Author Topic: The Shelter  (Read 496 times)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
The Shelter
« on: December 10, 2013, 09:31:54 AM »
Okay, I understand taking the ability to smite from the Shelter but how about allowing a member not only to badmouth administration but members as well?

If we can't defend ourselves, those of us not permitted in the Shelter, than they shouldn't be allowed to say things against others, case in point:

Junebug:
God is better than the ones who locked me away in this shelter.  My freewill has been denied by cruel and unfair mods.  God made me a loving person despite what a person believes.  I believe I'm here because of fear.  Love is courage.  Fear is weakness.

I am not an attention whore, if so, then everybody on this site is the same thing, Dante and Nam.  I don't see how any body with good common sense would think this a way to a more peaceful and proper world.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
Re: The Shelter
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 10:15:29 AM »

Junebug:
I don't see how

And she never will, Nam. In her eyes, she's as faultless as they come.

The ignore feature sure does come in handy.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 10:17:31 AM »
There should be a "Report to moderator" button in every post, even if you can't post in the same section. Report and see what happens.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 10:22:15 AM »

Junebug:
I don't see how

And she never will, Nam. In her eyes, she's as faultless as they come.

The ignore feature sure does come in handy.

She's been on my ignore for months. She's still...I probably can't say it here.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 10:23:25 AM »
There should be a "Report to moderator" button in every post, even if you can't post in the same section. Report and see what happens.

I clicked on it, nothing happened. It's storming here, getting reception goes in out, or my phone just sucks.

-Nam

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 10:28:33 AM »
I clicked on it, nothing happened. It's storming here, getting reception goes in out, or my phone just sucks.

Keep trying. From my experience, the mods (almost) always act on reports.

-Nam

-One
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +560/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 10:29:22 AM »
If she's been on your ignore list for months, why are you still responding to her, Nam?  Putting someone on an ignore list means that you ignore them.  That means you don't read their posts and you don't respond to them (including smites, etc) - because if you're responding to them in any way, you're not ignoring them.  Besides, I thought you were the kind of person who didn't care what other people thought of you?  So if that's the case, why is junebug bothering you so much that you still insist on smiting/reporting her?

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 10:34:28 AM »
If she's been on your ignore list for months, why are you still responding to her, Nam?  Putting someone on an ignore list means that you ignore them.  That means you don't read their posts and you don't respond to them (including smites, etc) - because if you're responding to them in any way, you're not ignoring them.  Besides, I thought you were the kind of person who didn't care what other people thought of you?  So if that's the case, why is junebug bothering you so much that you still insist on smiting/reporting her?

I'm not responding to her, I'm responding to staff about her.

-Nam

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +560/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 11:23:51 AM »
I beg to differ - smiting her is not reporting her to staff, and you've been doing that for almost as long as you've had her on your "ignore list".  Which means you aren't ignoring her.  Indeed, this whole topic came about because you can't smite posts she makes in the Shelter.  Making topics like this isn't reporting her to staff either.  Note the name of this forum - "Personal Help, Advice, and Support".  Not "Forum Help, Advice, and Support".

Seems to me that if you wanted to discuss reporting posts in the Shelter, it would have been better to do it in the "Forum Questions & Suggestions" forum.  Or send a private message to a moderator or administrator.  Because, to be honest, all it looks like you're doing here is complaining about junebug's conduct and how she can say bad things about you, but you can't smite her for it.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +360/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 11:31:44 AM »
Okay, I understand taking the ability to smite from the Shelter but how about allowing a member not only to badmouth administration but members as well?

If we can't defend ourselves, those of us not permitted in the Shelter, than they shouldn't be allowed to say things against others, case in point:

Junebug:
God is better than the ones who locked me away in this shelter.  My freewill has been denied by cruel and unfair mods.  God made me a loving person despite what a person believes.  I believe I'm here because of fear.  Love is courage.  Fear is weakness.

I am not an attention whore, if so, then everybody on this site is the same thing, Dante and Nam.  I don't see how any body with good common sense would think this a way to a more peaceful and proper world.

-Nam
Honestly, Nam, I really don't see why you feel the need to defend yourself.  I'm reading the above, and I confess that she gets under my skin a bit on that one, but it's a pretty fleeting feeling.  It's her modus operandi, and she isn't going to change.  At least to me, she has zero credibility.  None.  I consider practically every single thing she posts as flamebait[1].

I hazard to guess that I'm in the minority insofar as considering her posts to be dominated by inflammatory intention.  It's a rather extreme view and could certainly be considered unfair by some.  The less extreme view - that she is primary emotionally driven and doesn't really process reason and logic well - is, I think, shared to some degree by the majority of the regulars here.  I dare say that the majority of regulars here recognize that she is...reactionary, and that conversing with her requires many grains of salt.

I'm not going to tell you how to behave Nam.  But when I see her complain about other members here - about their behavior - well, I remember the story of the boy who cried wolf.  She's bitched and moaned enough about innocuous things for so long that her protestations are nothing but noise.  I, personally, don't see you needing to defend yourself against anything she says.  I would guess that the majority of members here will, at the very least, see anything inflammatory from her towards you as 'well, junebug72/Nam slugfest again.  Whatever'.

If you feel the need to defend yourself from the 6-year on the playground calling you a stupid-head, go for it.  But seriously - why bother?
 1. i.e. nothing has changed my thoughts on the persecution complex theory of junebug72
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 11:47:10 AM »
I beg to differ - smiting her is not reporting her to staff, and you've been doing that for almost as long as you've had her on your "ignore list".  Which means you aren't ignoring her.  Indeed, this whole topic came about because you can't smite posts she makes in the Shelter.  Making topics like this isn't reporting her to staff either.  Note the name of this forum - "Personal Help, Advice, and Support".  Not "Forum Help, Advice, and Support".

Seems to me that if you wanted to discuss reporting posts in the Shelter, it would have been better to do it in the "Forum Questions & Suggestions" forum.  Or send a private message to a moderator or administrator.  Because, to be honest, all it looks like you're doing here is complaining about junebug's conduct and how she can say bad things about you, but you can't smite her for it.

What I smited her for wasn't anything to report to anyone; she stated something I found stupid, and I smited her for it. Others complained that people in that section shouldn't be able to be smited and they removed the smite. That was one or two days ago. I couldn't respond to her even if I wanted to because I'm not allowed in The Shelter probably because I am an asshole, that and I haven't requested to be.

Thus me saying, "I understand why smites aren't allowed in The Shelter..." and if negativity like that isn't allowed than her being negative toward staff, and two members (me and Dante), that shouldn't be allowed either. I tried "report to a moderator" link, it didn't work so I came here.

I have not once responded to her, and if you keep saying I did, I'm going to smite you for calling me a liar.

And, just because I have someone on ignore doesn't mean I can't periodically read their comments to see if they changed so I can remove them.

I don't like ignoring people; and, mainly she's only on it because it's safer for her. Because, as it stands, I don't like her.

-Nam

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 11:49:26 AM »
Oh, sorry, I put this in the wrong section. My bad. I thought I clicked the right link. Someone can move it.

Sheesh.

-Nam

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 03:38:34 PM »
I think you can only use the Report to Moderator function if you are allowed to post in the Shelter.  I tried it using the word "testing" and it worked.  So I guess the poor Mod is scratching his head & thinking WTF? 

Nam, I understand that you just don't like Junebug.  No one likes everyone or can be liked by everyone.  There are people who are able to accept and deal with that reality and successfully avoid interacting with the ones they clash with.  She clearly can not accept that she is unable to convert those who dislike or disagree with her.  When she reaches out and you or others don't reach back she reacts by lashing out.  That is just her crap that she has to deal with because that is how she learned to deal with rejection in whatever life experience she has had.  Of course that in no way obligates you or anyone else who doesn't like or agree with her to do so; just try not to take it personally and try to stay away from confrontation.

There are several people on the various social media places I frequent that I don't care to converse with.  I rarely go as far as to conclude I dislike them as a person.  I just avoid reading anything they post.  It is really that simple.  How can I be annoyed or offended by something I never see? 

Another member once made a comment in another thread that we (not sure whether he meant Americans or people in general) are becoming so practiced in offense.  I think that may be a topic worth exploring further.

Besides, I like you, Nam, it's good to have a crazy person on your side.   ;)  :-*
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 04:06:48 PM »
I think you can only use the Report to Moderator function if you are allowed to post in the Shelter.  I tried it using the word "testing" and it worked.  So I guess the poor Mod is scratching his head & thinking WTF? 

You didn't fool me!  mwu ha ha ha ha...   :police:

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 04:13:01 PM »
Assholes aren't crazy people.

-Nam

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 04:16:32 PM »

-Nam

I am the crazy one.   :angel:
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 05:15:10 PM »

-Nam

I am the crazy one.   :angel:

Oh, well, I believe that. Someone once told me, "To be your friend, you'd have to be crazy." I agree.

-Nam

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +560/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 06:13:54 PM »
I have not once responded to her, and if you keep saying I did, I'm going to smite you for calling me a liar.
If you smite her, that's a response to something she said, thus you are responding to her.  You're not lying, but you are mistaken.  Seriously, think about it.  It's the equivalent if I decided to stop talking to someone, but if they said something I didn't like, I would flip them off.

Let me put it another way for you.  Let's say, for the sake of argument, that she's trying to get your goat with her posts.  You've wisely decided not to reply to her posts, but you smite her when she says something particularly egregious.  What does that tell her?  It tells her that she's still getting to you - because she can see your smites and know that her posts are bothering you somehow, so she has a continued incentive to keep posting similar things, to get a rise out of you.

Do you see what I'm trying to say now?  I'm not trying to call you a liar, I'm trying to help you realize something.