Author Topic: delusion [#2784]  (Read 1554 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
delusion [#2784]
« on: December 12, 2013, 02:33:24 PM »
you  also have a delusion that God  does not exist. The way to change the world is to change people's minds. As more and more people openly discuss the fact that "God" and "Allah" are completely imaginary, the world becomes a better place. The people who believe in "religion" look sillier and sillier. Eventually, religion becomes a fringe activity that is meaningless.

I am a Christian  i want you to know Christianity and the other religions are not the same...Christ is the way of life, if you don't believe it that is your choice.... I may also ask you how do you know you alive and a human being ...is it imaginary...does the devil exist. How better will be world  without |Christianity

[name removed]
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: delusion [#2784]
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 02:40:32 PM »
Well, given that christianity is the one that sent us to the Dark Ages and seems to want to do it again in select countries, I'd say the world would be better off without it. I'd go so far as to say the world would be better off without any religions, in fact.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 02:50:07 PM »
you  also have a delusion that God  does not exist.

Care to prove that assertion? It'd be real easy for you to do. All you'd have to do is prove god exists.

The way to change the world is to change people's minds. As more and more people openly discuss the fact that "God" and "Allah" are completely imaginary, the world becomes a better place.

Correct! There's hope for you!

The people who believe in "religion" look sillier and sillier. Eventually, religion becomes a fringe activity that is meaningless.

We can only hope and pray......

I am a Christian  i want you to know Christianity and the other religions are not the same

Sure they are. They're ALL based on imaginary beings and fictitious events.

Christ is the way of life,

Prove it.

if you don't believe it that is your choice

This is grossly incorrect. I can no more choose to believe in your dieties than you can choose to believe in Santa. I can't help but not believe, because I dont have a choice in the matter.

How better will be world  without |Christianity

I dunno, but I'm willing to find out.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 03:36:04 PM »

In order to be a delusion the belief must be resistant to evidence to the contrary. Got any evidence that couldn't equally point to the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

The way to change the world is to change people's minds. As more and more people openly discuss the fact that "God" and "Allah" are completely imaginary, the world becomes a better place. The people who believe in "religion" look sillier and sillier. Eventually, religion becomes a fringe activity that is meaningless.

Yup.

I am a Christian  i want you to know Christianity and the other religions are not the same

Umm and all those other religion would say exactly the same thing, except their religion is special. You are aware of that, aren't you?

...Christ is the way of life, if you don't believe it that is your choice.... I may also ask you how do you know you alive and a human being ...is it imaginary...does the devil exist. How better will be world  without |Christianity

[name removed]

Lets see. With the exception of the United States, and a few former Eastern Block contries, the less religious they are,( and yes until you have some sort of evidence, I will lump Christianity with everything else) they better of a quality of life they have. Even the United States...there's a strong correlation between being less religious and a higher quality of life.

How better will be the world without Christianity? It seems to improve as Christianty lessens so...yes, better.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 01:13:20 PM »
Amazing english!  "I may also ask you how do you know you alive and a human being ...is it imaginary...does the devil exist. How better will be world  without |Christianity " Quote- Illiterate Writer

I know I'm alive because I'm writing this message to you. I know I'm a human being because of science.

Have A great day -Shaffy
We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it.

~ParkingPlaces

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +769/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 01:32:35 PM »
you  also have a delusion that God  does not exist. The way to change the world is to change people's minds. As more and more people openly discuss the fact that "God" and "Allah" are completely imaginary, the world becomes a better place. The people who believe in "religion" look sillier and sillier. Eventually, religion becomes a fringe activity that is meaningless.

I am a Christian  i want you to know Christianity and the other religions are not the same...Christ is the way of life, if you don't believe it that is your choice.... I may also ask you how do you know you alive and a human being ...is it imaginary...does the devil exist. How better will be world  without |Christianity

[name removed]

I apparently have more information than you do. You have chosen to restrict your thoughts to a tiny sub-segment of available options, and you've chosen badly.

Life isn't so simple that it can be explained by inadequate stories. I suggest that you take a look at the real world and find a way to understand that being wrong isn't as exciting as it looks from the inside.

A whole bunch of people have tried to make up gods. Some have convinced themselves and others that they've succeeded. There is no way to be any more wrong about anything in the universe (though I'm sure ties are possible).

If you want to go through life thinking that Jesus loves us all, that's fine. But if you ever feel a need to shoot me because Jesus loves us all, then we'll have a problem. See to it that that doesn't happen. Your delusions aren't that important.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 01:34:44 PM »
Oh we will stop arguing about it, as soon as God belief are used as a basis for making special exception to laws, making laws than influence other, supporting wars, interfering with scientific research, restricting freedoms, and choosing politicians.

Notice I, or anyone here, doesn't spent much time arguing over the existence or word of a Kumiho, and can you understand why? The belief of Kumiho, and many tail fox-spirit god of Korea, doesn't affect our lives. The belief in Yahweh DOES.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 05:25:15 PM »
I am a Christian
Y'know. I don't think you are.

I think that you have a superficial knowledge of the Bible and its history and have chosen a few verses to believe.

I have no idea why you think that there's a heaven where you go after you die.

I have no idea why you think your god gave us morals but told us to keep slaves.

I have no idea why you think it is a good idea that Jesus will come back and slaughter 2.8 billion people.

I have no idea why talking to yourself makes you think that the world will change for you.

But most of all, you know that there is no evidence whatsoever for Zeus, Woden, Baal Hadad, or any other god out of the 5,000 you do not believe in and that is the same amount of evidence you have for Yahweh.

Look, it is charming for a young child to have an "invisible friend" but don't you think it is time you thought a little?
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 07:24:38 PM »
I have no idea why you think it is a good idea that Jesus will come back and slaughter 2.8 billion people.

Don't know where this number is from.

I'll have to look up the verses but it's my understanding that he plans to kill 2/3rds ie 66% then later with the last 33% wipe out 2/3rds of them too, leaving only 11% of the original total. So, with a world population nearing 7 Billion people, which leaves 770,000 left alive. This is even before factoring in the deaths due to infrastructure and medical collapse, or those that just happened to die for other reasons. This is essentially reducing the world population to less than that of Ft. Worth, TX.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 10:07:36 PM »
Antidote,

My smite was not unwarranted. I hate to break it to you and Shaffy but English is not everyone's primarily language.  And, even if it was this person's primary language then Shaffy should be respectful and talk badly about everyone who comes here and writes poorly. He doesn't do that.

This doesn't negate those of us who have chided others for their poor use of English but when we've done it, for the most part, it's to drive a point.

What point is Shaffy making but to make fun of the person? If Shaffy is so disgusted by the poor use of English/grammar used then shouldn't Shaffy not made any errors in response to the person?

Get it?

There are atheists on here who write in poor English--why hasn't Shaffy ever smited them? 

Your countering is pathetic.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +74/-1
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 11:28:45 PM »
...Christ is the way of life, if you don't believe it that is your choice....

Bold mine.

Since you seem to think that belief is a choice, I suggest trying a little experiment to test that idea. For the remaining few hours of today, which happens to be Christmas, try to believe in Santa Clause. No permanent commitment, you can go back to not believing tomorrow. Can you do it? Can you simply choose to believe in something? And what about the reverse? Could you simply choose to not believe that President Kennedy was shot in Dallas in 1963, despite all the historical records, still living first hand witnesses, and even video and film?

There are several reasons why people might believe or not believe a thing. It may be because they have seen convincing evidence. It may be because they received the information from a source that they trust. It may be due to a well reasoned logical argument, such as a mathematical proof. It may be delusion. But, in my experience, it is never a choice. One can choose to say that he/she believes or does not believe a thing, but one cannot choose to actually do it. Or at least, I cannot. If you can, then your brain must be wired differently from mine.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 09:42:26 AM »

Your first paragraph completely disembowels your second paragraph that states that you have a religion. Ergo, you are a member of a fringe group engaging in fringe activity.

In fact, your fringe behavior has prevented you from consistently writing grammatically correct or comprehensible sentences.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 11:17:46 AM by Chronos »
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Online xyzzy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +48/-0
  • "Nothing happens"
    • xyzzy
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 10:45:10 AM »
Your first paragraph completely disembowels your second paragraph that states that you have a religion. Ergo, you are a member of a fringe group engaging in fringe activity.

Still, at least he was able to inform us that he disavows religion, which does seem to be an important distinction that some religious people wish to make.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool -- Richard Feynman
You are in a maze of twisty little religions, all alike -- xyzzy

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 11:19:29 AM »
Still, at least he was able to inform us that he disavows religion, which does seem to be an important distinction that some religious people wish to make.

If he says he is a Christian, how is he disavowing religion?

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Online xyzzy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +48/-0
  • "Nothing happens"
    • xyzzy
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 11:35:10 AM »
I was being sarcastic (rare, eh?) and perhaps using a little too much license.

It seems that so many these days say that Christianity, for example, isn't a religion, or its a religion but not a religion like others, or they put forth ideas that have their genesis in religious beliefs, but find it necessary to say that they are not religious, because religion is somehow bad but their views are earth-shatteringly different even though they are just picking and choosing, or they are spiritual but not religious, whilst their stance is heavily influenced by religious beliefs. I've also been afflicted with run-on sentences and am missing punctuation marks, so maybe I should stop now.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool -- Richard Feynman
You are in a maze of twisty little religions, all alike -- xyzzy

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 04:22:32 PM »
Nam for him/her to come on this site and try to prove we are wrong. I am 100% ok with because that is what this thread is about. In this day in age you can use auto correct or any other tool. For someone to write to this thread  and not take any care or effort to write properly is offensive to me. English is also not my first language but, I would find it direspectful for me to write with grammar mistakes. On top of this his kep points in his/her message are delusional.

Bad english: Nam for   him/her to come on this site and try to prove we are wrong. I am 100% ok with because that is what this thread is about. In   .this day in age you can use auto correct or any other tool. For someone to write to this thread  and not take any care or effort to .write properly is offensive to me. English is also not my first language but, I would find it direspectful for me to write with grammar mistakes.    On top of this his kep points in his/her message are delusional.

If I wrote the bottom one I would feel that I am being rude. That is my point.

-Shaffy
We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it.

~ParkingPlaces

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 10:31:39 PM »
I was being sarcastic (rare, eh?) and perhaps using a little too much license.

Ah.  I was being slow.

It seems that so many these days say that Christianity, for example, isn't a religion, or its a religion but not a religion like others, or they put forth ideas that have their genesis in religious beliefs, but find it necessary to say that they are not religious, because religion is somehow bad but their views are earth-shatteringly different even though they are just picking and choosing, or they are spiritual but not religious, whilst their stance is heavily influenced by religious beliefs. I've also been afflicted with run-on sentences and am missing punctuation marks, so maybe I should stop now.

Agree.  Just take a breath and type a period.

Agree that some Christians do not view Christianity as a religion. When you live life in a delusion then anything can be as you like.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 08:33:51 AM »

If he says he is a Christian, how is he disavowing religion?

cognitive dissonance. The who "not a religion but a personal relationship with Jesus" in order to wiggle around the fact they are just one religion amongst many and nothing special.

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 05:03:57 PM »
Nam for him/her to come on this site and try to prove we are wrong is fine. I am 100% ok with itbecause that is what this thread is about. In this day in age you can use auto correct or any other tool. For someone to write to this thread  and not take any care or effort to write properly is offensive to me. English is also not my first language but, I would find it direspectful for me to write with grammar mistakes. On top of this his key points in his/her message are delusional.

Bad english: Nam for   him/her to come on this site and try to prove we are wrong. I am 100% ok with because that is what this thread is about. In   .this day in age you can use auto correct or any other tool. For someone to write to this thread  and not take any care or effort to .write properly is offensive to me. English is also not my first language but, I would find it direspectful for me to write with grammar mistakes.    On top of this his kep points in his/her message are delusional.

-Shaffy

~ParkingPlaces

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 03:39:29 AM »
Nam [comma] for him/her to come on this site and try to prove we are wrong.[why the period? Seems as if you were continuing in the next line. Comma or semi-colon, perhaps?] I am 100% ok["ok" should be "OK"] with because that is what this thread is about. In this day in age you can use auto correct or any other tool. For someone to write to this thread  [Why do you have an extra space here?]and not take any care or effort to write properly is offensive to me. English is also not my first language but, I would find it direspectful for me to write with grammar mistakes. On top of this his kep[I believe "kep" would be "key".] points in his/her message are delusional.

Bad english: Nam for   him/her to come on this site and try to prove we are wrong. I am 100% ok with because that is what this thread is about. In   .this day in age you can use auto correct or any other tool. For someone to write to this thread  and not take any care or effort to .write[
 properly is offensive to me. English is also not my first language but, I would find it direspectful for me to write with grammar mistakes.    On top of this his kep points in his/her message are delusional.

-Shaffy

And, do you see mine?

You're an idiot.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 09:42:26 AM »
Nam [comma] for him/her to come on this site and try to prove we are wrong.[why the period? Seems as if you were continuing in the next line. Comma or semi-colon, perhaps?] I am 100% ok["ok" should be "OK"] with because that is what this thread is about. In this day in and age you can use auto correct or any other tool. For someone to write to this thread  [Why do you have an extra space here?]and not take any care or effort to write properly is offensive to me. English is also not my first language but, I would find it direspectful for me to write with grammar mistakes. On top of this his kep[I believe "kep" would be "key".] points in his/her message are delusional.

Bad english: Nam for   him/her to come on this site and try to prove we are wrong. I am 100% ok with because that is what this thread is about. In   .this day in age you can use auto correct or any other tool. For someone to write to this thread  and not take any care or effort to .write[
 properly is offensive to me. English is also not my first language but, I would find it direspectful for me to write with grammar mistakes.    On top of this his kep points in his/her message are delusional.

-Shaffy

And, do you see mine?

You're an idiot.

-Nam

nam, you forgot one!!
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 09:47:29 AM »

[name removed]
you  also have a delusion that Krishna does not exist. The way to change the world is to change people's minds. As more and more people openly discuss the fact that "Krishna" and "Vishnu" are completely imaginary, the world becomes a better place. The people who believe in "religion" look sillier and sillier. Eventually, religion becomes a fringe activity that is meaningless.

I am a Hindu want you to know Hinduism and the other religions are not the same...Krishna is the way of life, if you don't believe it that is your choice.... I may also ask you how do you know you alive and a human being ...is it imaginary...does Kali exist. How better will be world  without Hinduism.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 06:31:01 PM »
Nam [comma] for him/her to come on this site and try to prove we are wrong.[why the period? Seems as if you were continuing in the next line. Comma or semi-colon, perhaps?] I am 100% ok["ok" should be "OK"] with because that is what this thread is about. In this day in and age you can use auto correct or any other tool. For someone to write to this thread  [Why do you have an extra space here?]and not take any care or effort to write properly is offensive to me. English is also not my first language but, I would find it direspectful for me to write with grammar mistakes. On top of this his kep[I believe "kep" would be "key".] points in his/her message are delusional.

-Shaffy

And, do you see mine?

You're an idiot.

-Nam

nam, you forgot one!!

You're right. My bad.

-Nam

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 02:40:51 PM »
Well, first you have to show that God actually does exist.  Otherwise it's like saying that someone has a delusion that Vulcans don't exist.  They do - in fiction - but that isn't the same as saying they exist in the real world.  Now, if someone could show us evidence that Vulcans existed in the real world, it would be a different story.  And note that just because you think God exists isn't proof.

Quote from: writer
The way to change the world is to change people's minds. As more and more people openly discuss the fact that "God" and "Allah" are completely imaginary, the world becomes a better place. The people who believe in "religion" look sillier and sillier. Eventually, religion becomes a fringe activity that is meaningless.
I can't really argue with this.

Quote from: writer
Christianity is not exactly the same as other religions.  For that matter, other religions are not the same as each other.  Any religion is going to be a way of life to its adherents (since it affects they way they live so much); the real question is whether that way of life is relevant.

The rest is simply presuppositional silliness.  How do you know you actually exist, that your god is real, that Christianity really is the best religion?  All that you're really saying here is that everything is subjective and relative, and thus nobody can be wrong because it's impossible to show that anyone is right.  In order to have a meaningful argument, you have to be willing to accept that you can be wrong and someone else can be right.  Are you willing and able to do that?