Author Topic: Civilization Will Die  (Read 176 times)

Offline anthony_retford

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
Civilization Will Die
« on: March 05, 2014, 06:54:39 PM »
I just caught a promo of Morgan Fairchild advertising his program "Through the Wormhole." It was a pithy statement "civilization will die without a belief in the divine." I already thought we were heading toward the crushing of belief in the divine.

What do you think?
People are 'erroneously confident' in their knowledge and underestimate the odds that their information or beliefs will be proved wrong. They tend to seek additional information in ways that confirm what they already believe.
Max Bazenman, Harvard University

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
Re: Civilization Will Die
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 07:06:58 PM »
Interesting, I'd like to hear the arguments made on the show.   

It kind of seems like civilization is almost certainly doomed because of belief in the devine.  Why? With arguments over the devine and WMD's which could kill everyone on the planet twice over, it is only a matter of time before the trigger is pulled.

I'm not a big fan of "Through the wormhole" although it is at least sometimes entertaining depending on the subject.

I personally think that civilization will thrive without a belief in the devine.

"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 07:39:15 PM »
I just caught a promo of Morgan Fairchild advertising his program "Through the Wormhole." It was a pithy statement "civilization will die without a belief in the divine." I already thought we were heading toward the crushing of belief in the divine.

What do you think?
There will always be believers. The god meme is very, very strong.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-11
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 07:53:39 PM »
The human brain evolved religion in small scale societies with small scale weapons. In the modern world religion could wipe us all out. People who think that the end of the world is about to happen only add to the instability and the desire to act it out is a danger to us all.

Even if religion does not kill us with weapons, it could cause the collapse of society through the denial of scientific progress, causing problems with declining economies and starvation. That itself will increase the number of wars.

There is also the problem of the imposition religious ideals leading to loss of freedom and loss of democracy (where it exists).
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 09:52:11 PM »
Fascism, a tribal mentality, overpopulation and religion, I believe, are going to be the causes of  the end of  human civilization.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +747/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 10:47:49 PM »
We are unable to see the future, learn from the past or live intelligently in the present.

We are killing our our planet, which is our only home, we are devaluing our neighbors and overvaluing all that stuff.

We all think we're above average. And nobody knows what they're doing.

On the bright side, we're all so incompetent it will probably take a couple more centuries to ruin everything. In the meantime, I hope you guys can swim.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 11:55:57 PM »
I know the world will end soon Neil D. Tyson will be on Fox talking about the cosmos.....that must be a sign of end times
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +747/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 01:00:18 AM »
I know the world will end soon Neil D. Tyson will be on Fox talking about the cosmos.....that must be a sign of end times

On the bright side, you and yours may be able to regroup and use your skills to survive while the rest of us die bemoaning the cancellation of Toddlers & Tiara's, as we suck in our last smog-filled breath. I do hope you guys can pull it off as we intruders kill ourselves off.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 10:06:21 AM »
The area where I am from is remote enough that it is possible :laugh:
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 10:11:09 AM »

What do you think?

Evidence suggests otherwise. The more savage a place is the stronger religion is. The more civilized a place is, the less important religion is. This is a very strong correlation throughout the world with a few outliers. It is even true neighborhood by neighborhood in a city; almost always high crime areas are ones with a lot of parishoners.

So when all proof is to the absolute opposite of the statement, what I think is it is pandering crap.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 10:31:02 AM by Hatter23 »
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +655/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 10:22:01 AM »
I just caught a promo of Morgan Fairchild advertising his program

Wrong Morgan.  Freeman is the one you want.  Elderly black man.  Fairchild is a blonde woman who used to be pretty hot.  They bear little resemblance to each other.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline anthony_retford

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 11:16:46 PM »
Thanks for the correction. I wasn't sure when I typed it but forgot to check on it.
People are 'erroneously confident' in their knowledge and underestimate the odds that their information or beliefs will be proved wrong. They tend to seek additional information in ways that confirm what they already believe.
Max Bazenman, Harvard University