Author Topic: Apparently Angels Exist  (Read 462 times)

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +59/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Apparently Angels Exist
« on: December 20, 2013, 01:18:50 PM »
Not only does this lad know angels exist, he also knows their aerodynamic properties;

http://news.sky.com/story/1185507/angels-exist-but-have-no-wings-says-church
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 01:22:15 PM by Ron Jeremy »
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
Re: Apparently Angels Exist
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 01:36:38 PM »
Not only does this lad know angels exist, he also knows their aerodynamic properties;

http://news.sky.com/story/1185507/angels-exist-but-have-no-wings-says-church

Angels really do exist but do not have wings and are more like shards of light, according to a church official.

Catholic Church "angelologist" Father Renzo Lavatori says the celestial beings are back in vogue thanks to various New Age religions.

But he insists that the traditional portrayal of angels as hovering, winged cherubs rather misses the mark.

"I think there is a re-discovery of angels in Christianity," Father Lavatori said at a conference on angels at a lavishly-frescoed Renaissance palace in Rome.

"You do not see angels so much as feel their presence - they are a bit like sunlight that refracts on you through a crystal vase," he added.

The senior clergyman was taking part in a debate this week on angelic art by the Fondazione Archivio Storico, an Italian art foundation.

It was held at the Vatican-owned Palazzo della Cancelleria.

Art historian Professor Valerio Massimo Manfredi said the first mention of the word "angelos" came from the Mycenaean civilisation in Greece more than 3,000 years ago.

The word means "messenger" in ancient Greek.

Monsignor Giovanni Tonucci, head of the Loreto Marian sanctuary, said that angels were "pure souls".
Their lack of a defined form had allowed artists through the ages to let their creative imagination run wild.

"Following the cultural history of angels is following the history of humanity, or at least of our civilisation," the conference organisers said.

"Angels have helped drive religious and philosophical thought and have given birth to sublime forms of poetic and artistic expression," they said.

Father Lavatori said the popularised image of angels is a necessary result of their being "back in fashion" but is dismissive of all the angel art around Christmas.

"There is space for that, but you have to understand that these are not real representations. Angels do not have wings or look like cherubs," he said.

The widely-published Catholic clergyman is also a "demonologist" and says angels are more needed than ever.

This is because increasing secularisation and materialism in society have left an "open door" for the devil, he said.

"There is a lot more interference from diabolical forces. That is why you see queues of people outside the exorcists' offices in churches," he said.

"Pope Francis talks more about the devil than about angels and I think rightly so. But it's still early, he will get round to the angels too."

I marked in red statements that I would like to see supported by evidence, or dismissed as speculative nonsense.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +355/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 01:44:02 PM »
Catholic Church "angelologist" Father Renzo Lavatori
How does one go about establishing their qualifications for this job?  Submit a portfolio of fantasy short stories?

Can I get the title of being a jediologist?

How is it not abundantly clear to the Catholic laity that someone like Fr. Lavatori is just making sh*t up?[1]
 1. My guess - they do realize it, and just don't care.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 02:30:59 PM »
I grew up with the idea of angels being winged humans.  Now they're just bits of sunlights?  I'm pissed.   >:(

After 4,000 years, you'd think their appearances would be well-established.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 03:41:24 PM »
I grew up with the idea of angels being winged humans.  Now they're just bits of sunlights?  I'm pissed.   >:(

After 4,000 years, you'd think their appearances would be well-established.

Aren't they thoroughly described in Ezekiel and Revelations?
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Online Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +49/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 03:55:39 PM »
If I remember my Bible trivia correctly (insert pun here), nowhere in scripture are angles said to have wings. 
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 10:44:54 PM »
Sometimes I feel like weeping for humanity.  What a load of crap.

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 12:20:55 PM »
If I remember my Bible trivia correctly (insert pun here), nowhere in scripture are angles said to have wings.

The lost scriptures define the "bell-ringing ritual" that grants them.  Let's all help George Bailey!!
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +654/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 12:51:55 PM »

ezekiel 1:5-14
In appearance their form was human, 6 but each of them had four faces and four wings. 7 Their legs were straight; their feet were like those of a calf and gleamed like burnished bronze. 8 Under their wings on their four sides they had human hands. All four of them had faces and wings, 9 and the wings of one touched the wings of another. Each one went straight ahead; they did not turn as they moved.

10 Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a human being, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle. 11 Such were their faces. They each had two wings spreading out upward, each wing touching that of the creature on either side; and each had two other wings covering its body. 12 Each one went straight ahead. Wherever the spirit would go, they would go, without turning as they went. 13 The appearance of the living creatures was like burning coals of fire or like torches. Fire moved back and forth among the creatures; it was bright, and lightning flashed out of it. 14 The creatures sped back and forth like flashes of lightning.

bold mine
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 04:00:24 PM »
Screwtape, if you read what he wrote he said, "angles" not "angels". And, angles don't have wings unless they're fucked up angles.

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Online Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +49/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 05:06:17 PM »
Screwtape, if you read what he wrote he said, "angles" not "angels". And, angles don't have wings unless they're fucked up angles.

Ha! Caught me  :police:  Technically, the Ezekiel reference doesn't specifically say they were angels
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz