Author Topic: New documentary, director speaks about losing her faith as a result of making it  (Read 328 times)

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
This story is related to a previous article, released yesterday: Former student tells her story

Kidanpped for Christ documentary is today's story, speaking with the film's director. She didn't set out to do an expose. Rather, she intended to "...make a short, kind of heartwarming documentary about these rough-and-tumble kids learning about Dominican culture together and getting therapy.” What she found instead led to a very different film.

The two together are disturbing on a number of levels, but compelling and I think important. A commenter on the 2nd story points out "This is reminiscent of the Milgram experiments." And he's absolutely right.

Last, there's a website for the film here. The "About" page opens with this:

Kidnapped for Christ follows the stories of several American teenagers who were taken from their homes and sent to an Evangelical Christian reform school located in the Dominican Republic. The school is run by Americans and is advertised as a “therapeutic Christian boarding school” whose mission is to “help struggling youth transform into healthy Christian adults.” In reality, this school employed classic brainwashing techniques to break down and rebuild young minds.

One such student was David, a gay teenager taken in the middle of the night to the Dominican Republic to be reprogrammed into a straight, born-again Christian. The film also features Tai, a 16-year-old Haitian-American girl who was sent away after acting out as a result of childhood traumas, and Beth, a 15-year old who suffers from a debilitating anxiety disorder.

Once David's community found out what had happened to him, they formed a plan to bring him home on his 18th birthday. The struggles they faced to secure David's freedom revealed just how far Escuela Caribe would go to prevent their students from leaving.

The film is in post-production, and there's a Kickstart project page and a January 2014 film festival debut planned.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
Another former ... well, inmate seems the best word, tells his story here.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Thank you for bringing this up Jag.  I've heard about this school, and others like it.  I didn't know about the documentary or the director's fascinating story.

So Christian parents decide that their kid is (or might be) gay, or find out that their teenage daughter is (or might be) sexually active, and they pay a fortune to have their children  kidnapped and shipped off to the DR, where they are physically and emotionally abused and brainwashed.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +793/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
Having just read a long article by a woman who spent 10+ years in a North Korean prison labor camp, this doesn't sound quite so bad. In comparison. But it is made more horrifying by the fact that the people doing this should know better. Not everyone in N. Korea does.

If you need to use fear to teach something, and badgering, and brutality, and enslavement, then the lesson can't possibly be that important.

Power tripping SOB's are everywhere. The secret is to not  let them out of their strait jacket.

Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
The film is in post-production, and there's a Kickstart project page and a January 2014 film festival debut planned.

Thanks for this - I've pledged.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kateslogan/kidnapped-for-christ
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
Thank you for bringing this up Jag.  I've heard about this school, and others like it.  I didn't know about the documentary or the director's fascinating story.

So Christian parents decide that their kid is (or might be) gay, or find out that their teenage daughter is (or might be) sexually active, and they pay a fortune to have their children  kidnapped and shipped off to the DR, where they are physically and emotionally abused and brainwashed.

This "school" looks like summer camp when compared to residential schools,they have uncovered documents about malnutrition study conducted on the children in these schools

http://www.wawataynews.ca/archive/all/2013/7/24/government-conducted-malnutrition-studies-first-nations-children_24796

not to mention murder,sexual and physical abuse
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
is it the parents in most of these cases the ones who send the kids there? This will fix the kids,like corrective rape (an actual thing in Africa where they gang rape lesbians) will cure a lesbians
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +927/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
Unbelievable, except, unfortunately, it is. :o :'(
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.