Author Topic: Are atheists offended by belief in god(s)?  (Read 3614 times)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +107/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
Re: Are atheists offended by belief in god(s)?
« Reply #116 on: December 15, 2013, 08:13:07 PM »
The Adam and Even and Cain and Abel thingy.

If god was fine with brothers and sisters doing the dirty deed, why did the first family start out with two sons? Unless mommy gets intimately involved, so to speak, they've got nothing. No wonder they fought so much with each other. They had nobody else to fight with.

Of course Abel could have died during a lovers quarrel, but I know better than to go there. Almost.
Of course they had two sons,to teach you about the sin of jealousy.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +50/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #117 on: December 15, 2013, 08:24:09 PM »
Gen 1
26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

27 So God created mankind in his own image,
    in the image of God he created them;
    male and female he created them.

Gen 2
Then the Lord God formed a man[c] from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.
8 Now the Lord God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man he had formed. 9 The Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

As I "understood" the story of Genesis Gen 1 is about the world and Gen 2 is about Eden. In Gen 1 it claims that god made "them" mankind plural. So Adam wouldn’t be the first man. Maybe one of the first but he was the dude in Eden who somehow became the representative for all the humans on earth. If you go by this "logic" then the world could be decently populated in 900 years.
I know that this doesn't explain away any of the other contradictions and I don’t mean it to. If you want to do that you are on your own

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +198/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2013, 01:58:05 AM »
Thanks for the reply mm.

I can only suggest Adam and Eve had many, many other children who also then had many other children, and that the Cain and Abel occurrence happened when they were a lot older than is at first assumed.

But, I don't know.
I'm just going to repost what I said on this in a different thread:

This one is a puzzler. Cain slew Abel and wandered off, curse and all, to build himself a seemingly nice life with a woman from Nod. A theist member (not the one I asked though) hand-waved it away as, more or less, "he mated with his sister because the gene pool was less damaged back then" or some other such nonsensical BS. Problem with his answer is that in no way is that how the Bible narrative actually reads. The siblings mentioned in Genesis show up in chapter 5, and the Cain/Abel murder/curse/go to Nod/marry a woman/father a son/built a city story happens in chapter 4. These sisters from whom he supposedly chose a wife don't seem to have been born when Cain leaves Eden to go East (cursed to wander the Earth alone and friendless with all hands turned against him no less) and marries a woman whose existence is denied by the interpretation that theists (edited to add "of a literal inclination) put on the Genesis account of creation.

Seth was not born until after the death of Abel (Gen 4.25), thus also after the banishment of Cain. According to the book, Seth was born when Adam was 130 years old, during the next 800 years the remaining offspring were born (Gen 5.3-4).

This ^^^ is why I asked the question. I didn't recall the exact order of event as spelled out in Genesis but I did remember that there was a big gaping hole in the narrative, so I went looking for it.

Any thoughts magicmiles?
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2013, 02:07:21 AM »
Thanks for the reply mm.

Anything for my favourite Minnesotan Atheist.

I'm just going to repost what I said on this in a different thread:

This one is a puzzler. Cain slew Abel and wandered off, curse and all, to build himself a seemingly nice life with a woman from Nod. A theist member (not the one I asked though) hand-waved it away as, more or less, "he mated with his sister because the gene pool was less damaged back then" or some other such nonsensical BS. Problem with his answer is that in no way is that how the Bible narrative actually reads. The siblings mentioned in Genesis show up in chapter 5, and the Cain/Abel murder/curse/go to Nod/marry a woman/father a son/built a city story happens in chapter 4. These sisters from whom he supposedly chose a wife don't seem to have been born when Cain leaves Eden to go East (cursed to wander the Earth alone and friendless with all hands turned against him no less) and marries a woman whose existence is denied by the interpretation that theists (edited to add "of a literal inclination) put on the Genesis account of creation.

Seth was not born until after the death of Abel (Gen 4.25), thus also after the banishment of Cain. According to the book, Seth was born when Adam was 130 years old, during the next 800 years the remaining offspring were born (Gen 5.3-4).

This ^^^ is why I asked the question. I didn't recall the exact order of event as spelled out in Genesis but I did remember that there was a big gaping hole in the narrative, so I went looking for it.

Any thoughts magicmiles?

Not any good ones, sorry. It seems to me most likely that somewhere along the line an incorrect assumption or assumptions have been made about elapsed time, and possibly the events have not been recorded chronologically as one would expect.

So I don't think I will be able to convince you to abandon atheism. This time. ;D
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline wolfunchained

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #120 on: December 16, 2013, 03:42:09 AM »
Im sure many of you on here have seen the video on you tube "the god delusion"? Richard dawkins totally shows the sickening side of what religion can be like.

I have no problem with anyone who is just the run of the mill , "yeah i believe in god" type of person. But when its drummed into kids heads and they are taught non factual things that are someones own individual thoughts then i have an issue.

I also am the second of 4 children of my parents to be a dissapointment to them as i am an atheist. I tell them they have no right to be dissapointed but they do not see it that way.

This brings me back to the original topic question.
A belief in a deity leads to mind corruption and judgement of those who do not believe as its a christians duty to spread the gospel of jesus christ.
So this leads me to say that i am not offended in the simple "yeah i think there is a god" person but the people who instantly judge me for not beliveing are offensive to me. As its not thier right to judge me.

I have been judged by christians as "evil and secular and worldly"
generally the hard core believers think that you are evil if you reject the holy spirit. As you have chosen the defult setting of evil. 
We all know that our default setting is.......normal, not evil.
I got told by a guy witnessing on the street that if i diddnt believe in god and repent i would BURN IN HELL. Straight up fear preaching while i just wanna get into town, have a burger and an ice cream and buy a new novel to read or whatever.

This may not apply to all christians but from my own experience this is my opinion on the subject.
now I've broken through the glass, im lacerated from my past, I climbed over my prison walls, the pain was delightful.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +198/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #121 on: December 16, 2013, 10:53:26 AM »
Not any good ones, sorry. It seems to me most likely that somewhere along the line an incorrect assumption or assumptions have been made about elapsed time, and possibly the events have not been recorded chronologically as one would expect.

I find this response both ironic and unsatisfying. But you knew that when you posted it, at least the unsatisfying portion - I'm honestly never sure if you see the irony.

So I don't think I will be able to convince you to abandon atheism. This time. ;D
Good call, and I expect that you won't be abandoning theism anytime soon either. I just didn't want to let skep's ridiculous answer be the last word on our exchange about it, since it was you I asked in the first place.

I don't think I'll ever be able to really understand why you believe.

And next to my oldest brother, you're my favorite Aussie theist.  ;)
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."