Author Topic: Money...no way if it is dirty filthy ATHEIST money  (Read 529 times)

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
Money...no way if it is dirty filthy ATHEIST money
« on: December 20, 2013, 10:41:19 AM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-morton-grove-library-trustees-vote-to-reject-athiest-bloggers-donation-20131219,0,3784864.story
After a fiery debate that pitted Morton Grove library trustees against one another, the board voted 5-2 on Thursday not to accept a donation of about $3,000 from an atheist blogger.

The money is part of a controversy that has embroiled the Morton Grove Park District, the blogger and most recently the community's public library.

Hemant Mehta, a Naperville teacher who writes a blog called the Friendly Atheist, launched a fundraising campaign after a local veterans group, American Legion Post 134, pulled funding and volunteer resources from the Park District because of a park board member's refusal to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance.

Reached by phone Thursday, Mehta said he was surprised.

"I'm in shock right now," he said. "I figured at least the library would take it."

Library Board Treasurer Catherine Peters said she stopped library staff from depositing the check this month, calling it a matter that should be voted on by the board.

Board President Mark Albers, who voted to accept the donation, said he had no idea whether the money was from Mehta's fundraising campaign or Mehta himself.

But many board members were more alarmed by the nature of Mehta's blog and the ethical implications posed by accepting money from him.

Peters referred to the blog as a "hate group."
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr Peters, I think you mean "hated" group, don't you?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 12:19:59 PM by Hatter23 »
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +70/-8
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
Re: Money...no way if it is dirty filthy ATHEIST money
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 11:00:23 AM »
$10 says the morons that called the blog a "hate group" has never bothered to actually read any of it. Not to mention doesn't know the definition of either "hate" or "group".
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +690/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 11:15:20 AM »
Well, the smaller you make your world, the harder it is to find a way to fit $3,000 into it.

Of course, this means that we must be a hate group too. Should we be collecting dues?
Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +237/-1
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 11:22:03 AM »
I comment occasionally on Friendly Atheist.  It regularly gets very rowdy in the comments, but Mr. Mehta himself is light years away from any definition of "hateful" that I'm aware of.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 11:34:59 AM »
^^^Same here. Sounds like Christian privilege and hypersensitivity is well at work in Morton Grove.

Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 11:43:07 AM »
But many board members were more alarmed by the nature of Mehta's blog and the ethical implications posed by accepting money from him.

So what exactly do they consider "hateful" about it?  Seems like the article should've given an example of this.

Of course, I have a feeling the reaction was atheist = hateful.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 12:22:05 PM »

So what exactly do they consider "hateful" about it?  Seems like the article should've given an example of this.

Of course, I have a feeling the reaction was atheist = hateful.
I know that I have gotten guff for having this opinion here before...but..atheist = "I think it(your religion) is a bunch of baloney" therefore; hateful.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »
I know that I have gotten guff for having this opinion here before...but..atheist = "I think it(your religion) is a bunch of baloney" therefore; hateful.

Even etymologically, that makes no sense. A+theos=Without+god. In modern terms, "I'm an atheist"="I don't believe in any gods".
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 01:27:30 PM »

Even etymologically, that makes no sense. A+theos=Without+god. In modern terms, "I'm an atheist"="I don't believe in any gods".

So if someone, "T, "constantly makes an assertion, to the point they join a group devoted to said assertion..and you believe that assertion is false....That doesn't make you think "T" is full of baloney as far as said assertion? THAT makes no sense.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 01:31:07 PM »
So if someone, "T, "constantly makes an assertion, to the point they join a group devoted to said assertion..and you believe that assertion is false....That doesn't make you think "T" is full of baloney as far as said assertion? THAT makes no sense.

Ever heard of atheistic Buddhism? All the elements of a religion, sans the deities. These people don't think religion is full of BS, or they wouldn't use its methods (again, minus the deities).
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 01:42:29 PM »

Ever heard of atheistic Buddhism? All the elements of a religion, sans the deities. These people don't think religion is full of BS, or they wouldn't use its methods (again, minus the deities).

Yeah, and of theists I encounted, what does that account for 10%? 1%? 0.1%? In actuality, less. So that's just semantics.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 01:45:54 PM »
Yeah, and of theists I encounted, what does that account for 10%? 1%? 0.1%? In actuality, less. So that's just semantics.

I don't get most of this.
As for being "semantics", what else would it be about? You proposed a definition. I countered it with the actual definition. Now you're claiming it's "just semantics". Makes me think you know you're wrong.
We choose our own gods.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +320/-6
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 01:49:42 PM »
Makes me think you know you're wrong.

If this were changed to:

I know that I have gotten guff for having this opinion here before...but..atheist = "I think it(your belief that god exists) is a bunch of baloney" therefore; hateful.

I think you would both find yourselves in agreement without any change to the point of Hatter23's post.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 01:55:41 PM »
If this were changed to:

I know that I have gotten guff for having this opinion here before...but..atheist = "I think it(your belief that god exists) is a bunch of baloney" therefore; hateful.

I think you would both find yourselves in agreement without any change to the point of Hatter23's post.

I'm going to go with "no".
I think most atheists who've fallen in love with theists will agree that their beliefs are not "a bunch of baloney". Now, if you were to say that "Atheism"="I think your beliefs regarding the existence of deities are false", then we'd have an agreement.
We choose our own gods.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +320/-6
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 02:27:22 PM »
I'm going to go with "no".
I think most atheists who've fallen in love with theists will agree that their beliefs are not "a bunch of baloney". Now, if you were to say that "Atheism"="I think your beliefs regarding the existence of deities are false", then we'd have an agreement.
Ah - it's the connotation behind the word 'baloney' that's the issue.  I think that does make it a semantic issue, no?  I took Hatter23 to mean baloney = false.  Perhaps you don't see it that way, and perhaps Hatter23 meant it beyond that as well.

Carry on.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 02:31:31 PM »
Ah - it's the connotation behind the word 'baloney' that's the issue.

Indeed. I thought there was no need to point it out, but apparently I was wrong.

I think that does make it a semantic issue, no?

Where have I said otherwise? This whole issue rests on semantics, since it involves definitions.

I took Hatter23 to mean baloney = false.

I took it beyond that.

Perhaps you don't see it that way,

Obviously.

and perhaps Hatter23 meant it beyond that as well.

That would be my guess, since "false" doesn't have the so-called "aggressive" connotation(s) that "baloney" has.
We choose our own gods.

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 03:26:40 PM »
"I don't agree with your belief" != "I think you're full of baloney".

For example, I don't think you're full of baloney for having this attitude.  I just think you've got it wrong, and I am politely disagreeing with you as a result.

By the way, I checked four online dictionaries, and they all defined baloney as being some form of nonsense - not merely that something was false.  So, sure, some atheists might think religious beliefs are nonsense, and therefore baloney, but other atheists may simply think religious beliefs are false.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 03:33:40 PM »
I took Hatter23 to mean baloney = false.  Perhaps you don't see it that way, and perhaps Hatter23 meant it beyond that as well.

Carry on.

'False...perhaps even a touch foolish' is how I view they term; 'Baloney.' Yes, it is aggressive....but barely so. A soft, soft, soft, family freindly version of 'bullshit.' When "Your old man is full of beans and so are you" is too far and "I don't agree" isn't far enough.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 03:40:13 PM »
"I don't agree with your belief" != "I think you're full of baloney".

For example, I don't think you're full of baloney for having this attitude.  I just think you've got it wrong, and I am politely disagreeing with you as a result.

By the way, I checked four online dictionaries, and they all defined baloney as being some form of nonsense - not merely that something was false.  So, sure, some atheists might think religious beliefs are nonsense, and therefore baloney, but other atheists may simply think religious beliefs are false.

Well yes I did mean "nonsense" but if you thought about your lack of belief to the point of taking on the moniker of atheist, wouldn't that really mean that you think the belief in a  interventionist deity that could heal amputee, but won't when modern people are watching, as nonsensical?

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 04:12:10 PM »
I think my friend Aiden's belief in chemtrail conspiracy theories is "baloney".  This does not entail any sort of hatred on my part.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 05:00:03 PM »
I wish to go on record as saying that I will gladly accept a $3000 donation from any atheist.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2013, 03:54:12 AM »
^^^Duly noted, magic. I'm a little short just now, though  :'(.

Mehta has a followup. That *thud* is the sound of my jaw hitting my keyboard...
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/12/20/theres-video-of-the-morton-grove-public-library-board-of-trustees-calling-this-site-a-hate-group/

The ignorance and insularity displayed by these people is astounding.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2013, 11:43:23 AM »
Mehta has a followup. That *thud* is the sound of my jaw hitting my keyboard...
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/12/20/theres-video-of-the-morton-grove-public-library-board-of-trustees-calling-this-site-a-hate-group/

The ignorance and insularity displayed by these people is astounding.

Just reading the text makes my head hurts.  By that, I mean I keep slapping my hand against my forehead.  I don't dare watch the video, I fear I might dislodge my brain by doing so.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.