Author Topic: Merry Christmas  (Read 695 times)

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
Merry Christmas
« on: December 10, 2013, 04:04:09 PM »
Getting in early..wishing all at WWGHA a merry Christmas and holiday season. Who wants to share their plans for the holiday?

We'll be having Christmas lunch at our house this year, with only my parents joining us. Later in the day we'll head to my sister in law's family for a BBQ and swim.

On boxing day we might head to the beach...

I often wonder what it's like to be cold at Christmas.

The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +296/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Merry Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 04:10:39 PM »
I already got my presents:

1. Hotel Transylvania (DVD)
2. Crusade (DVD -- part of Babylon5 series)
3. Star Trek: Into Darkness (DVD)
4. World War Z (DVD)
5. Criminal Minds (DVD -- season 6)

And five random CD's I haven't looked at yet.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 06:13:05 PM »
Why Merry Christmas to you too, MM. 

And you offer me the perfect opportunity to post my FAVORITE Australian/American Christmas song. 

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 06:22:15 PM »
Quesi, love the song! I'd never heard it before, so thanks for sharing.  :)
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 06:23:20 PM »
Yep, like that song, even if I disagree with some sentiments expressed.  Especially like the part about drinking white wine in the sun.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +74/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 08:08:39 PM »
Merry Xmas and Happy Holidays to all, indeed.

Nothing special planned here, just getting together with immediate family: Mom, Sis, brother in-law and nephew. Perhaps one of my in-law's daughters from his previous marriage and her kids might join us.

I'd trade you my local cold snap for some of that lovely Australian heat if I could, magic. Though as long as we're wishing about weather, anyone willing to trade cold for RAIN  :o???
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Online rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 08:43:23 PM »
My only plan is to suffer spending time with family for a few hours over dinner.

I often wonder what it's like to be cold at Christmas.
For my job I don't mind the cold, I actually prefer it over the summer heat.  But I hate delivering hundreds of Christmas packages everyday while driving through several feet of snow and ice.  It makes for long days and grumpy mail carriers trying not to put our vehicle in a ditch.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 09:15:43 PM »
This is going to be a weird year. I share a home with my mother, who's flying up to see my brother's family. So, I'll be alone, while the rest of my family is together. Not sure how I feel about that, but I've been traveling for months and have a lot of work to do for my next show. I'll probably sit around with the dogs and eat M&Ms.  ;D
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 09:31:39 PM »
Marry Christmas, everyone!

Typically I only spend Christmas with my husband and my sister but this is the first Christmas I get to spend it as a mother, so I am very excited!   ;D
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +74/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 09:37:44 PM »
This is going to be a weird year. I share a home with my mother, who's flying up to see my brother's family. So, I'll be alone, while the rest of my family is together. Not sure how I feel about that, but I've been traveling for months and have a lot of work to do for my next show. I'll probably sit around with the dogs and eat M&Ms.  ;D

If being alone (except for the dogs) is unavoidable, then perhaps it'll be an opportunity to relax, work at your own pace and soak up some pleasant solitude. Might be a nice change of pace  ;).

Marry Christmas, everyone!

If I'm going to get hitched to a holiday, I'd rather it be Thanksgiving. I think we'd be a closer match.

Typically I only spend Christmas with my husband and my sister but this is the first Christmas I get to spend it as a mother, so I am very excited!   ;D

Have a good holiday, proud momma  ;D.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +296/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 07:12:41 AM »
I'm taking my mom to my sister's in Orlando for Christmas. She just bought a house so we're going there. My sister works fulltime, and goes to UCF fulltime (she's a Junior) and in the chaos of all that she bought a house last month which is no where near where she works or goes to school.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 07:47:09 AM »
I plan to get hammered on the 24th with friends in their village pub.
Its my mates dad's birthday on the 25th as I'm going to be staying over with my mate on the 24th I'll head over to see his dad when he goes.
I'll have to visit the folks and my sisters at some point and I've agreed to keep my eye on my neighbour to make sure he's ok, I'll probably have a JD or 3 with him.
Another neighbour is spending xmas on his own for the first time so I'll go over and see him for a bit too. He's teetotal so I won't stay for long  :P
It doesn't seem fair leaving the cat on it's own all day so I'll be back at home during various points of the day.
All in all its going to be a day of getting my arse over to various peoples houses and consuming epic quantities of alcohol.

Anyways merry xmas everyone hope you have a good one whatever you're doing  :D

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:52:31 AM by Hatter23 »
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Dr H

• Student
  • Darwins +14/-0
  • Irritant
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
Merry Xmas; Happy X-year; Kwazy Kwanzaa; Salubrious Solstice; and Happy Beethoven's Birthday to all.

I've been giving a major Xmas Eve dinner -- turkey and all the trimmingins (homebrewed beer and single malt whisky  :) ) -- ever since I was in grad school, and decided to invite a bunch of wayward music students who were stuck on campus for the holly-daze.  Just kept doing it after graduation, and some of the original attendees still show up every year -- some of them now with kids. 

After that, I celebrate the 1st day of Kwanzaa by naked mud-wrestling with penguins.   Between the 26th and the 3st I usually attend a late-in-the-year Halloween party that some friends of mine have been putting on for the last several years (they're too busy on Halloween proper to do it then...)

Then it's on to the X-year's Eve party, with the traditional 100 proof eggnog, fireworks, and general confiscation of car keys.

Big fun.  ;D

Dr H

"I have nothing to say and I am saying it and that is poetry."
                                                           -- John Cage

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 04:36:59 PM »

After that, I celebrate the 1st day of Kwanzaa by naked mud-wrestling with penguins. 

Fabulous...

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 05:18:17 PM »
Someone should link some of those "anti-war-on-Christmas" crusaders to this thread full of mostly atheists wishing folks "Merry Christmas"  ;D

And incidentally, Merry Christmas!
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 05:20:53 PM »
My brother refuses to celebrate Christmas in any way, shape or form. We're forbidden from buying gifts for his children.

Perhaps he will relent this year, or perhaps he'll be in hospital with ink poisoning - look at the tat he reently had done. He's an environmental activist.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 05:27:52 PM »
^^ My wife just pointed out that when he wears a shirt it's going to look like he has a turd on his neck.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-2
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 05:32:54 PM »
I was just about to say going that far up the neck was probably a bad choice.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 06:13:02 PM »
^^ My wife just pointed out that when he wears a shirt it's going to look like he has a turd on his neck.

Yup.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Online DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +40/-7
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 06:29:23 PM »
MM, I'm not sure about her environmental passion or interest but it still looks better on her...  ;)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70340966/12-11-2013%206-26-39%20PM.jpg

Either way I hope you and everyone else also has a Merry Christmas - I know I will as always!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70340966/12-11-2013%206-24-03%20PM.jpg
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:11:45 PM by DVZ3 »
Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Online DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +40/-7
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 06:54:59 PM by DVZ3 »

Online DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +40/-7

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +82/-1
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 07:28:13 PM »

He will probably want to grow his hair out a bit...Quite a bit. Might be easier if he wasn't blond.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 07:34:49 PM »

He will probably want to grow his hair out a bit...Quite a bit. Might be easier if he wasn't blond.

I imagine that is what he'll do, because I can't imagine his wife will be too impressed with that look at the moment. It will fade a fair bit as well.

Offline Dr H

• Student
  • Darwins +14/-0
  • Irritant
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 07:39:49 PM »
My brother refuses to celebrate Christmas in any way, shape or form. We're forbidden from buying gifts for his children.
Don't give the kids Christmas gifts; give them Saturnalia gifts.  Begins on December 17th, and runs for two weeks, or until the booze runs out.  ;)
Dr H

"I have nothing to say and I am saying it and that is poetry."
                                                           -- John Cage

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 04:41:45 PM »