Author Topic: Worm  (Read 596 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +659/-28
  • Karma mooch
Worm
« on: December 13, 2013, 10:42:30 PM »
Worm is an online series about a 15 year old girl - Taylor Hebert - who has just acquired super powers.  She lives in an Earth where humans have had powers for about 30 years.  The get them through traumatic experiences, called trigger events.  The event shapes the power.  Taylors power is the ability to sense and control bugs.  She aspires to be a hero, but on her first night out in costume, her goal may be side tracked.

It is a superbly written story and does a great job at realistically portraying human nature.  It stands at the top of the super hero genre for me.  One of the things I like is how the smart people are actually smart, and pretty much always are able to overcome the "tanks".  Taylor's power sounds weak, but through smarts and creativity she becomes one of the most versatile and powerful capes in the world.

The story is broken up by story arcs.  Each arc is about as long as a short novel.  There are 30 arcs and one epilogue.  It is a monumental feat of writing.

I highly recommend this to anyone, not just fans of comic book heroes.  Try the first arc and you'll be hooked.

link:
parahumans.wordpress.com/table-of-contents/

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +77/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Re: Worm
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 12:30:35 AM »
Already hooked after Chapter 1. Thanks, screwtape.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 01:04:43 AM »
I like it.  I wish I could read it on my Nook but I can only use the internet where there is WiFi.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +752/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 01:46:03 AM »
I've never tried reading anything long in a web page format before. Not one with chapters anyway. Not the easiest thing in the world to do. But the story is good. I feel a little creepy about being an old guy reading about a young woman. But I think she's replaced my previous favorite female superhero:

WonderBread Woman!
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 09:18:44 AM »
Crap...i'm hooked...

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +659/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 08:41:34 AM »
I just finished it.  I'm not sure I love the ending.  If you'd like to do a book club thing, we could discuss arc by arc.  This would necessarily include spoilers.   I suggest when we are ready to talk about an arc, we post the Arc title, in nice big, bold typeface and understand that anything after that point could include spoilers.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 08:46:12 AM »
Worm is an online series about a 15 year old girl - Taylor Hebert - who has just acquired super powers.  She lives in an Earth where humans have had powers for about 30 years.  The get them through traumatic experiences, called trigger events.  The event shapes the power.  Taylors power is the ability to sense and control bugs.  She aspires to be a hero, but on her first night out in costume, her goal may be side tracked.

Sounds exactly my cup of tea.  Unfortunately, its white text on black background, and my eyes just can't deal.   :(
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 09:36:28 PM »
I'm cranking through...but I've been busy as well.  I started reading comments, and then decided it is a waste of time.  I'll look at comments later.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +659/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 03:03:11 PM »
Sounds exactly my cup of tea.  Unfortunately, its white text on black background, and my eyes just can't deal.   :(

cut and paste into a format and color scheme your eyes love.  It is a little extra work, but I would say it is worth it.

lemme know if anyone wants to discuss Arc 1.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 05:31:28 PM »
I read 1.1, and I sort of want to continue with it. If I find myself bored over my upcoming holiday I might read on.

I'm sensitive to bullying, and quite nervous for my daughter as she is almost high school age. She has already experienced bullying amongst her group of friends.

The idea of a bug army is intriguing.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 09:28:09 AM »
Finished Arc 7.  I wanted to say this is a cheesy story, but I can't.  It seems to be maturing as it goes, in terms of writing.  Like it's improving in writing style and content.  I can see it as a movie.

Seems like I have a long way to go to finish, but I can't read as much as I want, and I have a ton of work to do around the house.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +659/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 09:55:22 AM »
I can see it as a movie.

It would need a lot of editing. I can see it as a graphic novel or a tv series.  In fact, I'd like to.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 03:00:52 PM »
I'm sensitive to bullying, and quite nervous for my daughter as she is almost high school age. She has already experienced bullying amongst her group of friends.

The idea of a bug army is intriguing.

I was bullied too, and find that aspect of the story both disturbing and compelling. That's primarily the draw for me right now: what caused her best friend to turn on her that drastically?

Good for you, magic, for being aware of that kind of thing.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 05:14:25 AM »
Okay, just reached the chapter where the Best-Friend-Turned-Bully bit is explained (mostly). Not quite what I was expecting.

Overall, it's an interesting take on a morally-ambiguous world where super-powers exist. Some good ideas I might use for roleplaying; characters as well as background details.

For those who like the genre, here's some more with a more positive tone. Basically, the main character is a superhero travelling across parallel worlds trying to get home. It's a series of fanfictions, with the author paying tribute to his favorite books, movies, anime series and so on. Though it's still incomplete, I found it engaging:
http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/dwmain.shtml
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 05:16:40 AM by wright »
--Marcus Aurelius