Author Topic: Why there is No such thing as a good atheist  (Read 6577 times)

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
Re: Why there is No such thing as a good atheist
« Reply #232 on: March 05, 2014, 04:06:37 AM »
If morality is just a product of the times, then you are forced to admit that rape used to be fine, but now it's not. To condemn the people of the past is to judge them by using today's morality and that simply doesn't seem fair. Why not judge them on the old morality? It was perfectly fine.

Quite right.  It was absolutely moral and right to stone disobedient children to death.  Now it isn't.  That's an example of how Yahweh's morality is objective and unchanging.....wait, what?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-435
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #233 on: March 06, 2014, 12:57:01 PM »
If morality is just a product of the times, then you are forced to admit that rape used to be fine, but now it's not. To condemn the people of the past is to judge them by using today's morality and that simply doesn't seem fair. Why not judge them on the old morality? It was perfectly fine.

Quite right.  It was absolutely moral and right to stone disobedient children to death.  Now it isn't.  That's an example of how Yahweh's morality is objective and unchanging.....wait, what?

So you do not think it is fair to judge older cultures morals on today's morals?
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-31
« Reply #234 on: March 06, 2014, 01:01:51 PM »
Depends, what is the goal of the judgment?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +771/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #235 on: March 06, 2014, 07:58:55 PM »
With homosexuals, we are dealing with consenting adults.  Children are neither consenting, nor adults.  Likewise, rape, by definition, does not involve consent.  That is the difference.

Are you suggesting that they can just ignore their natural urges and NOT engage in pedophilia? Ironically, that's how we feel about homosexuality.

I found out years later that three sisters I played with was a child were molested and raped almost daily by their stepfather for almost ten years. Does that mean he was gay?
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #236 on: March 07, 2014, 05:04:55 AM »

So you do not think it is fair to judge older cultures morals on today's morals?

No, I don't.  I personally feel we have a better morality today, so I can look back and say "their morality was wrong".  But, if I could use a time-machine to extract one to today, I would not subject him to trial or punishment for following the morality of the time.  But that's all a red herring, as I'm sure you know. 

"It was absolutely moral and right to stone disobedient children to death.  Now it isn't."

Do you agree with that statement?  Or do you disagree?

If you agree with that statement, then you agree that what is moral is subject to change.  Which means that your god has no fixed and objective morality.

If you disagree with that statement, then you agree that at some point - either then, or now - we are doing things wrong.  Either it is wrong to stone children, and your god spent centuries looking on in horror while people did it in his name - or it is right to stone children, and your god is looking on in disgust as we fail to cast a single stone.

Which is it skeptic?  Is morality eternal, or does it change?

"It was absolutely moral and right to stone disobedient children to death.  Now it isn't."

Agree or disagree?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?