Author Topic: Amazing video.  (Read 292 times)

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
Amazing video.
« on: December 13, 2013, 10:13:29 AM »
Here is the link.

Please comment thoughts below :) Hope you enjoy.

-Shaffy

I am struggling to move the entire thread: if all else fails, here are the posts as quotes.  GB

It really isn't fair, is it. Debating someone over reality when the other guy has no concept of what is real. This video is one-sided, in that it only shows Sam Harris talking away, but he makes point after point about why this god guy stuff is so messed up. A nice synopsis of some key complaints we smart folks have about the bible.

It really isn't fair, is it. Debating someone over reality when the other guy has no concept of what is real. This video is one-sided, in that it only shows Sam Harris talking away, but he makes point after point about why this god guy stuff is so messed up. A nice synopsis of some key complaints we smart folks have about the bible.

Yes,completely agree. Lets be honest Sam Harris is beyond well spoken. I have watched the video 5 times already. I wish every religious person would watch this video.

-Shaffy

You probably should have put the video in the general religious section, because it is a quick summation for Christians about the lack of logic and love in the Christian religion.  Visitors should see this.

For a human being on earth, to not believe in the Christian god that created a universe that continues to astound us as we learn of its size ( remember, evidence from the hubble telescope, when focused on a dark spot in space the size of a coin, shows an estimated 1500 galaxies ) results in punishment of eternal hell.  How ridiculous.

Just the idea of an eternal hell, when examined, is disregarded by many christians - it just throws morality out the window that a caring, loving wiccan will be eternally punished.  Pretzel logic and bible contradictions needed.

And the "free will" argument - where the lack of belief in a god along with realizing the truth that free will does not exist, results in an understanding of what that means morally to society - shows that punishment is always wrong.   Even the serial killer deserves humane treatment when cause and response is understood.   Religion holds back true morality.

We are responsible for humanity.   We are responsible for helping each other.

edit: bad English, as PP says

Could i get a moderator to move it?

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 12:05:28 PM by Graybeard »
We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it.

~ParkingPlaces

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
Re: Amazing video.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 02:27:22 PM »
Thanks GB! ;D
-Shaffy
We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it.

~ParkingPlaces

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-1
Re: Amazing video.
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 07:52:02 AM »
OK...now I have wasted (?) major should-be-productive parts of the last couple of days with listening to all sorts of Sam Harris stuff on youtube. :) For whatever reason, I hadn't seen much by him before, but I just love the way he presents his case.