Author Topic: The New Improved Mormonism  (Read 300 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Professor
  • Darwins +467/-16
  • Is this going somewhere?
The New Improved Mormonism
« on: December 15, 2013, 08:38:37 AM »
Mormon Church Finally Says Dark Skin is Not a Sign of God's Curse
The Mormon Church finally renounces its previous racist stance that brown skin is a punishment from God—and other growing pains.

http://www.alternet.org/belief/mormon-church-dark-skin-sign-gods-curse-no-longer

In the “Book of Mormon,” (not the musical but the actual sacred text) dark skin is a sign of God’s curse, while white skin is a sign of his blessing. The book tells of a conflict between two lost tribes of Israel, the Lamanites and Nephites, who journeyed to the New World and made their home in Mesoamerica. The Lamanites sinned against God, and “because of their iniquity. …the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them” (2 Nephi 5:21). Later, when Lamanites became Christians, “their curse was taken from them, and their skin became white like unto the Nephites” (3 Nephi 2:15).

Well, that seems pretty clear - "You're Black = You're curse - Simple! But wait! Someone has found the Magic Decoder Ring!

RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
Re: The New Improved Mormonism
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 09:55:23 AM »
Your picture reminds me of Stephen Fry lambasting the Catholic church.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 12:03:35 AM »
Mormon Church Finally Says Dark Skin is Not a Sign of God's Curse
The Mormon Church finally renounces its previous racist stance that brown skin is a punishment from God—and other growing pains.

Glad they are catching up to the 1970s, but they have no time to recover -- gay marriage is now in Utah.

I bet they are having grand mal seizures.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline 1makesitwrong

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 06:08:39 AM »
I'm amazed how other christian cults beat up on mormons.  Now let me make it clear I believe all religions are wrong but at least the mormons are changing what is written and how it is interpreted in their holy books.  However this is not a case of better late than never.  They only changed after great pressure.  So let's not sign them up for a Nobel peace prize.  I have to ask though when is the rest of christianity going to do the same, ie; slavery.  It is still legal and moral according to the bible.  So let's cross our fingers and hope the rest follow suit and catch the bible up with modern world.
The bible was pronounced dead at the scene

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +94/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 09:53:09 AM »
I'm amazed how other christian cults beat up on mormons.  Now let me make it clear I believe all religions are wrong but at least the mormons are changing what is written and how it is interpreted in their holy books.  However this is not a case of better late than never.  They only changed after great pressure.  So let's not sign them up for a Nobel peace prize.  I have to ask though when is the rest of christianity going to do the same, ie; slavery.  It is still legal and moral according to the bible.  So let's cross our fingers and hope the rest follow suit and catch the bible up with modern world.

The problem is then the fact that mere normal folk can "change the word of god" thusly.  I mean, if some council of elders (white men all, probably) can change these so-called holy texts, what makes them holy??  what basis is there for the religion at all??
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 02:49:23 PM »
So, are they going to edit the Book of Mormon that contradicts their new statement? You know, those parts that say that only white gets into heaven, and if black people pray for forgiveness enough they'll turn back into white people and be allowed in heaven? No? Then they don't denounce it. Period.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?