Author Topic: Science And Its Reality  (Read 178 times)

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
Science And Its Reality
« on: December 07, 2013, 08:26:28 AM »
Maybe we should recruit from within the Disqus blocks ...

NPR: Science Sees Its Own Reality In Life's Hall Of Mirrors

The Bible says God created the heaven and earth. God made the great swarms of living creatures. God created us.

Science dismisses this story. It is a fairy tale. But science goes much farther. God is an illusion, yes. But so is the world we fancy that he created.

NPR: Science And Its Reality: Take 2

I agree with commenters on my post last week who challenged the idea that religion and science are competing theories. They are not.

For one thing, religions are not theories; they are not in the explanation and prediction business; and the value that attaches to religious ideas, cultures, texts, practices, attitudes — let's take for granted that there is value — doesn't stem from the fact that these have been tested, confirmed, verified or put to theoretical work using the methods of natural science developed over the last three centuries or so. One way to sum this up: God is not a hypothesis.

It's worth noticing that common sense is not a theory either.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Online Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-0
  • IXNAY
Re: Science And Its Reality
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 01:22:38 PM »
For one thing, religions ... are not in the explanation and prediction business...

For explanation, 2 Timothy 3:16: All Scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for instruction.  For predictions, see the book of Revelation.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
Re: Science And Its Reality
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 07:01:04 AM »

I agree with commenters on my post last week who challenged the idea that religion and science are competing theories. They are not.

For one thing, religions are not theories; they are not in the explanation and prediction business; and the value that attaches to religious ideas, cultures, texts, practices, attitudes — let's take for granted that there is value — doesn't stem from the fact that these have been tested, confirmed, verified or put to theoretical work using the methods of natural science developed over the last three centuries or so. One way to sum this up: God is not a hypothesis.

It's worth noticing that common sense is not a theory either.

I always love this way of defending religion. Whilst it is true that science and religion are about different things as therefor could, in principle, happily co-exist, real life suggests otherwise.

We must now all be fed up with the ideas of Lane Craig et al and the various proofs of god that attempt to describe the generation of the universe. he has worn the argument out - if it wasn't for the fact that it is much older and was already worn out. Then we have the Muslims trying to persuade us that the Qur'an correctly describes the growth of the foetus inside the mother's womb - even though the Qur'an didn't even know that the mother provides half the genetic material for the new baby. These attempts to justify religion on the grounds that it knows about the physical world fail because the authors of the ancient texts didn't know anything like what we do and texts have to be twisted and bend to match what we n ow know.

So, whilst religion is fine when it consists of worship and instruction that results in good citizens and whilst science is best when describing the physical world and developing amazing solutions to life's problems things would be fine. Religion can't cope with being confined to the church / mosque / synagogue and the home but, without its trips into places in science where it should not go it can't survive. I predict things will go a lot hotter for a generation until the drop off of worshippers makes the practice of large scale religion impractical. Only then will we be free of the silly and pointless arguments for god.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)