +7/-38
  • "Are you casting asparagus on my cooking?"-Curly
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2013, 06:53:06 PM »
But at the time of the choice, Adam was missing some critical information.  Knowledge of good and evil was supposedly not there until the forbidden fruit was actually eaten, so hypothetically neither Adam nor Eve would not know whether eating the fruit was good or bad, or whether disobedience was good or bad, or even what "good" and "bad" meant.  There's certainly nothing in Genesis 3 itself that suggests that Adam or Eve were warned about the potential effects on future generations, and IIRC the only Old Testament allusion to Original Sin is Psalm 51:5.

From a non-Christian point of view, at very least it appears that the Biblical god used questionable methods for teaching morality to his two brand-new humans.  The idea of "Do what I command, because to disobey is wrong" also seems a bit subjective.

"The Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to work it and keep it. And the Lord God commanded the man, saying,'You may surely eat of every tree of the garden, but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.'” (Genesis 2:15-17, ESV)

How much more information did Adam and Eve need?  They were given the choice of obeying or not obeying, and they were given the consequences of disobedience.  If you have ever raised any children of your own, how much information do you give a 2-year old in order to for them to begin making decisions for their own welfare?

A dog barks when his master is attacked. I would be a coward if I saw that God's truth is attacked and yet would remain silent. - John Calvin

Offline gzusfreke

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +7/-38
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2013, 06:56:51 PM »

Can you tell me your theory of how humans decide what is right and what is wrong?

As I said, that varies depending on the kind of moral reasoning used by the person in question.  Some people don't think much about it at all.

In case you're asking for my theory of how humans can come to logical decisions of moral judgment, then that's simpler.  We use our values are premises upon which logic yields judgments.  Even for those who don't think much about their morality, it's still their values that they're going to act on.

This is what actually happens.  It is also why gods tend to be forced into agreement with the believers who create them.

So in your reasoning, morality is relative?  My premise that by knocking someone over the head with a stick and taking their wallet will improve my life by adding money for food, clothing, and shelter to my wallet makes such an action a good moral choice for me even though others may disagree?
A dog barks when his master is attacked. I would be a coward if I saw that God's truth is attacked and yet would remain silent. - John Calvin

Offline gzusfreke

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +7/-38
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2013, 07:03:25 PM »
Are you familiar with martial arts?  How do students become better skilled?  By facing opponents.  Sometimes facing opponents stronger and better skilled than they are.

Satan and his minions can be used by God for good in someone's life if it brings that person into a better understanding of God and their relationship to Him and others.

And what is the ultimate purpose of martial arts?  To defeat those who would harm us.  If we would never meet anyone who would harm us, what would be the point of those arts?

Trials in life, decisions that we make, unforeseen circumstances - these are things that have the potential to harm us, especially if we make poor decisions during these times of testing.

Similarly, the "goal" of troubles in life, you say, is to better understand god and their relationship with him.  But what you are saying then is that the best possible way to get to know someone is by them arranging for bad things to happen to you.  Really?  You don't think that the best way to understand someone would be for them to sit down in person and talk to you and answer your questions?

What better way to find out what's really inside yourself than to get squeezed? Then, when you see what you are really made of, you can compare it to God's character. 

God did come down and answer questions.  He left a whole big book of answers.  Some people come to it with preconceived notions though and can't glean truth from it because of their prejudices.

- - - - -

Incidentally, you mentioned free will.  Why do you regard it as so important to have?

Refresh my memory, what did I say about free will?  Do you consider free will important?  If so, why?

Offline gzusfreke

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +7/-38
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2013, 07:05:31 PM »

Save them from what? Oh yeah. His own arbitrarily selected rules, his anger management issues and his frequent habit or overreacting.

For being an all-powerful being/entity, Yahweh behaves very human. Spiteful, vindictive, jealous and egotistical. It almost seems like his behavior and manners were no more advanced than the culture that was writing about him. Odd that.

If there is a God of the Bible and He did create the universe from nothing, do you believe that you have done something that would give you the intelligence and moral superiority to pass judgment on his decisions?  If so, please share.  Thanks.

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-11
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2013, 07:19:01 PM »

If there is a God of the Bible and He did create the universe from nothing, do you believe that you have done something that would give you the intelligence and moral superiority to pass judgment on his decisions?  If so, please share.  Thanks.

A child has more intelligence and moral superiority than Yahweh. A child is disgusted by the bible. I was.
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2013, 08:01:06 PM »
If you get a chance, can you direct me to a website that lists that many Christian denominations?  It would be fascinating to see it. Which denomination did you receive your instruction from?  Are you still involved with that denomination?

Gzusfreke,
  Here are a couple websites from a google search that list info on Christian denominations.
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations
              http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_Christian_denominations_are_there
              http://www.pewforum.org/files/2011/12/ChristianityAppendixB.pdf
              http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/a106.htm

I believe when people quote 40,000 plus, they are referring to folks such as a cousin of mine, who got a bit upset at his church's interpretation and went out and started his own. :)

edit: Sorry, forgot, I was raised anabaptist, Church of the Brethren.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 08:07:44 PM by shnozzola »
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2013, 10:42:06 PM »
But at the time of the choice, Adam was missing some critical information.  Knowledge of good and evil was supposedly not there until the forbidden fruit was actually eaten, so hypothetically neither Adam nor Eve would not know whether eating the fruit was good or bad, or whether disobedience was good or bad, or even what "good" and "bad" meant.  There's certainly nothing in Genesis 3 itself that suggests that Adam or Eve were warned about the potential effects on future generations, and IIRC the only Old Testament allusion to Original Sin is Psalm 51:5.

From a non-Christian point of view, at very least it appears that the Biblical god used questionable methods for teaching morality to his two brand-new humans.  The idea of "Do what I command, because to disobey is wrong" also seems a bit subjective.

"The Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to work it and keep it. And the Lord God commanded the man, saying,'You may surely eat of every tree of the garden, but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.'” (Genesis 2:15-17, ESV)

How much more information did Adam and Eve need?  They were given the choice of obeying or not obeying, and they were given the consequences of disobedience.  If you have ever raised any children of your own, how much information do you give a 2-year old in order to for them to begin making decisions for their own welfare?

A two-year old would not know what you mean by "die" "good" or "evil."  Adam and Eve were the equivalent of 2-year olds at that point.  Well, actually, to be more accurate, they were more like dogs.  Animals do not have the knowledge of good or evil (they are incapable of being either--they are amoral) and most don't (as far as we know) have a sense of mortality.  So Adam and Eve were truly incapable of understanding what the heck God was talking about.

Plus, only Adam was given those instructions.  You notice, Eve wasn't around at that point.  God never told HER to not eat from the tree.  Presumably Adam told her?  Well, you know how THAT must have gone over.  Why the heck would or should Eve listen to him? 

So the biblical God was teaching morality lessons to beings that were amoral at the time.  Like teaching a cat to feel bad about eating a mouse or scratching a child.  A lesson that simply would not compute.

I actually think the Eden story is a quite interesting parable/folktale to explain the difference between human beings and animals when it comes to moral beliefs/knowledge but it IS just a folk tale after all...

Offline gzusfreke

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +7/-38
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2013, 11:00:44 PM »

A two-year old would not know what you mean by "die" "good" or "evil."  Adam and Eve were the equivalent of 2-year olds at that point.  Well, actually, to be more accurate, they were more like dogs.  Animals do not have the knowledge of good or evil (they are incapable of being either--they are amoral) and most don't (as far as we know) have a sense of mortality.  So Adam and Eve were truly incapable of understanding what the heck God was talking about.

Plus, only Adam was given those instructions.  You notice, Eve wasn't around at that point.  God never told HER to not eat from the tree.  Presumably Adam told her?  Well, you know how THAT must have gone over.  Why the heck would or should Eve listen to him? 

So the biblical God was teaching morality lessons to beings that were amoral at the time.  Like teaching a cat to feel bad about eating a mouse or scratching a child.  A lesson that simply would not compute.

I actually think the Eden story is a quite interesting parable/folktale to explain the difference between human beings and animals when it comes to moral beliefs/knowledge but it IS just a folk tale after all...

According to the account in Genesis, Adam had enough intelligence to name all of the animals and realize that bestiality was not an option.  He also knew how to tend to and work in the garden before Eve was created.  Then, when God did form her, he had enough intelligence to know that she was made for him and his expression was "Whoa Man!!!" and you know the rest of the story.

But if you only think it is a folk talk, then we really don't have a lot more territory to cover. 

How about you explain your beliefs of how human beings came into existence and then let's talk about folk tales.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2013, 11:02:33 PM »

Can you tell me your theory of how humans decide what is right and what is wrong?

As I said, that varies depending on the kind of moral reasoning used by the person in question.  Some people don't think much about it at all.

In case you're asking for my theory of how humans can come to logical decisions of moral judgment, then that's simpler.  We use our values are premises upon which logic yields judgments.  Even for those who don't think much about their morality, it's still their values that they're going to act on.

This is what actually happens.  It is also why gods tend to be forced into agreement with the believers who create them.

So in your reasoning, morality is relative?  My premise that by knocking someone over the head with a stick and taking their wallet will improve my life by adding money for food, clothing, and shelter to my wallet makes such an action a good moral choice for me even though others may disagree?
People who pretend to have moral authority do this all the time,the stick they use is a law allowing them to steal your money without the use of the stick. They just tell you,you have to pay or go to jail. It's much like your God except jail is hell in this regard. You are confusing power with love,without the threat of hell,what has this God character got?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 11:09:09 PM by 12 Monkeys »
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline gzusfreke

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +7/-38
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2013, 11:05:55 PM »
People who pretend to have moral authority do this all the time,the stick they use is a law allowing them to steal your money without the use of the stick. They just tell you,you have to pay or go to jail. It's much like your God except jail is hell in this regard. You are confusing power with love,without the threat pf hell,what has this God character got?

Troll

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2013, 11:06:40 PM »

According to the account in Genesis, Adam had enough intelligence to name all of the animals and realize that bestiality was not an option.  He also knew how to tend to and work in the garden before Eve was created.  Then, when God did form her, he had enough intelligence to know that she was made for him and his expression was "Whoa Man!!!" and you know the rest of the story.

But if you only think it is a folk talk, then we really don't have a lot more territory to cover. 

How about you explain your beliefs of how human beings came into existence and then let's talk about folk tales.
We were discovered by the Raven,hiding in a giant clam shell on Naikoon beach,the only difference is YOU actually BELIEVE your story to be true,while calling all other stories Myth,sad really.

Offline gzusfreke

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +7/-38
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2013, 11:10:46 PM »
We were discovered by the Raven,hiding in a giant clam shell on Naikoon beach,the only difference id YOU actually BELIEVE your story to be true,while calling all other stories Myth,sad really.

Like I said, "Troll." Have you consider changing your name to "Troll Monkey"? ;D

Seriously though, what is the story that you believe? Do you have one? If not, then just say that you don't know. Or are you just here for the clams and derogatory remarks.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2013, 11:16:03 PM »
We were discovered by the Raven,hiding in a giant clam shell on Naikoon beach,the only difference id YOU actually BELIEVE your story to be true,while calling all other stories Myth,sad really.

Like I said, "Troll." Have you consider changing your name to "Troll Monkey"? ;D

Seriously though, what is the story that you believe? Do you have one? If not, then just say that you don't know. Or are you just here for the clams and derogatory remarks.
If you would actually read it,I said YOU actually believe your "story" to be true,my creation story,LIKE yours is MYTH.  There is NO truth to either story,I am just smart enough to realize it.

Evolution is becoming harder and harder for theists to dismiss,as more and more is uncovered. Soon enough theists will have nowhere to hide,from the true origins of humanity

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 11:37:26 PM by 12 Monkeys »

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2013, 11:20:29 PM »
BTW nothing better than a hit-and-run theist who posts a couple of days every few months calling a regular on these boards a troll

Offline gzusfreke

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +7/-38
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2013, 11:28:44 PM »
BTW nothing better than a hit-and-run theist who posts a couple of days every few months calling a regular on these boards a troll

If all you do is send out inflammatory remarks with the hope of inciting other inflammatory remarks, then you are a troll.

You ridicule the creation story yet you have no intelligent explanation for how humankind came into existence.   :(

Peace and grace 12 Monkeys.  I would like to have an intelligent, rational conversation with you, but if all you are going to do is troll, then please don't be offended if I sometimes ignore your remarks.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2013, 11:36:39 PM »
 When I dismiss it as a myth,that is hardly ridicule,my statement above covers what I think of humanity and the universe. Did you not read my comment?

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2013, 03:07:56 AM »

What better way to find out what's really inside yourself than to get squeezed? Then, when you see what you are really made of, you can compare it to God's character. 

God did come down and answer questions.  He left a whole big book of answers.  Some people come to it with preconceived notions though and can't glean truth from it because of their prejudices.

Maybe you missed the direct question I asked there.  I'll repeat it for you.

Very glad you mentioned the Bible.  So....your point is that every person should read the Bible and get the exact same understanding of Yahweh's character?  Except that doesn't happen, as you point out......hmmm, I wonder why such an intelligent being would choose as a method of communication one that is clearly not well suited to getting his message across.....

- - - - -

Refresh my memory, what did I say about free will?  Do you consider free will important?  If so, why?

Apologies, I thought you mentioned free will as being necessary for us to be able to choose, as opposed to just following god by default.  If you don't regard free will as a vital part of your theology then we can forget about it.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2013, 04:03:28 AM »

Based on current knowledge, I got natural selection, random chance and chemistry.  Nothing supernatural.

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +98/-2
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2013, 07:25:37 AM »

I know the word "myth" is thrown around quite freely today and is implied to mean false story.  But I like the original meaning which meant a story to explain the unexplainable. 

I am curious if Genesis should be interpreted literally.  If so, why? 

Ever curious,

OldChurchGuy
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2013, 12:50:38 PM »

First off, I would give an actual, accurate consequence (based on their ability to understand).  Your god, however, lies by saying they would die.  And don't bother with the "but he meant spiritual death" crap, because it's exactly that.  He said "you will surely die."  He did not say "you will surely die a spiritual death."  die = die.

Second...if god was so irked that they ate the fruit that he put an angel to guard the tree of life after they ate, why didn't he GUARD THE TREE OF KNOWLEDGE BEFORE THEY ATE FROM IT?!?!?  Would have saved a lot of time, effort, and heartache.

honestly, the diety you follow is a real jerk.
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +40/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2013, 01:49:05 PM »
Parking Places...

I would say that if you think that you have no free will in the case of the sniper, you and I are at a pass.  While your free will in the situation is small it is certainly not non existent. Think of power theory like a limit. As the power of someone who is trying to harm you increases over yours, the effectiveness of your will approaches 0. It does not in fact reach 0. THe only way it could reach 0 is if that persons power was absolute, like an all powerful god. But please explain a moral way on which God could balance power through the 7 billion people on this planet....

This must be the most ridiculous, backwoods, upside-down, and irrational way to say shit happens I have ever heard. Is this "power theory" a real thing/theory or is it a deep arse pull?
So basically if you take away the silly power meter numbers in this example all you are saying is that if you don’t figure out there is a sniper before he shoots you, you are as good as shot. So instead we have a free will meter assigned that is based on your power in life/will. Thus whoever is more powerful wins...

Please stop watching Dragon Ball Z 

Offline G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +40/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2013, 01:57:03 PM »

You mean sparring? Practicing techniques in a controlled environment to ensure no one gets hurt. Or perhaps when a promoter and your coach (sensei or whatever) decide to give you a challenging title shot? Again in a controlled environment. 
As opposed to a spiritual fight to the death with the loser being dropped into the pits of hell to be tortured forever.

Are you familiar with martial arts? No really what do you practice/ used to practice!? (off topic I know)

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +512/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2013, 02:19:03 PM »
The same two problems keep in appearing in the Forum.  I see a constant assumption that people are capable of being "innocent," but if they aren't innocent, then God is evil for setting people up where they can't be innocent. Therefore, those with this view seem satisfied that they have all the information that they need in order to assert their moral superiority to God.

It is appalling to think that God did not make them innocent or perfect, so He must be evil, because no one wants to be less than perfect, right?
No. It is your defence that is wrong. God creates evil and looses it upon his children. God created Satan, God created the Serpent in the Garden, and God clearly states:

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Amos 3:6 Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?

Exodus 4:11 And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?

Jer:18:11 Now therefore go to, speak to the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, saying, Thus saith the LORD; Behold, I frame evil against you, and devise a device against you: return ye now every one from his evil way, and make your ways and your doings good.

The modern fluff-bunny Christian, the Christian who picks and chooses which parts of the Bible he most agrees with, the Christian who creates a god provided by selected verses, the so-called Christian like you, usually ignores these very clear statements.

Today, it is not popular to obey God, but, instead, to obey a god you personally create. That is how it is possible to have a "personal relationship" with Yahweh or The Trinity as you now have no choice but to call your alleged, monotheistic deity.

As a matter of fact and Biblical evidence, Yahweh has an evil aspect to him - just in case the Christian misses that when he reads the Bible, Yahweh tells us in the clearest way and, as He is immensely intelligent, He ensures that His Message is absolutely understandable, even for us mere mortals.

If you deny it, put simply, it is not a matter of discussion, it is a fact and you are wrong. Well, either that or you have chosen your own hand-crafted god. If you have done that, your god can have any attributes you require him to have.

But please, do not tell us that Yahweh has not an easily-discernible, evil aspect to Him.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 04:41:18 PM by Graybeard »
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2013, 02:29:32 PM »
cog the word myth is used by Christians as a dismissive way to describe all other religions  creation stories'. Why do you think that fails to apply to the Bible?

Offline jtk73

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-1
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2013, 02:34:35 PM »
If you have ever raised any children of your own, how much information do you give a 2-year old in order to for them to begin making decisions for their own welfare?

Well...for starters I wouldn't put a tree with fruit anywhere NEAR them if I didn't want them to eat the fruit.

God did come down and answer questions.  He left a whole big book of answers.

So which is it? Did he come down and answer questions or did he leave a whole book of answers. There is a huge difference. Why won't he 'come down' and answer questions today? Can't be bothered?

Also, I noticed something in this sentence...
He left a whole big book of answers.
He left a whole big book of.
He left a whole big book.
He left a whole big.
He left a whole.
He left a.
He left.

Even on my worst days, I am far more intelligent than and extra-morally superior to the slacker as described in the bible and by his fanboys. How can you read the bible and not see Yahweh as a complete imbecile?

Even IF, I wasn't qualified to pass judgement on his decisions, I can still see that he behaves and reacts worse than most humans. So, I will ask again, Why is Yahweh worthy of worship?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 02:36:42 PM by jtk73 »

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +48/-20
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2013, 02:51:19 PM »

"So the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and he slept; then He took one of his ribs and closed up the flesh at that place. The Lord God fashioned into a woman the rib which He had taken from the man, and brought her to the man." -Genesis 2:21-22(NASB)

Why do men have nipples?  :o

There are three popular ways to look at the Book of Genesis:

1) Genesis contains ancient mythical stories that were created by ancient people in order to attempt to answer many good questions about why things are the way they are.

2) Genesis is comprised entirely of absolutely true events.

3) Many of the stories in Genesis are allegorical lessons that have been given to us by the all-knowing, all-loving, all-powerful, and all-present Creator of the Universe Himself.

Number 1) is by far the most probable of the 3 explanations.

It's crazy that I am even attempting to explain something that shouldn't need explaining. Even crazier, the most probable outcome of my attempt to explain is that you will not agree with me that number 1) is the most probable of the 3.
Enough with your bullshit.
. . . Mr. Friday . . . that post really is golden.