Author Topic: Supreme Court judges allow Scientology wedding  (Read 367 times)

Online Jontom10

• Graduate
  • Darwins +14/-0
Supreme Court judges allow Scientology wedding
« on: December 11, 2013, 06:15:54 PM »
Surely this is now a chink in the British armour that resisted scientology? This judges decision gives validity to this insidious cult being given status as a religion and therefore become tax free.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25331754
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +896/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
Re: Supreme Court judges allow Scientology wedding
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 07:57:48 PM »
I am sure that they realize the same criteria that disqualifies Scientology as a religion also disqualifies the Anglican Church, the Catholic Church, the Mormons, the Muslims and the Jehovah's Witnesses. :P
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 03:38:33 PM »
I am sure that they realize the same criteria that disqualifies Scientology as a religion also disqualifies the Anglican Church, the Catholic Church, the Mormons, the Muslims and the Jehovah's Witnesses. :P

Well, not the Anglican Church. It is given a special status under Bristish law above and seperate from all other religions.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +896/-6
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 05:42:16 PM »

Well, not the Anglican Church. It is given a special status under Bristish law above and seperate from all other religions.

See, they already have a problem, then. Some religions are more equal than others. :P

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 08:15:21 AM »

See, they already have a problem, then. Some religions are more equal than others. :P

There isn't a pretense of equality. Anglicanism is the official religion of Great Britan. State funds are used to refurbish and preserve churches and so forth.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +896/-6
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 12:45:44 PM »
That's what I mean.

If you accept one version of supernatural belief as real and even give it special status, it makes it much harder to say other supernatural beliefs are not real. I know governments and countries do that all the time (see Israel, Iran and Saudi Arabia) but the UK is trying to be a modern, secular-ish, rational country, not a dictatorship or a theocracy.

Similar to Israel, where they are trying to balance the whole "Jewish state" thing with the fact that most Jews there are actually secular and lots of the truly religious people aren't Jewish! No wonder the center cannot hold.

I also find it interesting that neither Israel nor the UK has a democratic constitution. Could it be that you can't easily call yourself a democracy and still privilege one religion over all others?    :?

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 11:48:21 PM »
So can the "dreaded" Shariah law be far behind? That scares the shit out of most Protestant countries
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)