Author Topic: Why there is No such thing as a good atheist  (Read 6606 times)

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
Re: Why there is No such thing as a good atheist
« Reply #174 on: February 18, 2014, 02:21:39 AM »

Well for one thing, that's wrong. I have personally witnessed ghosts and supernatural activity. It's why I can not take atheism seriously anymore. I have seen the supernatural.

This is another perfect example of why reality is defined by subjectivity. In my reality, ghosts are real because I have seen them with my eyes. In your reality, ghosts are not real because you have never seen them.

But it is very wrong to think that they don't exist just because you personally have not seen them. It's the equivalent of someone saying, "Love does not exist because I never loved anyone."

At this point, I forget; has skeptic54768 ever claimed to have documented records of his ghost encounters? (was it only one, or more than one?)  Videotapes?  Audio recordings?  Interviews?  Transcripts?  Anything to show that he had good reasons to believe in what he thought he saw?  I would think after a couple encounters, it would be a good idea to have some means of record on hands at all time.  Never know when a ghost might be willing to grant an interview about the afterlife.  I know I'd be interested in reading such a thing.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +771/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #175 on: February 18, 2014, 02:27:13 AM »
It takes a mad man to try and change the mind set of the intelligent.

Nope. All it takes is new information that shows old information to be wrong.

And it isn't a mind "set", it is a stance built on real information, as opposed to wishful thinking, dreams and hijinks.

Oh, and clarity is nice. Real nice. In fact, its required. Hence this approach of yours won't accomplish diddly.

There is never a good reason to be bizarre. Unless it is halloween and you wanna scare the kids.

So unless you live in a time zone where it is still October, I'd suggest another approach.
One would think so but the world is not filled with good logical rational human beings. Never was never will be - look how much problems you are having with the believers to bring them out of their beliefs. Look what they do to theists? Out of which many a mystic has spoken in a manner that keeps it mystical and out of reach of those with a negative intent.

No, mystics talk like that because they have nothing to say, but don't want to admit it.

And who does what to theists? Other than hassle them every once in awhile. I, for one, have never done the atheist version of this:

http://vassleer.newsvine.com/_news/2007/01/03/504714-murdered-for-being-an-atheist

And luckily for you, I never would.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #176 on: February 18, 2014, 02:38:20 AM »
It takes a mad man to try and change the mind set of the intelligent.

Nope. All it takes is new information that shows old information to be wrong.

And it isn't a mind "set", it is a stance built on real information, as opposed to wishful thinking, dreams and hijinks.

Oh, and clarity is nice. Real nice. In fact, its required. Hence this approach of yours won't accomplish diddly.

There is never a good reason to be bizarre. Unless it is halloween and you wanna scare the kids.

So unless you live in a time zone where it is still October, I'd suggest another approach.
One would think so but the world is not filled with good logical rational human beings. Never was never will be - look how much problems you are having with the believers to bring them out of their beliefs. Look what they do to theists? Out of which many a mystic has spoken in a manner that keeps it mystical and out of reach of those with a negative intent.

No, mystics talk like that because they have nothing to say, but don't want to admit it.

And who does what to theists? Other than hassle them every once in awhile. I, for one, have never done the atheist version of this:

http://vassleer.newsvine.com/_news/2007/01/03/504714-murdered-for-being-an-atheist

And luckily for you, I never would.
Jesus was nailed to a cross. The parable of the sower.
Paul was nailed upside down.
The list of believers killing others has been endless and of course Theist continue to say Thou shall not kill.
Politics have corrupted the minds of people to lead and accept corruption or they will be killed or they are not patriotic, or not a believer, or not a countryman, or not the right colour skin, etc. The theists law of love is very clear. Blessed are the pure at heart for they shall see God.
According to Theists: Theists know God, Atheists don't.

Online Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #177 on: February 18, 2014, 08:40:26 AM »
I have personally witnessed ghosts and supernatural activity. It's why I can not take atheism seriously anymore. I have seen the supernatural.

This is another perfect example of why reality is defined by subjectivity. In my reality, ghosts are real because I have seen them with my eyes. In your reality, ghosts are not real because you have never seen them.

But it is very wrong to think that they don't exist just because you personally have not seen them. It's the equivalent of someone saying, "Love does not exist because I never loved anyone."

Love is subjective, period.

Ghosts and supernatural activity, since they are not describing a subjective emotional activity, would have an objective existence. If they do not have an objective existence, they are hallucinations.

So, where is your evidence separating your claim from a hallucination?
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #178 on: February 18, 2014, 09:02:32 AM »

Well for one thing, that's wrong. I have personally witnessed ghosts and supernatural activity. It's why I can not take atheism seriously anymore. I have seen the supernatural.

Even if you could conclusively prove that ghosts were real how would this prove the existence god?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #179 on: February 18, 2014, 09:13:33 AM »

Even if you could conclusively prove that ghosts were real how would this prove the existence god?

Because Biblegod is a ghost!

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
« Reply #180 on: February 18, 2014, 09:15:57 AM »

While it wouldn't, it would certainly add a bit of weight to all supernatural claims, including deity claims, if objective post mortem existence was proven. Certainly, it would create a greate a great deal of theological questions as it isn't compatable with Judeo-Christian cosmology.

However, currently all of it falls into wishful thinking.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #181 on: February 18, 2014, 09:22:41 AM »

While it wouldn't, it would certainly add a bit of weight to all supernatural claims, including deity claims, if objective post mortem existence was proven. Certainly, it would create a greate a great deal of theological questions as it isn't compatable with Judeo-Christian cosmology.

Or for those like skeptic: insane delusion.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Online Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
« Reply #182 on: February 18, 2014, 09:41:44 AM »

Or for those like skeptic: insane delusion.

-Nam

What??? We are agreeing on the use of that term?????? Satan must be strapping on the speed skates!

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #183 on: February 18, 2014, 09:53:50 AM »
What??? We are agreeing on the use of that term?????? Satan must be strapping on the speed skates!

I did suspect that the dutch were getting diabolical help

[1]

Hell, there aren't even any ice rinks in the Netherlands![2]
 1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/2014/medals/sports/speed-skating#speed-skating
 2. possibly not true

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #184 on: February 18, 2014, 02:21:56 PM »

Every thing we learn as a human being - from birth to death - has a teacher.
I am an Engineer, Politician, Nurse, Christian, Muslim Hindu, Buddhist because I was taught.
Atheism lacks the tutor.
For atheism to produce good atheists it has to have a "good" teacher.

So what you are saying is that every single skill and piece of knowledge there is, was originally taught to one human by a non-human?  That every "new" piece of knowledge is specifically imparted to a selected human by this other non-human teacher?

Sounds fascinating, but do you have a single shred of evidence for it?
Birth means we are born blank. We are taught by the human who gave us birth.

So how did the human who gave us birth learn their skills?  Now read what I said again.  Unless you are positing an infinite regress, every new piece of knowledge must come from a non-human source.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #185 on: February 18, 2014, 02:39:23 PM »
Plus, we know things by instinct when we're born. We're not taught it, it's in our genes, Levi genes, or wrangler, I forget. ;)

-Nam

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-438
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #186 on: February 18, 2014, 03:08:58 PM »
Plus, we know things by instinct when we're born. We're not taught it, it's in our genes, Levi genes, or wrangler, I forget. ;)

-Nam

Put there by a designer of course, Nam. Otherwise you're forced to say, "Genes are just the way they are for no reason. Just luck."

I'd bet my money on the designer.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline Xero-Kill

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • Wait... what?
« Reply #187 on: February 18, 2014, 04:47:25 PM »

-Nam

Put there by a designer of course, Nam. Otherwise you're forced to say, "Genes are just the way they are for no reason. Just luck."

Awesome! I will hold your cash until an actual deity is produced to settle the dispute.
"Our fathers were our models for God. If our fathers bailed, what does that tell you about God? You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you. He never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. This is not the worst thing that can happen."

~Tyler Durden

Online Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
« Reply #188 on: February 18, 2014, 04:49:37 PM »

-Nam

The kind of luck that results in passed on genes....which means NO DESIGNER.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #189 on: February 18, 2014, 05:49:15 PM »

-Nam

The kind of luck that results in passed on genes....which means NO DESIGNER.

Stupidity must run in his genes.

-Nam

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #190 on: February 18, 2014, 06:08:02 PM »
Genes are the way they are because they're passed on from the parents; luck doesn't have a whole lot to do with it, except in which particular set of chromosomes get passed on.

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #191 on: February 18, 2014, 06:25:09 PM »

-Nam
If your mother lied to you that the man you see is your father would you know instinctively?
You might have some powerful genes there Kal El?

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-438
« Reply #192 on: February 18, 2014, 06:39:53 PM »
Genes are the way they are because they're passed on from the parents; luck doesn't have a whole lot to do with it, except in which particular set of chromosomes get passed on.

No. From whence did the first gene come? Are you saying a gene just appeared one day with a random function?
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #193 on: February 18, 2014, 07:20:14 PM »

-Nam
If your mother lied to you that the man you see is your father would you know instinctively?

I'm sorry, did I say we are born instinctively knowing everything? No, I didn't. Stop speaking like you can't comprehend basic English; but, if you can't: stop speaking until you do.

-Nam

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +771/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #194 on: February 18, 2014, 09:40:41 PM »

No. From whence did the first gene come? Are you saying a gene just appeared one day with a random function?

Here's the problem, Skep. You are trying so very very hard to redefine science so that you can diss it. And, from your perspective, you're doing a grand job. But your fertile brain farts are not worthy of discussion, because you don't have, nor do you want, the slightest idea of what science really is.

You are busy honing in on details that are irrelevant to the discussion you are trying to carry on. How did this start, how did that start, when did this come into being, when did that come into being. First of all, even if we knew you wouldn't believe us, and since nobody is yet sure of the specifics, or the timetable, it is impossible for us to give you answers that meet your made up criteria.

You are not asking what is important, you are deciding where the import lies, and ignoring all other input, which is where the information is.

Science does not have all the answers. It doesn't pretend to. But it has even fewer answers if you are going to insist on concentrating on tiny details at the expense of everything else.

I can imagine you watching as NASCAR race. Instead of watching the cars, if you used your current obsessions, you would stare at one tiny spot on the track and try to figure out if it was actually a race and if there could be a winner if not every car drove over that precise spot.

I suggest that you give this stuff up. We can't possibly provide answers to questions if you're not willing to ask them. And you appear to have no intention of doing your part.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-438
« Reply #195 on: February 19, 2014, 02:00:24 AM »

Here's the problem, Skep. You are trying so very very hard to redefine science so that you can diss it. And, from your perspective, you're doing a grand job. But your fertile brain farts are not worthy of discussion, because you don't have, nor do you want, the slightest idea of what science really is.

You are busy honing in on details that are irrelevant to the discussion you are trying to carry on. How did this start, how did that start, when did this come into being, when did that come into being. First of all, even if we knew you wouldn't believe us, and since nobody is yet sure of the specifics, or the timetable, it is impossible for us to give you answers that meet your made up criteria.

You are not asking what is important, you are deciding where the import lies, and ignoring all other input, which is where the information is.

Science does not have all the answers. It doesn't pretend to. But it has even fewer answers if you are going to insist on concentrating on tiny details at the expense of everything else.

I can imagine you watching as NASCAR race. Instead of watching the cars, if you used your current obsessions, you would stare at one tiny spot on the track and try to figure out if it was actually a race and if there could be a winner if not every car drove over that precise spot.

I suggest that you give this stuff up. We can't possibly provide answers to questions if you're not willing to ask them. And you appear to have no intention of doing your part.

Double P,

It is not a tiny little problem. It is a huge "barbed wire layed across the track" problem.

If it can't explain why genes are the way they are and how the first gene got its information, then it's not very good. A theory without a beginning is not a very good theory. I can't put all my eggs into the basket of "we don't know how it began."

It's the same thing as the first "primordial cells" not having any information to make a human. So where did the information for humans come from? It can't keep mutating and mutating like that. That is preposterous. it contradicts thermodynamics where things tend to disorder, not MORE order. The sun's energy doesn't get you out of this one because the sun's energy can not create human information if the information is not there.

There's an article on the true origin website that refutes the "Sun provides the energy!" claim.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-438
« Reply #196 on: February 19, 2014, 02:03:46 AM »
I'm sorry, did I say we are born instinctively knowing everything? No, I didn't. Stop speaking like you can't comprehend basic English; but, if you can't: stop speaking until you do.

-Nam

Nam,

(slightly off topic but just for a second)

I couldn't help but notice that you changed your avatar pic. if somebody put a picture of YOU in their avatar with your eyes rolling like that, how would you personally feel? I am certain you would see it as disrespectful. I will not tell you to take it down but you know that I believe in Jesus and you know that I believe he is hurt by that and feeling disrespected.

That is all I will say.

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #197 on: February 19, 2014, 02:09:33 AM »

-Nam

-Nam
Most scientists say you and me are 99.5 % genetically equal The rest is about skin hair eys colour and features. Leaving a very minute difference. I do not see what make you feel you are not an idiot as well.  Moving on.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #198 on: February 19, 2014, 02:33:17 AM »
Never said I wasn't an idiot, actually many times in the past I have actually stated I am idiot after all I converse with people like you.

-Nam

Online Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
« Reply #199 on: February 19, 2014, 08:28:05 AM »

-Nam

Nam,

(slightly off topic but just for a second)

I couldn't help but notice that you changed your avatar pic. if somebody put a picture of YOU in their avatar with your eyes rolling like that, how would you personally feel? I am certain you would see it as disrespectful. I will not tell you to take it down but you know that I believe in Jesus and you know that I believe he is hurt by that and feeling disrespected.

That is all I will say.

Your beliefs are being disrespected. Neither he nor I have any respect for a belief so ludicrous, as summarized in my sig.  That is your belief(except the last sentence), and it is stupid.

And how could an eternal transdimental being capable of hurling galaxies into existence be hurt by googlie eyes?

Actually that's kind of funny thinking about it.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 08:32:53 AM by Hatter23 »

Online Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
« Reply #200 on: February 19, 2014, 08:34:04 AM »
Never said I wasn't an idiot, actually many times in the past I have actually stated I am idiot after all I converse with people like you.

-Nam

BTW Nam, I really do love the new avatar.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #201 on: February 19, 2014, 09:04:20 AM »
Relax.  Parodies don't hurt anything.  World leaders get parodied all the time, after all, and most of them just shrug it off.  At best Nam's picture would elicit an eyeroll or the equivalent.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #202 on: February 19, 2014, 09:17:37 AM »
Of course not.  Having a random functional gene appear on Earth with no precession would be strong evidence for creationism (or at least intelligent design).  So I'm glad you agree that it's ridiculous for that to have happened.

No, genes were preceeded by the individual chemical bases (adenine, cytosine, guanine, and thymine).  Which is obvious if you think about it, since genes are held together by the phosphate-deoxyrybose backbone that forms the actual strand.  Given the way molecular bonding works, it isn't surprising that adenine/thymine or cytosine/guanine pairings were looking for just about anything to get an electron from, so they would have eventually come together.