Author Topic: Where is everybody from?  (Read 2544 times)

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
Where is everybody from?
« on: December 07, 2013, 10:45:08 PM »
I notice, once in a while, people posting things referring to their location.

Interestingly, it strikes me that of the members from the USA, there are probably more from the Bible belt than otherwise. I have not actually checked this out, so I may be mistaken, but it seems I rarely see those who claim to be from New England. Maybe we just feel less put upon in this neck of the woods or something.

I also find it personally hard not to to glom onto things which are more or less irrelevant, like feeling a kinship with someone from England just because I spent the first 9+ years of my life there, or with someone who has some knowledge of Polish life/culture/language because my father made it very clear throughout my formative years that this is who I was GOING to be...It would be kind of cool, though, to have a subforum along these lines...or just a lowly thread.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 11:02:13 PM by jynnan tonnix »

Online Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
Re: Where is everybody from?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 11:01:18 PM »
I was born and raised in Nashville, smack dab in the middle of the bible belt.....  :( I moved to LA when I was 18 and now I'm living in Western NY.

I miss Nashville. It's a beautiful city. I'm not close with my parents so I really have no desire to go back. I don't miss the religious fanatics running around. Growing up in a very, very religious household (Pentecostal) I was surrounded by them.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 11:14:59 PM »
I was born in Live Oak, Florida, Suwannee County, North Florida; close to the Georgia border. My father was in the US Army, so we moved to the Fort Bragg (North Carolina) area, then he was stationed outside Stuttgard, Germany for 3 years, so we lived there. Then we moved back to Florida in Opa-Locka (South Florida), then Orlando, then Winter Park, then Ocoee, Florida all in Central Florida, in the Orlando metro area. Then last March I moved back to Live Oak, Florida.

I see myself as a Southerner but not a redneck but my dad is originally from Indiana, so, I guess I'm only half Southern. ;)

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 11:23:00 PM »
I live in central Illinois, south a ways of Springfield, lived in the same general area all of my life.  This may change this coming summer as I might be moving to Wisconsin.  Right now I go to college in Springfield and starting in January I'll be going full time so if anybody needs me look for me there.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 11:43:18 PM »
Eastern USA. Born and raised in Maryland, decades in New England (northern Mass and southern NH), five years traveling, and am now back in Maryland.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 11:46:37 PM »
I was born in Adelaide, South Australia. Since then I have lived in Sydney and Tasmania. I have lived in my current location, Brisbane, since 1994.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 11:56:18 PM »
I have lived in Maryland longer than I have lived anywhere else, going on 25 years and counting.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 12:23:49 AM »
I have lived in Maryland longer than I have lived anywhere else, going on 25 years and counting.

Howdy neighbor.  :)
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +769/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 12:45:57 AM »
Western Montana. I was born and raised in Oregon. I've also lived in Massachusetts, Indiana and Colorado, and briefly in Pennsylvania. I spent 3 years in England when I was in the Air Force, after spending close to a year on a base in Mississippi.

I used to travel all over the country working on log homes. I've spent a lot of time working in Texas, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, California, Idaho, New York and Washington. I worked for shorter periods of time in Oregon, New Mexico, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Georgia, North Carolina, South Dakota, Utah, Mississippi, and Colorado.

I found that the south doesn't have all the rednecks. We have plenty here in Montana, and I sure ran into a lot of them in Indiana and Pennsylvania. This 40 or 50 foot tall cross is up near Kalispell, MT, where I used to live. I had to drive by it several times a week.

I haven't been to either Hawaii or Alaska, but the only two states in the continental US I haven't been to are Delaware and Florida. The latter is Nam's fault, for sure. Because I've been told over and over that Florida has one too many assholes.  ;D
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 01:18:17 AM »
One can't blame me for Florida. I think Rick Scott, and those who voted for him, are more to blame.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 01:27:18 AM »
I've been to Florida only twice. I LOVE the Everglades, and perhaps I'd like the keys if I were to go there. You can pretty much keep the rest.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 01:55:41 AM »
I've been to Florida only twice. I LOVE the Everglades, and perhaps I'd like the keys if I were to go there. You can pretty much keep the rest.

Have you been to the rest? Ocala, Tampa Bay, Pensocala, St. Augustine, Clearwater, Okeechobee, Melbourne, Cape Canaveral--ever been to Live Oak? Suwannee County? Have you been to all of Florida? I haven't, and I've been here 30 years.

"Keep the rest" -- fuck people who say shit like that. Imagine if I said that about France, "Well, Paris is the only place to go there, I mean, keep the rest." how asinine I'd be? That's how you sound, and everyone else who says shit like that.

-Nam

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +74/-1
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 01:59:32 AM »
I was born in Indiana. My family moved a lot until I was in 5th grade, then I did most of the rest of my growing up in Midland, TX, so that's what I identify as my home town. I lived a few years in Tucson, AZ back in the late 1980's, and now live in a suburb of Dallas, TX.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 02:05:52 AM »
Wow, get a grip man. Its too HOT. That's all. I hate the heat. The Everglades is worth the heat for me to see the wildlife. Actually, I've enjoyed most of what I've seen in Florida. But its still too hot. I suffer in the heat.

Offline Antidote

• Graduate
  • Darwins +19/-6
  • >.>
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 02:14:17 AM »
Pensacola, FL over here, right now I'm living in Washington, it's fraking cold.
If it weren't for the hurricanes and crazies (my mothers family) I'd move back.
According to Cpt. Obvious: Theists think they know God, Atheists require evidence.

---

Do not assume I was religious in any way, I have never been religious.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 03:14:15 AM »
Central California coast boy, pretty much all my life. Born in Santa Barbara, spent a couple of years in Kenya (alas, hardly any memories from that time, though I did get a sister I love dearly), then we moved back to California and slowly moved north: Redlands, Santa Barbara, Lompoc, finally San Luis Obispo.

Moved away for college: Santa Rosa, Santa Cruz. Been back in SLO for the last twenty years and probably won't ever leave. It's sometimes hard to find work here, but I love it. Mom, Sis and her family live just minutes away.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 04:13:43 AM »
Wow, get a grip man. Its too HOT. That's all. I hate the heat. The Everglades is worth the heat for me to see the wildlife. Actually, I've enjoyed most of what I've seen in Florida. But its still too hot. I suffer in the heat.

Well, I guess you shouldn't go to mainly any state in the South, or west because they too are really hot. Actually, most them are hotter than Florida. And it mainly rains here. Non-Floridians believe the propaganda of the year round hot sun but Floridians actually know it mainly rains.

But yeah, you're right, I should forego going to a place because I am used to constant heat and rain because they don't have that.

I don't like cold weather but that doesn't mean I would go to a place that is cold; and complain about the place based on its weather. "This place sucks, it's cold."

You sound like a whiner, and an idiot when you say shit like that, or imply it.

-Nam
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 04:16:21 AM by Nam »

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 04:32:55 AM »
I think it's quite plain who's doing the whining here Nam.

Go on up you baldhead.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 05:14:15 AM »
I think it's quite plain who's doing the whining here Nam.

Perhaps but at least I don't talk shit about other places because of the weather. "Canada sucks because it's so damn cold but I like the name."

Idiotic.

-Nam

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 05:27:49 AM »
Traveler never made any objective claims about Florida. Saying 'you can keep the rest' just means that she personally is not interested or keen on most of Florida. Instead of going off half-cocked you could have asked her to explain it further.

I know you're an asshole, but it would be nice if you took a holiday once in a while.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2013, 05:54:43 AM »
I have lived in England all my life.
I lived in West Sussex until I was 11 years old and have spent the last 30 years in Lancashire.
I currently live in Morecambe and absolutely love it here.

http://www.photoeverywhere.co.uk/britain/morecambe/slides/morecambe_at_low_tide.htm
Some great photos if anyone is interested, just click the above link.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 05:57:27 AM by Jonny-UK »
"Do I look like someone who cares what god thinks" - pinhead

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2013, 05:58:35 AM »
Originally from outside this and every other universe, currently living in a human body in Portugal.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2013, 07:09:44 AM »
I'm from Derby, UK, home of Rolls Royce Aero Engines. I left in 1969 and went to Hull (note spelling), and then, much later, St Albans.

The photo (following Johnny-UK's example) is of Derby c. 1950 and I'm old enough to remember it like that.

Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2013, 07:13:48 AM »
Traveler never made any objective claims about Florida. Saying 'you can keep the rest' just means that she personally is not interested or keen on most of Florida. Instead of going off half-cocked you could have asked her to explain it further.

I know you're an asshole, but it would be nice if you took a holiday once in a while.

She did explain "it's too hot" -- idiotic. 

To your last point: I don't care. I speak my mind, don't care who you are, if I read or someone say something I find idiotic, I will say something. That's me: live with it, I do.

-Nam

Online shnozzola

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2013, 08:12:32 AM »
Lancaster County Pennsylvania  (5000 farms)

“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2013, 08:33:18 AM »

To your last point: I don't care. I speak my mind, don't care who you are, if I read or someone say something I find idiotic, I will say something. That's me: live with it, I do.
Chill out already, Nam.  Most (or at least much) of Florida is subtropical.  I would detest living there, though visiting would be okay, and yes, because it would be too hot during the summer, and a rainy hot to boot.

By the way, I've lived in both Nebraska and Oklahoma, both of which also get quite hot during the summer, but generally are dry overall.  I dislike it when it's too humid or wet, and I dislike it when it's too hot.  Both at the same time are horrid to deal with (both places periodically get heavy rain, which is awful in 100-degree heat, and I hate it).  You are more than welcome to Florida - I have no interest at all in living there, or even visiting (except during the winter, when it the heat is mostly gone).

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2013, 10:08:38 AM »
I've been lucky enough to live in a number of places, since we moved from England to the USA when I was young, and I later became a Navy wife, which has meant picking up and moving every 3 years or so on the average. We've lived in Connecticut, Scotland, Virginia, Guam, San Diego, Hawaii, and Georgia, bouncing back and forth between Hawaii and Connecticut a few times. Now we are settled back in Connecticut for what will be my husband's final tour, and we plan to retire here. It's the state I've lived in the longest overall, and I find it very comfortable. Love having real seasons again! Plus, my parents are here, and daughter & son in law just bought a house about 15 minutes away.

Like Traveler, I don't do well with heat, and that was the main reason we didn't actually end up staying where we were for our previous tour in Southern Georgia, because we ended up really loving the community, and found some places we really enjoyed going into Jacksonville and St Augustine. But Summer which starts in March and doesn't even think about leaving until November just wasn't going to work.

I loved Hawaii, as well, but again, the lack of seasons was just something which I couldn't get used to, even though we spent a total of almost 7 years there (3 different tours, including one back-to-back).

Scotland was absolutely wonderful.

We've pretty much enjoyed everywhere we have lived, which has made for a really interesting time. I love being a Navy wife. :)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2013, 10:15:04 AM »

Chill out already, Nam.  Most (or at least much) of Florida is subtropical.  I would detest living there, though visiting would be okay, and yes, because it would be too hot during the summer, and a rainy hot to boot.

By the way, I've lived in both Nebraska and Oklahoma, both of which also get quite hot during the summer, but generally are dry overall.  I dislike it when it's too humid or wet, and I dislike it when it's too hot.  Both at the same time are horrid to deal with (both places periodically get heavy rain, which is awful in 100-degree heat, and I hate it).  You are more than welcome to Florida - I have no interest at all in living there, or even visiting (except during the winter, when it the heat is mostly gone).

I talked to my mother this morning and I told her what mm said, and she laughed out loud, and sarcastically said, "That'll be the day." Then she implied that you people should feel lucky: you don't have to deal with me in person.

Think about that for a minute: Nam in person.

-Nam

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2013, 11:48:19 AM »
Chicago/Chicago Suburbs...

More specifically, the town Drew Peterson is from... I guess that shall be our claim to fame.

Personally, outside of the BS thats been going on there lately, I love FL... Orlando, Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Tampa... I loved it all. I love heat whether its humid or not, I love those thunderstorms that come from nowhere and are gone just as soon.