Author Topic: More from Pope Francis  (Read 381 times)

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +81/-1
More from Pope Francis
« on: December 10, 2013, 02:28:22 PM »
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/10/21/pope-francis-right-wing-christians/

Pope Francis called right-wing Christian fundamentalism a sickness.
During a daily Mass last week, Pope Francis called ideological Christianity “an illness” that doesn’t serve Jesus Christ. Instead, it “frightens” people and pushes them away from religion.

He certainly has at least a few things right.

Either that or it's demons ;)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 02:30:43 PM by jynnan tonnix »

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: More from Pope Francis
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 03:11:31 PM »
Wow.  I still don't like him, but I'm starting to.

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 01:37:03 PM »
I like much of what he said so far.  But has he done anything to effectively change the RCC?  That's what I want to know.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 01:57:38 PM »
While I still think he's delusional...his hypocrisy is a lot lot lower than other religious figures, and in direct contrast to the previous pope.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +503/-11
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 03:09:04 PM »
You know, if it weren't totally ridiculous, I'd think he's read a bit of stuff from this site.  I mean, one of the ideas that periodically gets kicked around here is that moderate and liberal Christians enable the fundamentalists by not condemning their behavior as being un-Christian.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 05:45:18 PM »
I'm willing to hear this guy out. He seems to be gaining steam. Who knows, in 5 years he may just be like, "This whole shit is a farce, sorry guys, but I'm keeping the hat."

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +235/-0
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 06:22:57 PM »
I'm willing to hear this guy out. He seems to be gaining steam. Who knows, in 5 years he may just be like, "This whole shit is a farce, sorry guys, but I'm keeping the hat."
I think a shiny red A pin would look lovely on that hat.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 09:52:17 PM »

:laugh: cant stop laughing..
-Shaffy
We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it.

~ParkingPlaces

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 07:03:47 AM »
My fantasy of Don Corleone, Pope Franky, Sarah Palin, beatrice Kiddo and Spartacus squaring off with various sharp implements in the Roman Colosseum is coming ever closer, it seems.

That said, anyone remember what happened to the last pope who actually tried to change things up a bit ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_John_Paul_I

On, the other hand, this guy is catering to Latin America (and to a lesser extent, Africa) ... the only place on the planet where the RCC is still going strong. So, even conservative curiae might see him as a necessary evil[1].
 1. Evil ... because he trying to do good ... yes, people THAT's how fucked up the RCC is
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 10:23:56 AM »
My fantasy of Don Corleone, Pope Franky, Sarah Palin, beatrice Kiddo and Spartacus squaring off with various sharp implements in the Roman Colosseum is coming ever closer, it seems.

That said, anyone remember what happened to the last pope who actually tried to change things up a bit ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_John_Paul_I

On, the other hand, this guy is catering to Latin America (and to a lesser extent, Africa) ... the only place on the planet where the RCC is still going strong. So, even conservative curiae might see him as a necessary evil[1].
 1. Evil ... because he trying to do good ... yes, people THAT's how fucked up the RCC is

Haha :laugh: now I remember what happened to that pope... ;) Sarah Palin has great hunting skills so I think she would win the battle. ;

-Shaffy
We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it.

~ParkingPlaces

Offline Graybeard

• Professor
  • Darwins +457/-14
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 10:44:02 AM »
I must admit that of all the popes that I have bothered to take an interest in, this guy seems to be the most reasonable and most like what I imagine a Christian should be. But still you get the impression that behind the scenes the plotting and intrigue continues and it’s a question of who will come out on top.

The Vatican has fingers in many pies, only the minority are religious, its wealth and secrecy remain to the advantage of many a Mammon-worshipping oligarch. You only need look for articles on the manoeuvrings of the creepily named Institute for the Works of ReligionWiki (Vatican Bank) to see what this pope is up against.

And for conspiracists and historians, there are traditional ways of removing popes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_murdered_popes
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 04:18:19 AM »
I must admit that of all the popes that I have bothered to take an interest in, this guy seems to be the most reasonable and most like what I imagine a Christian should be. But still you get the impression that behind the scenes the plotting and intrigue continues and it’s a question of who will come out on top.

The Vatican has fingers in many pies, only the minority are religious, its wealth and secrecy remain to the advantage of many a Mammon-worshipping oligarch. You only need look for articles on the manoeuvrings of the creepily named Institute for the Works of ReligionWiki (Vatican Bank) to see what this pope is up against.

And for conspiracists and historians, there are traditional ways of removing popes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_murdered_popes
Are you suggesting Pope Frank use the Fruit of Islam for personal protection? That would be a site to see, no?

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 07:55:24 AM »
Wow.  I still don't like him, but I'm starting to.

At this point I actually do like him a lot. His stance against the ideologues of Christianism, even within his own Catholicism, is amazing and greatly needed. He might be able to pull the world to Lite Christianity with a bit more charity, but time will tell.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.