Author Topic: Marriage equality in Kentucky  (Read 164 times)

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Marriage equality in Kentucky
« on: February 12, 2014, 09:14:26 PM »
A Kentucky judge has ruled that his state's ban on recognizing same-sex marriages that were performed in other states is unconstitutional:http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20140212/NEWS10/302120050/Kentucky-ban-gay-marriages-from-other-states-struck-down-by-federal-judge?nclick_check=1

It's lovely, reading how this Republican, Bush Jr.-nominated judge slaps down the standard whining by the usual suspects:
Heyburn also rejected the arguments of the Family Foundation of Kentucky — that recognizing same-sex marriages would undermine the fundamental role of marriage in ensuring procreation.

Heyburn said there is no requirement that opposite-sex couples agree to procreate to get married.

“The exclusion of same-sex couples on procreation grounds makes just as little sense as excluding post-menopausal couples or infertile couples on procreation grounds,” he said.

The article also notes:
Heyburn said that, “in many respects, the plaintiffs are average, stable American families.”

He noted that Burke and De Leon, have been together for 31 years and have two children, 14 and 15. while Meade and Barlowe have been together 44 years.

I applaud your verdict, your honor, but the plaintiffs are in every respect average, stable American families. The US is a very big, diverse place. The defendants in this case need to come to terms with that.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline cwschizzy

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Absurdity in Religion
Re: Marriage equality in Kentucky
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 07:27:52 PM »
I'm glad the judge mentioned the absurdity of the reasoning by mentioning infertile and post-menopausal couples.

I can only imagine what the next issue will be when gay marriage is finally legalized like it should've been by now.
Belief is irrelevant; the truth is not a democracy.
facebook.com/AbsurdityinReligion

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +560/-17
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Marriage equality in Kentucky
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 11:42:14 AM »
Not to mention, the Kentucky law was unconstitutional per the Full Faith and Credit clause.  No state can declare that the public proceedings (including marriages) of another state are invalid.