Author Topic: Bad Kitty Christmas  (Read 106 times)

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +369/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Bad Kitty Christmas
« on: December 19, 2013, 11:01:24 PM »

My 7 year old just brought this book home from a book fair, and I found it absolutely delightful.

Any secular families who have incorporated Christmas traditions into their lifestyles (a la Tim Minchin) will find this book fun, funny and surprisingly interesting. 

It is an odd little book.  Like so many stories before it, most of this book is set to the meter and rhyme of "The Night Before Christmas."  It starts out feeling trite.  But then it really builds into a story about value systems that most secular families would be proud to embrace.  The description says that it is for 4-8 year olds, but it is at a third grade reading level.  My 7 year old found at least a dozen new vocabulary words worked into the playful prose. You see, it is a sort of alphabet book, repeating alliterations in alphabetical order.  And there are a lot of words in there that kids in the 4-8 age range don't usually find in their literature, such as ousted, and vexed, and Quetzal and kin. 

Christians be Warned! is the headline in several of the negative reviews.  The parts they seem to find most offensive are the lines:

"Like Hanukkah, Kwanzaa,
And Eid, you see,
Christmas is all about....
FAMILY."

They were also really concerned about the fact that the little old lady, who decorated her Christmas tree with black and white photos of her extended family, described one of the many photos this way:

"Here's my Mother Marge
with her lovely Niece Nan
With her Offspring Oscar
and her Partner Pam."

It is not a new book.  It has been out a few years.  But it is new to me.  And I thought I would share my thoughts here.     

http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Kitty-Christmas-Nick-Bruel/dp/1596436689

Online Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
Re: Bad Kitty Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 11:18:06 PM »
Sounds wonderful!
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +167/-71
Re: Bad Kitty Christmas
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 11:35:18 PM »

"Here's my Mother Marge
with her lovely Niece Nan
With her Offspring Oscar
and her Partner Pam."

I'm not sure from reading this if Pam is Marge's partner or Nan's partner.

http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Kitty-Christmas-Nick-Bruel/dp/1596436689
[/quote]
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.