Author Topic: Where is everybody from?  (Read 2768 times)

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
Re: Where is everybody from?
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2013, 08:28:19 PM »
Mini contest.  Anyone know whose home this is?  (No fair doing image searches.)

Do I get a hint? Is it someone that has acted/produced/worked in sci-fi? I know how you love your sci-fi.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2013, 08:33:19 PM »
Anyone know whose home this is?  (No fair doing image searches.)

Well now, lets see. You're an IT professional. You probably admire Bill Gates. But I think he lives in the USA. So this is probably the home of his less well known brother, Black Gates.

Do I win the Mini? I'd like a Cooper S, any colour.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2013, 08:35:53 PM »
Logical guesses, but this is actually in a completely different area of my life: music.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2013, 08:42:16 PM »
Does the name start with a B, end with an o?
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2013, 08:44:20 PM »
Ok, PD: hounds checked by your moving account of camera / image theft. Damn bloodhounds; the hint of a sob story and they turn into big, wrinkled, whimpering puddles of warm fuzz... It's only a temporary reprieve, though.

Haven't a clue as to the mystery domicile.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2013, 08:46:48 PM »

You must mean Brian Eno.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-1
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2013, 10:47:03 PM »
Magic and jynn were kind enough to contribute images of their local landscapes, so here's one of the hills around San Luis Obispo. The image is not mine, just to be clear.

This is looking almost due west towards Morro Bay, on the coast. That line of morros (rocky hills) is also called the Seven Sisters: all that's left of a line of volcanic cores (last active tens of millions of years ago; locals are more worried about the Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant).

Allowing for sunset, that's pretty much how it looks most of the year: brown and yellow. There are two or three months of real green that we locals look forward to; this year we might be still be looking next June. Dry winter so far, and little rain predicted for at least a month. In this, as in most parts of California, so many issues lead back to water.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2013, 11:46:33 PM »

You must mean Brian Eno.

Actually, I was thinking of Big Bird and Elmo.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2013, 11:58:00 PM »
I live down in the valley, close to the mouth of this canyon, and can see into it when looking due west.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-1
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2013, 01:08:26 AM »
^^^Lovely, PP. Have you got up into that high country at all? I've explored quite a few of the hills, canyons, beaches, creeks and groves around SLO. It's nice to be able to know what various places look like at different times of the year, observe how landscapes change over even a human lifetime.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2013, 02:09:18 AM »
Edit: graphic removed by admin

I wish Australia was more like this...

Edit: i noticed i got a - darwin from this.

Please get a sense of humor.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 07:32:48 AM by jetson »
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2013, 02:35:03 AM »
^^^Lovely, PP. Have you got up into that high country at all? I've explored quite a few of the hills, canyons, beaches, creeks and groves around SLO. It's nice to be able to know what various places look like at different times of the year, observe how landscapes change over even a human lifetime.

I don't get up there as much as I'd like. I am just now getting over a broken bone in my foot that made it painful to walk much. So next summer should be better than last when I put my hiking shoes back on and head back for the hills.

The above photo was taken (sadly, not by me) on the edge of a 600 square mile wilderness, so there are plenty of places in there that I haven't been to. And given that it isn't even the largest wilderness around, there is even more to explore if I'm willing to drive just a few miles.

I'm here because of the wild country. I need to get back into it. Now that my foot is willing, the rest of me will follow come spring.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2013, 03:01:43 AM »
Angus and Alexis, that's extremely offensive language. Please remove. The "c" word is offensive, sexist, and quite frankly, one of the worst cuss words in my opinion. Not at all appropriate for this forum.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +325/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2013, 03:12:39 AM »

Body or odor: body odor! I win! Where's my cookie?

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +325/-84
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2013, 03:13:45 AM »
Logical guesses, but this is actually in a completely different area of my life: music.

Enya? I know she lives in a castle.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +325/-84
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2013, 03:20:07 AM »
Angus and Alexis, that's extremely offensive language. Please remove. The "c" word is offensive, sexist, and quite frankly, one of the worst cuss words in my opinion. Not at all appropriate for this forum.

A lot worse has been said here by many people. Never complained then. But it's a word you find offensive, therefore it should go.

You're an idiot. <--- I've been told countless times that's an offensive word yet i've never heard anyone tell me not use it unless it was in a certain "G" rated part of the site where it wasn't allowed. Maybe you need to spend more time in the Shelter, you seem too sensitive these days.

-Nam

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-1
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2013, 03:33:28 AM »

I don't get up there as much as I'd like. I am just now getting over a broken bone in my foot that made it painful to walk much. So next summer should be better than last when I put my hiking shoes back on and head back for the hills.

The above photo was taken (sadly, not by me) on the edge of a 600 square mile wilderness, so there are plenty of places in there that I haven't been to. And given that it isn't even the largest wilderness around, there is even more to explore if I'm willing to drive just a few miles.

I'm here because of the wild country. I need to get back into it. Now that my foot is willing, the rest of me will follow come spring.

Good for you; I wish you well in your exploration.

There's lots of state- and county-owned parkland in my area too. I think that'll be a New Year's resolution I can stick to: get up into the places I've grown up looking at from afar.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2013, 04:07:47 AM »

A lot worse has been said here by many people. Never complained then. But it's a word you find offensive, therefore it should go.

You're an idiot. <--- I've been told countless times that's an offensive word yet i've never heard anyone tell me not use it unless it was in a certain "G" rated part of the site where it wasn't allowed. Maybe you need to spend more time in the Shelter, you seem too sensitive these days.

-Nam

Excessive vulgarity and insults are against the rules. I know you like to come off as an ass, but it really doesn't do anything to further intelligent conversation to post crap that offends those of us who actually are the intended audience for this site. Stop calling me an idiot ... it just makes you out to be even more of an ass.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2013, 04:10:15 AM »
It is a single funny image of a stereotypical Australian saying a surprisingly common Australian phrase...

Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2013, 04:23:18 AM »
Well, that word doesn't fly in the states. Try it on any American woman and see where it gets you. It is EXTREMELY offensive and extremely rare.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +325/-84
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2013, 04:25:59 AM »

-Nam

Excessive vulgarity and insults are against the rules. I know you like to come off as an ass, but it really doesn't do anything to further intelligent conversation to post crap that offends those of us who actually are the intended audience for this site. Stop calling me an idiot ... it just makes you out to be even more of an ass.

Oh, well I guess Administration, Moderators, and every other member on this website should all be punished because most of all of them have used such language; particularly toward one specific member. However, Angus didn't use it against anyone. And, it seems since YOU find it "excessive" because it offends YOU, and apparently you speak for all women, it is deemed "excessive". How are other words considered profane to certain people not "excessive"? It seems because you say so.

Did you know "cunt" holds a different meaning to English speaking countries around the world? So do many other words. But it's offensive to you therefore it should be removed immediately.

Get a life.

-Nam

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2013, 04:28:07 AM »
Simply because you do not like it, does not mean you have to right to impose your beliefs on me (see what i did there?).

To show you just what (some) Australians are like, see this: http://www.reddit.com/r/straya/

EDIT: May we please stop bickering over Australian language? Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 04:30:24 AM by Angus and Alexis »

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +325/-84
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2013, 04:30:16 AM »
Well, that word doesn't fly in the states. Try it on any American woman and see where it gets you. It is EXTREMELY offensive and extremely rare.

Now you're speaking for all American women. I have american female friends on and offline who are not offended by that word. Who actually use it. I can point you to one on another website, if you like.

[Nam-like sentence removed GB Mod]. Yes, many women find it offensive but you're not saying that, you're saying they all do because YOU find it offensive.

-Nam
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 07:44:44 AM by Graybeard »

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2013, 07:15:32 AM »

-Nam

We have a winner!  :-)

I took several wrong turns on the way to her home and it took me some two hours to get there as a result.  Which is OK, I could always use the exercise, and getting lost in a foreign country is just another kind of adventure.

When I finally got there, I stayed for only about five minutes… I'm told that part of the Irish "oeuvre" is that they're protective of celebrities who live Ireland (whether they're Irish or not) and they'll take notice of someone hanging around outside of a celebrity's home.  When reporters have gone to the area where she lives and asked around, they are invariably told by anyone they talk to that they have never seen Enya, which strikes me as unlikely, even as reclusive as she is.  I wouldn't be surprised if there's some kind of an unspoken code among the folk in that area to say they've never seen her regardless of whether they have or not because they know how private she is.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2013, 07:29:29 AM »

I took several wrong turns on the way to her home and it took me some two hours to get there as a result.  Which is OK, I could always use the exercise, and getting lost in a foreign country is just another kind of adventure.

When I finally got there, I stayed for only about five minutes… I'm told that part of the Irish "oeuvre" is that they're protective of celebrities who live Ireland (whether they're Irish or not) and they'll take notice of someone hanging around outside of a celebrity's home.  When reporters have gone to the area where she lives and asked around, they are invariably told by anyone they talk to that they have never seen Enya, which strikes me as unlikely, even as reclusive as she is.  I wouldn't be surprised if there's some kind of an unspoken code among the folk in that area to say they've never seen her regardless of whether they have or not because they know how private she is.
They couldve thought you were a bill collector...

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +325/-84
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2013, 07:37:17 AM »

-Nam

I once saw a documentary on Enya, that's how I knew she had a castle. Where's my cookie?

;)

-Nam

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2013, 08:34:38 AM »
I once saw a documentary on Enya, that's how I knew she had a castle.

Yes.  Well, it's called a castle, but it's really more of a mansion that's decorated to look like a castle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manderley_Castle

The photo on the Wikipedia page is older than mine… apparently, Enya likes to allow the ivy to grow on the side of the place.  I think the ivy makes it look nicer.

Where's my cookie?

Sorry, I'm all out.  I do have frozen yogurt bars, though.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +325/-84
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2013, 08:42:58 AM »
I once saw a documentary on Enya, that's how I knew she had a castle.

Yes.  Well, it's called a castle, but it's really more of a mansion that's decorated to look like a castle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manderley_Castle

The photo on the Wikipedia page is older than mine… apparently, Enya likes to allow the ivy to grow on the side of the place.  I think the ivy makes it look nicer.

Where's my cookie?

Sorry, I'm all out.  I do have frozen yogurt bars, though.

I'd rather have a +1, at least I'd break 200. ;)

-Nam

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +99/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2013, 08:51:23 AM »

-Nam

It is not like that in England. You more or less get sign posts to your door, but people in England are usually friendly. I mentioned a while back that one of the scariest things that happened when I was young, was when some religious nuts parked a tow truck with flashing lights and sirens at the end of our drive. They had a video camera to film what my parents did, but we kept out of sight. It was a lot more frightening for me than fans hanging around.
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V