Author Topic: Absolutely amazing video  (Read 191 times)

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
Absolutely amazing video
« on: December 12, 2013, 09:46:23 PM »
Here is the link to this amazing video I found. Formal debate at a university.

Hope you enjoy ;D
-Shaffy
We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it.

~ParkingPlaces

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +747/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Re: Absolutely amazing video
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 11:00:00 PM »
It really isn't fair, is it. Debating someone over reality when the other guy has no concept of what is real. This video is one-sided, in that it only shows Sam Harris talking away, but he makes point after point about why this god guy stuff is so messed up. A nice synopsis of some key complaints we smart folks have about the bible.

Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 11:05:30 PM »
It really isn't fair, is it. Debating someone over reality when the other guy has no concept of what is real. This video is one-sided, in that it only shows Sam Harris talking away, but he makes point after point about why this god guy stuff is so messed up. A nice synopsis of some key complaints we smart folks have about the bible.

Yes,completely agree. Lets be honest Sam Harris is beyond well spoken. I have watched the video 5 times already. I wish every religious person would watch this video.

-Shaffy
We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it.

~ParkingPlaces

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 07:37:57 AM »
You probably should have put the video in the general religious section, because it is a quick summation for Christians about the lack of logic and love in the Christian religion.  Visitors should see this.

For a human being on earth, to not believe in the Christian god that created a universe that continues to astound us as we learn of its size ( remember, evidence from the hubble telescope, when focused on a dark spot in space the size of a coin, shows an estimated 1500 galaxies ) results in punishment of eternal hell.  How ridiculous.

Just the idea of an eternal hell, when examined, is disregarded by many christians - it just throws morality out the window that a caring, loving wiccan will be eternally punished.  Pretzel logic and bible contradictions needed.

And the "free will" argument - where the lack of belief in a god along with realizing the truth that free will does not exist, results in an understanding of what that means morally to society - shows that punishment is always wrong.   Even the serial killer deserves humane treatment when cause and response is understood.   Religion holds back true morality.

We are responsible for humanity.   We are responsible for helping each other.

edit: bad English, as PP says
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 07:48:26 AM by shnozzola »
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 09:50:07 AM »
You probably should have put the video in the general religious section, because it is a quick summation for Christians about the lack of logic and love in the Christian religion.  Visitors should see this.

For a human being on earth, to not believe in the Christian god that created a universe that continues to astound us as we learn of its size ( remember, evidence from the hubble telescope, when focused on a dark spot in space the size of a coin, shows an estimated 1500 galaxies ) results in punishment of eternal hell.  How ridiculous.

Just the idea of an eternal hell, when examined, is disregarded by many christians - it just throws morality out the window that a caring, loving wiccan will be eternally punished.  Pretzel logic and bible contradictions needed.

And the "free will" argument - where the lack of belief in a god along with realizing the truth that free will does not exist, results in an understanding of what that means morally to society - shows that punishment is always wrong.   Even the serial killer deserves humane treatment when cause and response is understood.   Religion holds back true morality.

We are responsible for humanity.   We are responsible for helping each other.

edit: bad English, as PP says

Could i get a moderator to move it?

~ParkingPlaces