Author Topic: Marriage discrimination in Australia  (Read 298 times)

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Marriage discrimination in Australia
« on: December 13, 2013, 09:48:37 PM »
Marriage equality in Australia took a step backwards recently:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/12/13/australian-court-strikes-down-marriage-equality-in-a-lost-opportunity-says-atheist-group/

On the whole, those pushing for recognition of same-sex marriage at the federal level seem to be disappointed but optimistic; not unlike how it was here in the US a few years ago. Of course there are opponents making ludicrous, bigoted statements:
Not at all surprisingly, the Australian Christian Lobby and other Christian groups are at the center of the movement to take down marriage equality. Lobby member Lyle Shelton told Australia’s ABC1 that same-sex marriage is essentially a lost cause and he wants a referendum to take it completely off the table.   
“If you redefine marriage you’re saying yes to the proposition that it’s okay for some children to be denied their natural mother and father,” he said. “I think that’s an injustice.”

He says same-sex couples should give up on marriage.

“They’ve pretty much exhausted all avenues through the democracy and the courts and I think it’s time to move on,” he said.

Someone in the comment section pointed out by that logic:
I never knew there were no adoptions or fostering or single parents in Australia. I guess things really are different down under. In America we at least try to remove custody of children from abusive parents as well.

When one natural parent dies, do they kill the children to maintain the child's rights?
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +65/-0
  • Polyatheist
Re: Marriage discrimination in Australia
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 05:19:28 AM »
Doesn't help that our current Prime Minister trained to be in the clergy. Biased, ya think?
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 08:41:51 AM »
(Sorry if this is a nero-post)

But bloody Tony Abbot, that catholic bastard has already made our country go backwards in technology, and NOW society?
What a joke.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 04:06:40 PM »
Abbot would be a joke if it wasn't so deadly serious. Given a chance he could wreck the good name and reputation of Australia what with all the policies he's so far come up with. If he fails on the marriage problem - and I can't see any reason why he won't - then Australia with be the only western country that hasn't managed equality of marriage.

It's a shame so, Australians, make sure you elect the right party next time.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)